By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor - Microsoft may increase RAM to 12 GB and GPU clock increase to Xbox One

Blood_Tears said:
tuscaniman99 said:
@Blood_Tears
You must have no clue how much ram costs. I personally bought 16gb ram for $96. Adding 4gb to the console might add $10 to the cost if even that. They would not raise the price of the Xbox One.

You must have no clue about Microsoft pricing model for "extra cost". I know your all about the 2014 price drop that will put everything on even ground and then the gen is over in your eyes. But seriously, get with the program. How much do hard drives cost?   pretty cheap huh?  Did that stop MS for charging a pathetic price on there external harddrives for the 360?   Nope, how much did it cost to buy that 120 gb hard drive for the 360 a few year ago?  what, like $129.00 or around there. ( not the slim one, the original one that clipped onto the side)  I know we are talking about ram here, but I'm using there tactics on harddrives as a precedent for there pricing model.

How much they charged for harddrives is completely irrelevant. Harddrives are not their main production hardware, the console is. There are most likely strategic reasons for MS to price their harddrives that way. Its not really a matter of them trying to make money on harddrives.

Around the Network

Wouldnt be surprised if they did pull something like this. They changed near enough everything else.

AnthonyW86 said:
Pemalite said:
Netyaroze said:
I am sure they cant match the PS4s GPU power with overclocking alone.

Sure they can! At-least in some respects anyway.
For example, compute performance is directly tied into how many Shader Pipelines and the chips respective clockspeed, considering everyone on this forum *loves* to measure things in flops... You would only need an extra 400mhz on the GPU core clock to match the PS4's GPU compute performance. I.E. 1.2ghz core clock which is *not* impossible for a GCN architecture.

However, they would most certainly require additional voltages for that kind of boost, I wasn't an engineer for Microsoft's Xbox, so I'm not aware of the TDP headroom they designed the Xbox One's cooling system around, so in that regard I have NFI.

You are forgetting that the Xbox One uses a one chip apu design. If it were an external card then yes maybe they could achieve those speeds. With the gpu sharing the same space as the cpu? Sorry but no way, not if it was not designed for it from the start. Also it would still be lacking somewhat in the memory bandwidth department.

If they want to increase clock on anything they should increase it on the cpu instead.

I agree with you, if they increase then the hardware also has gets reduced life because of Overclock in long run and this is APU so it cannot be done easily unless it was planned/designed from the beginning.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Carl2291 said:
Wouldnt be surprised if they did pull something like this. They changed near enough everything else.

Not this time, they changed DRM due to the low pre-order sales but this hardware doesn't provide anything with sales but can give little support on catch up with PS4 but not much since these changes has some drawbacks as well.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

VGPolyglot said:
Wouldn't they have to delay the console? Or wouldn't that make it more expensive?

its $500 sounds like a good reason for the price.  But good rumors about xbox one are always false. negative rumors about xbox one is true.  if some one said xbox one killed jesus we would see a million post about it

Around the Network

The X1 has a 500Gb hard drive instead of putting more ram in it let us download as much as we want, I downloaded 20 Gb of rams a month ago

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Getting feedback from developer four months before the launch??? That's crazy.

VGPolyglot said:
Wouldn't they have to delay the console? Or wouldn't that make it more expensive?

This.

Its fake for sure unless they delay the launch.

Nem said:
VGPolyglot said:

This.

Why they did it with the 360?

Nem said:
VGPolyglot said:

This.

I'm not saying this is true but what I read is that the increase in GPU/eSRAM is to 850-900Mhz without change the bad yeilds of the chip. So at the end this increase won't make the system more expensive.

Now add 4GB of RAM makes the system more expensive.