By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's DualShock 4 light bar can't be turned off to save battery

tuscaniman99 said:
@Vetteman94
I will still have to sit or stand 2 feet away from whatever device or wall outlet I am charging it from.

No you won't. Recharge it whilst you are asleep. Problem solved.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Conegamer said:
Also, what are the odds do we think of having a PSEye bundle soon?

Huh?

100%

OT: 

"Not including the ability to turn off the DualShock 4 light bar might annoy some gamers. The feature, which contains three LEDs, can change colors based on what's happening in a game. However, it's designed to work with the PlayStation Camera. If the Camera isn't connected, the light bar is just about useless. And since some gamers won't connect a Camera to their console, the light bar could be little more than an additional drain on the controller's battery."

This is just blatantly false. The camera is not needed for what they describe here, at all. Would be nice to be able to turn it off though, especially if you're playing at night and don't want to light up the house.

What features are you talking about.

1.  The author is describing the fact that the light bar contains 3 LEDs that can changed based on what is happening in the game.

2.  But, the light bar (not identifying to what player which controller belongs) is designed to work with the camera.

3.  If the camera isn't connected, than other than identifying controllers to players, the camera really doesn't have much use (as currently identified by Sony).

BasilZero said:
Conegamer said:
This is why I don't see how I can be the "best controller ever". Maybe it is, but for now I feel as though that light will do nothing but annoy me.

But isnt the light pointing away from you o.O?

Anyways, question to anyone - are you still able to plug in the PS4 controller via USB on the PC/PS4 like the DS3?

Well hopefully it won't distract me. I never said it would, ofcourse. I doubt it will but I can only determine that when I pick up my launch day bundle.

Why so many have to pick up on that and attack here is beyond me. Everyone seems so on-edge lately, and I don't get why. I love the damn system, people! Just because I have one or two reservations and because I don't see ot being the best console ever, it doesn't mean I won't enjoy it!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

VGKing said:
Grasping at straws here people.

The lightbar works just fine without the camera. It flashed red when your health is low, it changes colors depending on which player you are...etc..etc.

That wasn't the point of the article.  The article was just stating that the light bar on the controller can't be turned off.

tuscaniman99 said:
@Eightball
I will have fun swapping out rechargeable battery packs on the more comfortable controller instead of having to sit 2 feet away from the TV while the controller is charging.

You do that... Although everyone that has touched both controllers say the DS4 is better.  I won't have to worry about it because the controllers charge while the system is off and I have 2 DS4s on the way.  But enjoy paying for those multiple battery packs where my battery pack will be included inside the DS4 as any company with common sense would include (or any company that wasn't trying to squeeze every last penny out of their consumers).  But hey, enjoy those battery packs mate!

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
enditall727 said:
Gnac said:
outlawauron said:
Well, at least they'll be able to use the colors to identify P1, P2, P3, etc.

If I see two lights lit up, I know that's player 2's controller. How could colours convey this? Bear in mind that a need for an external reference would add unneccesary complexity.

The PS signature and mascot color "blue" is and will always be P1 or #1, Red is #2, green is #3, Pink is #4

I believe the color goes by the color of the face buttons starting with X

So if an individual ever forgets, they can just look at the buttons on their controller

X = Blue, O = Red, Triangle = Green, Square = Pink

;)

That doesn't quite make complete sense though. SONY's order is Triangle, Circle, X, Square. It's what they use on every logo and peice of advertising. Going by that, the P1 should be green.

I think it's just blue because that is their signature color. Blue or Red, it's a toss up on which is the better P1 color. 

This could be true but i always thought they did it differently so it could fit the face buttons starting with X and it matches up.

I was glad it started with blue because it's my favorite color

Even on the DS3 i like the blue leds more than red or any other color

Without the camera split screen games wont move with the controller

How else will you know the controller is on without the light?
How else will you know which controller is which (i.e player 1 or 2) without the lights?
Isn't there talk of some games using it for functions? E.g the light changing colour to signify health?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

VGKing said:
Don't know if someone mentioned this yet but Xbox One has rumbling triggers, I'm guessing they would rumble in a shooter. That will drain the battery a lot faster than some simple LED light.

BTW, rechargable bluetooth controller > non-rechargable controller that needs batteries.
If you say otherwise you are completely delusional.

Why are you so defensive?

Anyway, the Xbox One, like the Xbox 360, likely will disable rumble when the battery drops below a certain level.  The Xbox One controller also can connect, via Micro-USB cable to function without batteries at all.  And you can purchase a rechargible battery pack for the Xbox One.  To say otherwise, you are completely delusional.

This article isn't about the Xbox One or about Kinect.  It's about the DS4 and the PlayStation Camera.  Learn to ignore off-topic comments, state your point about the topic, and move on. 

Adinnieken said:
pezus said:
Conegamer said:
Also, what are the odds do we think of having a PSEye bundle soon?

Huh?

100%

OT: 

"Not including the ability to turn off the DualShock 4 light bar might annoy some gamers. The feature, which contains three LEDs, can change colors based on what's happening in a game. However, it's designed to work with the PlayStation Camera. If the Camera isn't connected, the light bar is just about useless. And since some gamers won't connect a Camera to their console, the light bar could be little more than an additional drain on the controller's battery."

This is just blatantly false. The camera is not needed for what they describe here, at all. Would be nice to be able to turn it off though, especially if you're playing at night and don't want to light up the house.

What features are you talking about.

1.  The author is describing the fact that the light bar contains 3 LEDs that can changed based on what is happening in the game.

2.  But, the light bar (not identifying to what player which controller belongs) is designed to work with the camera.

3.  If the camera isn't connected, than other than identifying controllers to players, the camera really doesn't have much use (as currently identified by Sony).

What's so amazing about the DS4 + Camera combo? I mean how useful is it really? 
-You can change screen sides based on your position in local multiplayer
-Better Motion Control functions

Adinnieken said:
VGKing said:
Grasping at straws here people.

The lightbar works just fine without the camera. It flashed red when your health is low, it changes colors depending on which player you are...etc..etc.

That wasn't the point of the article.  The article was just stating that the light bar on the controller can't be turned off.

LIke I said, grasping at straws. BTW, for those that don't like charging controllers while playing, you have many options:
-Buy an extra controller for "emergencies"
-Buy a long charging cable

Or if you don't like the lightbar at all, you can buy a 3rd party controller once they come out. I'm sure many 3rd party controller will have no lightbar at all.

It's ridiculous that I even had to make this comment. I mean seriously? People are making a big deal out of this?