By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anybody else underwhelmed by Final Fantasy XV?

Tagged games:

Do you think Final Fantasy XV looks amazing?

Yes. 37 48.68%

Some parts do, others not so much. 16 21.05%

No. 23 30.26%

Total:76

Also, why is vXIII still in the game database? Remove it, you hopefuls!

Around the Network
Galvanizer said:

Xen said:

While that is absolutely true... the gameplay potential in it could be quite big, especially provided they don't go for KH-style limited environments, but mix its gameplay with a big environment with lots of shit to do in, along with a deep and customizeable battle system, and you could have a winner. If they gave me the amount of freedom FF VIII gave, then god damn, it could be fun to play.

The characters are typical Nomura spike and belt slaves, but it doesn't mean it'll turn out boring, especially if there's a nice love story involved. The story of the game itself we don't know much about to judge.

I think that the game had better be freaking huge in order to compensate the current gen visuals, especially seeing as the game is not even cross-gen. Even MGSV is cross gen and yet has better graphics than FFXV.

From what I seen of FFXV, nothing looks amazing. maybe I'm just jaded from waiting for this game for over 7 years. It just doesn't impress me anymore.

The blonde guy looks amazing...ly annoying

Maybe you are jaded. But I see potential in the combination of big environment+ARPG gameplay+good art style. They've shown good scale in the trailer, I believe Nomura can give a nice game.

Galvanizer said:

Xen said:

While that is absolutely true... the gameplay potential in it could be quite big, especially provided they don't go for KH-style limited environments, but mix its gameplay with a big environment with lots of shit to do in, along with a deep and customizeable battle system, and you could have a winner. If they gave me the amount of freedom FF VIII gave, then god damn, it could be fun to play.

The characters are typical Nomura spike and belt slaves, but it doesn't mean it'll turn out boring, especially if there's a nice love story involved. The story of the game itself we don't know much about to judge.

I think that the game had better be freaking huge in order to compensate the current gen visuals, especially seeing as the game is not even cross-gen. Even MGSV is cross gen and yet has better graphics than FFXV.

From what I seen of FFXV, nothing looks amazing. maybe I'm just jaded from waiting for this game for over 7 years. It just doesn't impress me anymore.

well it did start on ps3 and seems to be 1-2 years away so graphics will likely look much better come launch.

and comparing it to MGSV is just mean. no-one can compete with Kojima, he's a genius

Weedlab said:
I'm pleased with it really. I'm sure it will improve between now and launch. Visually I'm content with its current form too, considering it is a cross gen game.

Umm... FFXV is not cross-gen. It's exclusive to PS4/One. That's one of the reasons I find the visuals lacking. the gameplay graphics should be on par with the FMVs. Instead, they look on par with FFXIII.

geddie221 said:
Doesn't look as interesting as I thought it would be. Monolith Soft's X looks to be a better game than FFXV. FF XV looks visually stunning, but it's a bit too different for my liking.

I agree. I'm far more interested in X than I am in FFXV. I would even say the graphics of X are on par with FFXV, even though it's on far inferior hardware.

Galvanizer said:
Weedlab said:
I'm pleased with it really. I'm sure it will improve between now and launch. Visually I'm content with its current form too, considering it is a cross gen game.

Umm... FFXV is not cross-gen. It's exclusive to PS4/One. That's one of the reasons I find the visuals lacking. the gameplay graphics should be on par with the FMVs. Instead, they look on par with FFXIII.

geddie221 said:
Doesn't look as interesting as I thought it would be. Monolith Soft's X looks to be a better game than FFXV. FF XV looks visually stunning, but it's a bit too different for my liking.

I agree. I'm far more interested in X than I am in FFXV. I would even say the graphics of X are on par with FFXV, even though it's on far inferior hardware.

And indeed... if I look at it honestly, not from the point of view of an FF fanboy (even after suffering through XIII, I remain ), X looks quite a bit better so far.

Around the Network

Xen said:

The blonde guy looks amazing...ly annoying

Maybe you are jaded. But I see potential in the combination of big environment+ARPG gameplay+good art style. They've shown good scale in the trailer, I believe Nomura can give a nice game.

Yes, the scale looks nice. However, having big scale is not enough. Open world has been done to death this gen. FFXV had better be freaking massive in scale to compensate the visuals. I'm talking of  scale on par with Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, and GTAV.

ktay95 said:

well it did start on ps3 and seems to be 1-2 years away so graphics will likely look much better come launch.

and comparing it to MGSV is just mean. no-one can compete with Kojima, he's a genius

I don't think the graphicss will be much better. Why do I say this? Because when FFXIII was first announced at E3 2006, the graphics looked better than the graphics in the final game released in 2010. I doubt the opposite will happen with FFXV.

Also, MGSV is cross-gen. I would be more leniant to the graphics of FFXV if it was also a cross-gen title.

Xen said:

And indeed... if I look at it honestly, not from the point of view of an FF fanboy (even after suffering through XIII, I remain ), X looks quite a bit better so far.

X looks amazing. It's is my most anticipated JRPG by a large margin.

Galvanizer said:
Weedlab said:

geddie221 said:

Oh I see. I was operating on outdated information since E3 (or rumors rather). Well ... was the previous build transferred to next gen instead of building it from the ground up? But looking at the video, it is still relatively impressive, and it is an early title for these consoles. I suppose we'll be closer to what you are describing in future installments. At this stage it does look a cut above what current gen has produced.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Galvanizer said:

Nothing about the game amazes me, and I remember being blown away by the reveal trailer of FFXIII at E3 2006. I think it's because FFXV is simply VersusXIII renamed and I've seen and read about the game for like 7 years now. There's nothing exciting and "new" about the story, characters and battle system, especially seeing as we already saw a gameplay trailer in back January 2011.

To put it bluntly: I have no interest in the game. The E3 reveal did nothing to arouse my interest. Also, the game doesn't even look next-gen. The graphics looked like it could easily run on a PS3 in 480p and 30 frames per second.

What are you talking about? The game looked beautiful and much better looking than game I've seen or played from this generation.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

What the hell? XV's graphics were easily one of the most impressive out of the E3 lineup.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Galvanizer said:
Barozi said:
Haha no it didn't even close to last gen

It certainly looked current gen to me, and I'm not even a graphics whore. Compared to the other next-gen exclusive games, it didn't look like a big leap over current gen visuals. You should watch the gameplay walthrough of The Division. You can see a clear graphical difference in textures and lightning when compared to FFXV.

My eye has a hard enough time distinguishing graphics between these generations. The graphics are improved, but only just. The only real "wow, purdy" next gen games I've seen are Ryse and Forza 5, both of which are or appear to be on rails. Not exactly a fair comparison.