By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U: If You'd Designed the Wii U, How Would You Make it More Appealing as a system/SKU?

DevilRising said:
catofellow said:

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/02/wii-u-gamepad-costs-around-140-to-replace/

You may say that is retail price and Nintendo is profiting, but even if we assume it costs $100, that is still enough to bridge the gap to your proposed $50 price drop.

And to the second part of your argument, there aren't many games out yet, and the install base is very low.  It would not be too harmful to make changes now.

But it would be nonsensical and pointless. Trying to suddenly make the Wiimote and nunchuck setup the "MAIN" controller for Wii U NOW, would be a huge step back, not forwards. Motion controls are not the future of gaming. They were a neat side thing, but most gamers prefer buttons and dpads and analog sticks. Not flailing their arms around like idiots. The GamePad, techwise, and function-wise, is a MUCH more advanced and much better controller than the Wiimote ever was. Yes the Wiimote was/is simple, but the best thing it ever had going for it was the IR pointer, for direct interaction with menus, shooter game aiming, etc. But menues are more easily navigated by a simple touch of the GamePad screen. And that's why the system still HAS Wiimote backwards compatibility, so that you can use it for FPS and other shooter games if you want.

But no, from the stance you're suggesting, the Wii U would not suddenly explode in popularity and sales just because Nintendo made blundering idiots of themselves and said "HEY EVERYBODY, WE GOOFED, JUST KIDDING, HERE'S FREE WIIMOTES!!!". That isn't going to "save" the system. The only thing that is going to SAVE the system, is games, GOOD games, and LOTS of them. Period.

I agree that the Gamepad is ideal but the truth is Nintendo messed up in regards to the Gamepad and the Wii U in order to cut corners, making the current setup of the Wii U controllers is a mess.

Having the Wii U be able to use the previous generation of Wii remotes is fine but they advertised the Wii U with people playing with Wii remotes. Based on most multiplayer games they are built around the idea of that or Pro Controllers which makes it seem like the Gamepad isn't necessary. The fact that consumers can't buy extra Gamepads, a number of games can be played without it and there are no games that use the set up of two Gamepads at the same time only gives strength to the idea that the Gamepad is a gimmick rather then the center piece in which the console was built around. Heck the fact that they didn't bother to create a newer style of Wii remote or Wii remote+ to market as a new controller is just as bad.

Even Sony had the sense to rename the Dual Shocks and add certain new features with each iteration. The way Nintendo has the Wii U marketed, while cost effective for themselves and previous Wii consumers comes off as half-assed rather then revolutionary or even evolutionary.

Around the Network

My first post! I had to add my 2 cents.

I actually bought a Wii U at launch... and returned it the next day. I returned it because of these two issues:
1. The range of the Wii U controller in off-tv play mode was horrible. I had the console downstairs and couldn't even play on the main level of my house (one floor up).
2. Wii games could not be played on the Wii Pad in off-tv mode. If I could play Xenoblade and Super Metroid on VC (without having to repurchase!) I would have been happy.

Personally I'd have released an evolutionary console instead of a revolutionary one. So drop the horrible tablet and come up with an updated Wii-mote or something, perhaps without mandatory motion controls but the pointer and the fact you could rest your hands well apart from each other were neat. Make it stronger, something like quad-core IBM processor and an HD 4870. Also, deliver on online connectivity and social media and gaming.

DevilRising said:
catofellow said:

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/02/wii-u-gamepad-costs-around-140-to-replace/

You may say that is retail price and Nintendo is profiting, but even if we assume it costs $100, that is still enough to bridge the gap to your proposed $50 price drop.

And to the second part of your argument, there aren't many games out yet, and the install base is very low.  It would not be too harmful to make changes now.

But it would be nonsensical and pointless. Trying to suddenly make the Wiimote and nunchuck setup the "MAIN" controller for Wii U NOW, would be a huge step back, not forwards. Motion controls are not the future of gaming. They were a neat side thing, but most gamers prefer buttons and dpads and analog sticks. Not flailing their arms around like idiots. The GamePad, techwise, and function-wise, is a MUCH more advanced and much better controller than the Wiimote ever was. Yes the Wiimote was/is simple, but the best thing it ever had going for it was the IR pointer, for direct interaction with menus, shooter game aiming, etc. But menues are more easily navigated by a simple touch of the GamePad screen. And that's why the system still HAS Wiimote backwards compatibility, so that you can use it for FPS and other shooter games if you want.

But no, from the stance you're suggesting, the Wii U would not suddenly explode in popularity and sales just because Nintendo made blundering idiots of themselves and said "HEY EVERYBODY, WE GOOFED, JUST KIDDING, HERE'S FREE WIIMOTES!!!". That isn't going to "save" the system. The only thing that is going to SAVE the system, is games, GOOD games, and LOTS of them. Period.

Why are you adding quotes to something I didn't say or imply?  Never said it would "save" the system.  Poor writing on your part.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

I love consoles because how easy is to deal with them, I hate having to customize and stuff like that, so, I would like a 500GB HD, I don´t want to use external HD or anything like that.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

Judging by most of the post, the wii u is a failure in concept.

1. The name would be "Nintendo U". There's no reason to put the confusing Wii in front. It is a smooth transition from "we" to "you" that makes sense and it also can be exploited perfectly for marketing reasons (U-Topia, et)

2. More and better online. Nintendo hasn't understood that it is not easy to find three other people to play a whole bunch of games at a good level. Warioware games, Party series, Mario Party series, Sports/ Resort series, NSMB series, DKC series and the list is endless.

3. Quality and top third party titles. There is absolutely NO excuse for not having a good FIFA, a good NBA2K, GTA5 and a whole bunch of other top titles in this console.

4. Nintendo should not be so stingy. Nintendo Land should be a free bundle with the console.and Pro Controller should be included with the console so that hardcore gamers would not be feel left out.

5. Greater variety of games. I LOVE Mario, but I feel like Nintendo is playing too safe with its top titles and doesn't give a chance for new IP's and new gameplay experiences. NSMBU should be the last 2D platformer with that artstyle, SM3DW was awesome, but I hope that the upcoming full 3D Mario game should not be released until 2016...

catofellow said:

Why are you adding quotes to something I didn't say or imply?  Never said it would "save" the system.  Poor writing on your part.

I didn't quotation that word to imply you said it. Using quotation marks around one word is a frequently used means of providing emphasis or implying falsehood. If you were not aware of this simple fact that most other fluent English speakers are, that isn't my fault. Poor reading skills on your part.

And congratulations for focusing on/replying to that one tiny little bit of what I wrote, and completely ignoring everything else I actually had to say. Cheers.

BloodyRain said:
Judging by most of the post, the wii u is a failure in concept.

The concept is sound, they just failed to execute it at every level from hardware to software releases to promotion.

DevilRising said:
catofellow said:

I didn't quotation that word to imply you said it. Using quotation marks around one word is a frequently used means of providing emphasis or implying falsehood. If you were not aware of this simple fact that most other fluent English speakers are, that isn't my fault. Poor reading skills on your part.

And congratulations for focusing on/replying to that one tiny little bit of what I wrote, and completely ignoring everything else I actually had to say. Cheers.

This is a common tactic used is message boards.  You posted outlandish comments and put quotes around them to denigrate what I was saying.

DevilRising said:

But no, from the stance you're suggesting, the Wii U would not suddenly explode in popularity and sales just because Nintendo made blundering idiots of themselves and said "HEY EVERYBODY, WE GOOFED, JUST KIDDING, HERE'S FREE WIIMOTES!!!". That isn't going to "save" the system. The only thing that  is going to SAVE the system, is games, GOOD games, and LOTS of them. Period.

The key is the first seven words of above.  I never suggested that sales would suddently explode in popularity, nor did I state Nintendo should give out free wii motes, nor did I say that it was going to save the system.  If you are adding quotes to make a general point, do it in a stand alone post, don't do it in response to my post, when I didn't say or imply the things that you were typing. 

I only am responding to how I would design the SKU, which is taken from the perpective of what would make me more likely to purchase the console.  I believe the standard gamepad, while opening some unique opportunities, is not worth the additional cost it adds.  I believe the console would sell more at a lower price, even if it came at the cost of excluding said gamepad.  I believe Nintendo's current strategy up to now hasn't worked.

DevilRising said:

Pot calling the Kettle black because of........

DevilRising said:

Trying to suddenly make the Wiimote and nunchuck setup the "MAIN" controller for Wii U NOW, would be a huge step back, not forwards. Motion controls  are not the future of gaming. They were a neat side thing, but most gamers prefer buttons and dpads and analog sticks. 

Reread my original post.  Namely..."Sell the 32 GB unit at 199.99 with a Wii Mote and pro controller bundled."

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million