By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Does Microsoft Need To Do To Win You Back?

What does Microsoft need to do to win you back?

Lower the price 41 8.20%

Don't make kinect required 47 9.40%

GAMES, GAMES and more GAMES 39 7.80%

Free online 17 3.40%

Offer more free games on live 3 0.60%

Other 6 1.20%

All of the above 66 13.20%

They already won me back :) 52 10.40%

They will never win me back 167 33.40%

See results 62 12.40%

Total:500

Sell the entire Xbox Brand and Microsoft Studios to Sony. Heheheh.

Around the Network

After Microsoft announced that they would be backtracking on their DRM stance, I no longer have an issue picking up an Xbox One in the future. However, I have gone through three Xbox 360s over the course of the generation, so I personally would be a terrible consumer if I did not wait and see how reliable Xbox One's hardware is. While I understand that Microsoft has stated that there will be no repeat of the RROD fiasco this upcoming generation, I'm going to need more than Microsoft's word before I support their console.

Thus, I'm going to wait for about a year after the Xbox One launches, and if it does appear to have a low failure rate, then I'll be more than happy to pick one up.  Other than that, I would love to see more first-party development, and less reliance on third-party exclusivity.

Microsoft never lost me.   And in truth - they never lost most of their potential user base.  

The obsessive gaming 'core', i.e those who check internet gaming forums every 10 minutes, represent an absolute minority of the gaming world.  And there's clearly a subsection of core gamers who want Microsoft to fail, no matter what.  No doubt as a result of their loyalty to a different console brand. 

But the truth is that the vast majority of those tens of millions of console gamers, don't really obsess over games and have such entrenched gaming brand warfare like we do.    

The main thing that Microsoft should do now - is lower their price.  Keep Kinect 2.  The big mistake with Kinect 1 is that it was a peripheral that MS had to then market and in doing so make us think they didnt care about the core gamer anymore. 

MS should just bite the bullet and lower the price.  The main difference now being that big boy Sony is also in town, has a long term fan base, has an image of appealing to the gaming enthusiasts, and seems to be currently more in tune with the rants of the internet forums.   And no doubt loving every minute of MS's current fumblings and policy reversals.  Even though they themselves will almost certainly have considered DRM.  They themselves are following MS's route of charging for online. And really just NEED to be making more money, unlike MS who are boasting record profits at the moment. 

And while we're at it:  

Kinect:  As a 'core gamer' I own Kinect, but never use it.  My kids love Happy Action Theater (Double Fine's Excellent Kinect Game) and there are a few good kinect games like Child of Eden, Dance Central, Fruit Kinect, Gunstringer.  

Most are just pants.  But  mainly because Kinect is currently just some beta tech demo and doesnt work well.  The lag is terrible and the resolution low.  And core gamers want to sit on their butt playing games with a controller.  Still as an interface UI device, and a tool to augment games, its fine.  Its just that Kinect 1 is a bit broken.

Kinect 2, which looks positively space age, seemingly solves this with faster data transfer speeds, higher resolution and better tech all round.  However its still an extension of the user interface.  Core gamers will prefer to sit down and use a controller.  But they might not mind being able to 'Call Friend' and have a video pop up to speak to their mates in game ,whilst controlling some giant robot in a fire fight.  Microsofts big kinect mistake was selling it as a separate peripheral in the first place, and marketing the crap out of it, making the gaming enthusiast think that Microsoft had lost the plot.  I mean - remember the kid playing with Skittles from the previous E3?  Terrible. 

As for DRM:  Jesus - what a internet fuelled frenzy based on virtually nothing.  Sure some like to own discs.  Fine.  But MS already said you could trade them, gift them, have a family sharing option.  And yeah Steam, Origin and all the rest exist and noone cares. 

And always online?  (Well once in the last 24 hours).  And?  Every online game requires it anyway.  All PC MMO's.  Every mobile phone is online to work. And so what? 

What a bunch of hot air for nothing.  Unless of course you live on a nuclear submarine......  Right.....in which case you probably shouldn't be on-line in case you accidentally give out military secrets whilst trash talking in a COD match.  Trust me, its for the national good.  

Still I hope MS drop the price, or else they're going to get stung in sales compared to Sony.  They dont have the luxury of being the only boys releasing their new console this year anymore. 

Let the battle commence.  Real gamers know its stupid to take sides in game wars.  But that never stopped anyone.  I'll be getting both anyway.  

Microsoft is finished in the console business. They will never recover from this.

In 3 years when the sales have scraped the bottom or too long Microsoft will realize this and start to downsize their gaming division. From then on we will start to see less and less exclusives.

In 7 years from now the last Microsoft console will be produced.

DirtyP2002 said:
Release better exclusives than the competition and they already do that, so I am fine.

Then why are you posting in this thread? It says "what does Microsoft need to do to WIN YOU BACK?"...I just don't understand...

OT - It's 100$ more expensive than the PS4 and yet it's the weaker console. Drop the Manditory Kinect from your console and make it 350$, Then I'll buy it as my second console (instead of getting Wii U). 

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Microsoft is finished in the console business. They will never recover from this.

In 3 years when the sales have scraped the bottom or too long Microsoft will realize this and start to downsize their gaming division. From then on we will start to see less and less exclusives.

In 7 years from now the last Microsoft console will be produced.

Quoted, this is going to be gold

it really hard to say, even this gen MS hadn't really won me over; more like squeezed tightly on my balls and demanded my to buy all the JRPG's they moneyhatted :p.

In all seriousness MS is my least favorite of the big 3; not that I hate them but my priorities will always be Sony then Nintendo.......and maybe Microsoft, I certainly wasn't going to buy the XB1 will all the DRM bs that was going about, but with now all that gone I probably won't get one until the very end of the 8th gen if at all...MS was mostly seen to be the "Money Hungry" of the bunch and I think they showed their true colors with the XB1 pre-180, I find it absolutely stunning that no one thought that the polices they we enacting were going to create that ensued...it just shows a huge disconnect in my opinion and I will probably be even more hesitant to buy an XB1 than I was for the 360(took me about 2-3 years to finally get one)

drop the price and kinect and Im there. I can't miss out on KI

They will never win me back 94 35.07% is crazy.. and not credible

Why do you think the "One" is cheaper to make? It has a tv functionality that the PS4 doesn't have and they made a special ram chip for it then you add in Kinect having features that the PS Camera is missing and Kinect is in every box. The price is probably reasonable for what you are getting.
I'm a PS fanboy but if Live was free and I had to pay for Plus to get online I might switch over. Of course MS started the pay for online problem so that won't be happening.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.