By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Miyamoto's take on new IP's right?

DucksUnlimited said:
miz1q2w3e said:
I've always noticed a difference between how Nintendo does things vs the others.

Nintendo will use the same character with ideas that could have been their own new IP. Kirby does this a lot.
Others use the same game but with different characters. The Division from Ubisoft comes to mind.

The division is just a character swap of a previous game? Which one?

It's just another shooter.

Around the Network

I know I'm in the minority, but I want Miyamoto out. He doesn't seem to contribute much anymore. :/

We get it, Mario sells, but people want new universes and worlds and characters, not just a new game with Mario strapped on.

Here's an example, Pikmin was originally supposed to feature little Mario's I believe, and instead they gave it it's own style and characters. I would argue that if Pikmin had little Mairo's, it would feel like just another generic mario spin off.

The Division was just an example, but it's more about the general idea that new character = new IP which I don't agree with. Something like Dante's Inferno would probably be a better example.

Which would you prefer?
a) 5 shooters with different characters that all play similarly.
b) 5 games with the same group of character that play nothing alike.

miz1q2w3e said:

It's just another shooter.

I don't see how you can say that before the game is even released. It seems to be doing some pretty ambitious stuff with its quasi-MMO elements.

Mensrea said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I want Miyamoto out. He doesn't seem to contribute much anymore. :/

We get it, Mario sells, but people want new universes and worlds and characters, not just a new game with Mario strapped on.

Here's an example, Pikmin was originally supposed to feature little Mario's I believe, and instead they gave it it's own style and characters. I would argue that if Pikmin had little Mairo's, it would feel like just another generic mario spin off.

Reminds me of Mario vs. DK I was playing the other day. Could've been made into a 'new IP' instead of people thinking it's a Mario spin-off.

You're not in the minority. I don't like him anymore because of what he did to Paper Mario T_T

Around the Network
miz1q2w3e said:
The Division was just an example, but it's more about the general idea that new character = new IP which I don't agree with. Something like Dante's Inferno would probably be a better example.

Which would you prefer?
a) 5 shooters with different characters that all play the same.

hmm, there are alot of great shooters that introduce vast new world and characters/story to explore even if they do play somewhat the same. Some examples are the uncharted series, gears of war, halo and bioshock series to name a few. The second group you mentioned would prob lack all the points I included in my first point. It would be in same world with same char just doing diff things.

miz1q2w3e said:

Which would you prefer?
a) 5 shooters with different characters that all play the same.

It's actually a pretty bad example. Dante's Inferno is one of the oldest IPs around!

But it's not about which you would prefer. Either a game is a new IP... or it isn't.

I get that Miyamoto is more about experimenting with game mechanics than with characters and worlds. That is very, very, very obvious after all this time. It's a valid perspective, and part of what makes Miyamoto, Miyamoto. But not everyone takes the approach that a character should just be a basically interchangeable part of the game, and for that I'm glad.

miz1q2w3e said:
Mensrea said:

Reminds me of Mario vs. DK I was playing the other day. Could've been made into a 'new IP' instead of people thinking it's a Mario spin-off.

You're not in the minority. I don't like him anymore because of what he did to Paper Mario T_T

Yeah, that sucked. Sticker Star was intended to be the sequel to Thousand Year Door, Miyamoto singlehandedly ruined that project. :/

LilChicken22 said:

I’m talking about this quote Miyamoto said in a recent interview:

But the question that we always ask is: “Does a new character really make it a new game?” And to me, the answer to that is, “No.” What makes it a new game is new gameplay and new interactions.[1]

Love Miyamoto and I agree but at the same time, he speaks BS.

I think all of us that lived through the 16-bit and 32/64-bit eras remember the various amounts 'clone' games that originated from popular ones during that period. Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat both had various imitators both in visuals and gameplay. Super Mario 64 created a legion of similarly playing knock offs, as did Resident Evil after RE2 blew up. Even today, do people really care about every Tetris or Angry Bird clone out there? So in that sense he is right, a new character, setting and such doesn't always make for a new viable IP.

That being said, the Nintendo approach these past few years is still crap.

Nintendo in the past didn't really have problems trying out new IPs with similar gameplay to other major IPs. The current Nintendo mindset seems to be the opposite however, prehaps it is just a issue with the industry as a whole in terms of rising development costs but the over reliance on established IPs that play slightly different doesn't mean they aren't in the same category of unoriginality as a new character that plays the same.

I mean for all his talk, outside adding slightly different vehicles does Mario Kart really play so differently over the last few incarnations? And for all his talk about not being able to come up with an idea of how to make another F-Zero game, how is it that we see a Mario Kart on every system since the SNES? How exactly is the New Super Mario Bros series any different then a remix version of classic Mario side scrollers with new abilities and stages?

I loved Miyamoto when he was a producer/designer but this seems more or less corporate speak justifying Nintendo's policies mixed with the truth. And it doesn't take into account that the audience seeing familiar characters/settings at a glance are going to think the game is similar to one in the past and judge it based on that. Reusing IPs can help have a built in audience but at the same time it can cause the audience to be judge the game on a different standard that it might not live up to as well. He is an executive and has a lot of power in determining Nintendo's direction when it comes to software, which right now is looking suspect. No disrespect but he isn't the be all or end all of the industry or how it should be run, especially these days as the Japanese side of things seems to be regressing on the major console front.

Forgot to answer the question.

No, actually, I don't agree with Miyamoto's take on new IP. I think given how most people can't really tell if your title is really new or not, and tend to judge based on characters/universe, they would be better off doing what everyone else does with new IP reskins. This is what I think they should do from their perspective as game publishers and devs.

From my perspective as a gamer, however, I don't care about what characters they use as long as they deliver where it counts. I don't care that they used familiar characters in MvDK or Kirby MA.