By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Non-English speaking gamers, in what language do you play games?

My native language is Spanish, but I always play video games in English, and that's without exceptions. The reasons I do this is because:

1) I keep learning words in English I never knew before, so I use games as a self study method.

2) Some terms in Spanish sound weird. Hearing "Mushroom Kingdom" in Spanish is horrible, it pains me to think that younger generations will say that name in Spanish lol.

Maybe it's just a habit. When I was a kid practically all games were in English (even though I didn't understood it at the time) so maybe it's something that just sticks in my mind where I NEED to play games in English. Heck, even when I go to friend's house to play and they have the games in Spanish it just feels odd. Maybe I have a problem lol.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

I'm an anglophone, however since I'm learning French and German I will sometimes play games in those languages.

only in english, except Scribblenauts, in portugueses of course.

Click HERE and be happy 

My native language is spanish as well, and I only play my games in spanish when the dubbing is on latin american spanish, preferably Mexican spanish, I hate the eh spanish from spain? lol.

other than that I play my games in english.

Usually in spanish when given the choice, the exception will be pokemon, I cant stand terms like placaje on there

Around the Network

Always english.
When a game is in my native language, dutch, it annoys the sh*t out of me.
it just... it doesn't feel right. Even when trophies in dutch pop up I can't help it.

I also have this with movies.. Dutch subtitles okay, but dubbed. hell no. (unless it's a dutch movie)

Swedish usually isn't available as an option, but even when it is I always choose English since the translation often is missing contexts.

Additionally, our language sounds way too "serious" for things like video games and TV shows. Take the Sonic character "Shadow" for example. In English the name sounds pretty cool; A bit silly perhaps, but certainly not annoying. In Swedish, on the other hand, the name sounds incredibly childish to the point where it would be painful to hear it translated in a video game. Same goes for pretty much any military command and such: It's as if the dialogue is taken straight from a child's play (in which the proper English terms would need to be translated).

So yeah, keep it English please.

Reino champiñon! xD

Japanese and English.

If it's only text i don't care if it's english or spanish, if it's a japanese game i usually prefer the original voices; But when there are options and the dubbing is good (which most of the times it is) i go for LATAM Spanish, --[of course some great eng voice actors and greatly acted games are exempt]-- but i've always thought english voices, videogame voices in particular, are very very anemic in comparison', they don't have that ''feeling'' sometimes EVEN if the voice acting is good and it's the original language... they lack emotion, they tell me nothing and LATAM dub is one of the best for capturing those feelings and not just ''speak'' but actually express exactly what the character wants to say, and that can make a great adventure even MORE epic.

We have those amazing voices in games and anime dub but dubbed movies are usually worse, maybe because the original actors(voices) are actually good ^^

Note: Spanish (Spain) dub is also great at capturing that feeling but we just can't... AAgh.. south americans will understand ^^

Mostly English but sometimes Spanish... Hehe! And I hate, HATE Pokemon in Spanish... Haha!