By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Civilization Wii was canceled: Developers didn't expect wii success

Civ Revolution was developed especially with consoles in mind, so the Wiimote doesn't fit naturally into that game's concept. Here's hoping for a more traditional Civ game on Wii in the coming years. Looking forward to the DS version though.

What I find funny is that Firaxis say they don't have the manpower to redraw all the graphics for the Wii. Civ games have always been butt ugly, and it just became worse as they tried harder.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

A big dissapointment. As time passes, the "whut? The Wii was successful?" games will shrink.

In the meantime, I'll play Spore on the Wii kthx.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

reverie said:
Civ Revolution was developed especially with consoles in mind, so the Wiimote doesn't fit naturally into that game's concept. Here's hoping for a more traditional Civ game on Wii in the coming years. Looking forward to the DS version though.

What I find funny is that Firaxis say they don't have the manpower to redraw all the graphics for the Wii. Civ games have always been butt ugly, and it just became worse as they tried harder.

Both civ3 and civ4 graphics looks good for a strategy game (especially with mods). The whole map with it's graphics as well as all menus need to be very accessable , thus ram is a big requirment for these kind of games. Wii graphic have to be scaled down to fit the game into 88mb of ram compared to 512mb.

damkira said:

I was shocked to learn the Wii version had been canceled, but this actually makes sense... and the last thing Wii needs is more shovelware.

Calling the Civilization series shovelware is... insane. Its recognized as possibly the best turn based strategy game series in history. Its okay not to be a PC gamer, but that sentiment is just wrong no matter how one feels about the game personally.

I was looking forward to this... Ugh stupid decisions... Really the Wii is more fitting for this, not only for the pointer controls but also the ''audience'', and I doubt it'll sell well on PS360.

Ah well, I'll grab the DS version.

Around the Network
lolita said:
I was looking forward to this... Ugh stupid decisions... Really the Wii is more fitting for this, not only for the pointer controls but also the ''audience'', and I doubt it'll sell well on PS360.

What a strange thing to say. Do you think there are more strategy lovers on the "casual" Wii than on the "hardcore" 360 and PS3? I don't, beneath the PC, the 360 and PS3 are a lot more likely to house strategy fans in my earnest opinion. I know that titles such as Advance Wars do well on DS, but those titles are hardly very comparable to Civilization which is generally a very, very deep, complex and realistic strategy series.

Mummelmann said:
lolita said:

What a strange thing to say. Do you think there are more strategy lovers on the "casual" Wii than on the "hardcore" 360 and PS3? I don't, beneath the PC, the 360 and PS3 are a lot more likely to house strategy fans in my earnest opinion. I know that titles such as Advance Wars do well on DS, but those titles are hardly very comparable to Civilization which is generally a very, very deep, complex and realistic strategy series.

There definitely are more on the wii.  The wii is not just for casuals.  The only place that might have more is the PC, and lots more PC owners are getting a Wii than a 360 or PS3.  The 360 and PS3 are not interested in hardcore strategy and thinking games, they are all about the graphics.  Wii is where the hardcore strategy gamers are.

lolita said:

I disagree. It's more fit for the 360 as it has the bigger advantages: HD means you can see more on the screen at once also 360 is more of a online system (Live) which is what Rev. is aimed for. As for the wii mote I much rather have a mouse instead of trying to aim at my TV. I would think Firaxis design this game with mouse support especially with multiplayer in mind.

@ jlauro

If PS3/360 is all about graphics then the Wii is about about casual games.

I have to disagree, for,

1-Civilisation is a great strategic game and is complex, but isn't all that hard. People who don't really play games can play this game and win it, since there are so many ways to win. So casuals can be interested in it. Plus I really wonder what casual means for you. For me it just means someone who doesn't play games much, but it doesn't mean that they don't play complex games. Some casual games are more complex than "hardcore" games (hack and slash, how complex! *rolleyes*)

2-The Wii mote is perfect for this game, since pointing and pressing on buttons act like a mouse. It can be done with regular controllers, but it won't be as effective and intuitive.

3-Civilisation never was about huge, phenomenal graphics. Civ 4 looks good but it didn't blow me away.

4-I hear many things about wives playing at civ with their husband either in co-op or against, which is somewhat Wii's philosophy, play together.

Mummelmann said:

Calling the Civilization series shovelware is... insane. Its recognized as possibly the best turn based strategy game series in history. Its okay not to be a PC gamer, but that sentiment is just wrong no matter how one feels about the game personally.

Hear, hear! I couldn't have said it better myself.  While I disagree with the broad categorization of 360 fans as "all about the graphics", which is obviously untrue and a poor argument, I do feel that Civilization would be a good fit for the Wii's demographics. In online polls, the audience of the Civ series consistently shows that it's considerably older than that of most other series, with large numbers of fans in their 30s, 40s, and even older. Maybe we'll still see this series somewhere down the road, hopefully.

The 360 and PS3 gamers tend to be very serious players, no doubt about that. I can easily see them investing dozens of hours into a single game, as Civilization often requires. I'm less certain that turn-based strategy games are a good fit for services like XBox Live and the Playstation Network, however. I'm sure there will be an audience - just not very large. That's why I'm not sure basing development of a turn-based strategy game around catering to the largely teen/early 20s demographic of these online networks is such a good idea.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)