By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Demon's Souls 2 and "Evolve" Listed for the PS4 by a Swedish Retailer

Slimebeast said:
From is concentrating all their talent on the Dark Souls series now., a sequel to Demon Soul would be made by another developer and would suck.

Not that there's any truth to this rumor.

1.  Various insiders on gaf have either directly claimed or strongly hinted that Sony is working with From Software yet again on the Demon's Souls IP:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65162306#post65162306
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67475551#post67475551

2.  At E3, From Software staff strongly hinted at a next generation Demon's Souls sequel while demonstrating Dark Souls 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMZyj7B734&feature=youtu.be&t=8m22s

3. The director of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Hidetaka Miyazaki, is coincidentally not directing Dark Souls 2, which would leave him free to work on a certain rumored next generation version of the series:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dark_souls_ii/b/ps3/archive/2013/06/24/dark-souls-ii-39-s-new-director-talks-accessibility-and-has-never-broken-a-controller-in-frustration.aspx

4.  I can't find a source to corroborate this, but I remember reading that SCEA took over control of Demon's Souls' servers from Atlus in North America alongside the game being made available free to PS+ members, and SCEA/SCEE finally accepting the franchise as one of their own would make sense if they're intending to push a sequel.

What do those 3 points (or 4 points, if my memory is correct about the last one) imply when taken together?  :P  

Now, if this is happening (and all signs, including this most recent listing, point to that being the case), I'm sure one might be curious as to why this is happening. There a number of factors probably contributing to this decision.  From Software is probably unable to bankroll a next generation title on their own (note: Namco merely published Dark Souls outside of Japan, while the game was developed entirely by From Software and self-published in Japan).   SCE is probably interested in helping a reliable third party establish themselves on their new hardaware, much like what we've seen with Microsoft and games like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3.   Further, SCEJ has formed a strong relationship with From Software over the last three geneartions.  Lastly, the producer of Demon's Souls from SCE's Japan Studio being a big fan of King's Field.  These probably all played a part in helping such a deal come together.

And one last point, this is what Yoshida said in an interview when asked about Demon's Souls two weeks ago:

"We have been great partners with From Software from the very beginning of PlayStation," Yoshida said. "I was actually the account manager of them when we launched PS one in Japan. I worked directly with [Naotoshi Zin], president of From, when they were entering into video game development. We have a long history of working as platform holder, developer and publisher in the case of Demon's Souls. We love them."

I asked Yoshida if Demon's Souls is a franchise that could join series like Killzone, Gran Turismo and Uncharted as a multi-PlayStation platform — and if Sony would consider developing a sequel without From Software as the primary developer.

"That's a great question, but because of the attention that will get, I choose not to answer," Yoshida said. "But personally, I love Demon's Souls. I spent hours and hours and hours [playing it]."

"I love the team, I love the game and yeah, I'd really like to see more. But that's all that I will say."

Around the Network

Would purchase a PS4 instantly if it meant a Souls game.

IMO, Demon's Souls was a better game than Dark Souls. I played both quite extensively, and of course I enjoyed both games, but Demon's was superior in my book.

Maybe they can leave the IP in the hands of their JAPAN Studio to give it that 'Japanese touch' and then get some support development from the likes of Santa Monica, etc? With the creativity and skills of that Japan Studio, and overall quality of Sony's studios, I think we could see a pretty epic game indeed.

BRING BACK DEMON'S SOULS!

edit:

After seeing the above post, I would of course welcome FROM Software working on the next Demon's Souls as well, but I thought they had moved on to Dark Souls, which might not seem to be the case!

I did enjoy demon souls about 1% more than dark souls. I loved them both to bits though and would buy a demon souls sequel day one if it were true, but surely this would hurt the sales of dark souls 2 if it were true.....

makingmusic476 said:
Slimebeast said:
From is concentrating all their talent on the Dark Souls series now., a sequel to Demon Soul would be made by another developer and would suck.

Not that there's any truth to this rumor.

1.  Various insiders on gaf have either directly claimed or strongly hinted that Sony is working with From Software yet again on the Demon's Souls IP:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65162306#post65162306
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67475551#post67475551

2.  At E3, From Software staff strongly hinted at a next generation Demon's Souls sequel while demonstrating Dark Souls 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMZyj7B734&feature=youtu.be&t=8m22s

3. The director of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Hidetaka Miyazaki, is coincidentally not directing Dark Souls 2, which would leave him free to work on a certain rumored next generation version of the series:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dark_souls_ii/b/ps3/archive/2013/06/24/dark-souls-ii-39-s-new-director-talks-accessibility-and-has-never-broken-a-controller-in-frustration.aspx

4.  I can't find a source to corroborate this, but I remember reading that SCEA took over control of Demon's Souls' servers from Atlus in North America alongside the game being made available free to PS+ members, and SCEA/SCEE finally accepting the franchise as one of their own would make sense if they're intending to push a sequel.

What do those 3 points (or 4 points, if my memory is correct about the last one) imply when taken together?  :P  

Now, if this is happening (and all signs, including this most recent listing, point to that being the case), I'm sure one might be curious as to why this is happening. There a number of factors probably contributing to this decision.  From Software is probably unable to bankroll a next generation title on their own (note: Namco merely published Dark Souls outside of Japan, while the game was developed entirely by From Software and self-published in Japan).   SCE is probably interested in helping a reliable third party establish themselves on their new hardaware, much like what we've seen with Microsoft and games like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3.   Further, SCEJ has formed a strong relationship with From Software over the last three geneartions.  Lastly, the producer of Demon's Souls from SCE's Japan Studio being a big fan of King's Field.  These probably all played a part in helping such a deal come together.

And one last point, this is what Yoshida said in an interview when asked about Demon's Souls two weeks ago:

"We have been great partners with From Software from the very beginning of PlayStation," Yoshida said. "I was actually the account manager of them when we launched PS one in Japan. I worked directly with [Naotoshi Zin], president of From, when they were entering into video game development. We have a long history of working as platform holder, developer and publisher in the case of Demon's Souls. We love them."

I asked Yoshida if Demon's Souls is a franchise that could join series like Killzone, Gran Turismo and Uncharted as a multi-PlayStation platform — and if Sony would consider developing a sequel without From Software as the primary developer.

"That's a great question, but because of the attention that will get, I choose not to answer," Yoshida said. "But personally, I love Demon's Souls. I spent hours and hours and hours [playing it]."

"I love the team, I love the game and yeah, I'd really like to see more. But that's all that I will say."

Wow, that's solid research you made.

It doesn't sound impossible that it might happen, but it doesn't make much sense. The two games are so similar, how would they diffeerentiate the two and not dilute the mind-space? And From already being a small studio, it seems risky to split the team in two. Especially when they're talking about growing the franchise, to make it big like Elder Scrolls.

Also the timing seems a bit off. Dark Souls 2 is still 8 months away, so when would Demon Souls 2 be released? In fall 2015?

Around the Network

I think it's pretty safe to think that Sony will be pushing Demon's Souls 2 for Ps4.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.