By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Whats a good internet speed?

Is this a good package to get or should i buy something better?

This is good enough 12 13.79%

You need something better 75 86.21%

Total:87
Barozi said:
Baalzamon said:
Yea, is internet slowed quite a bit on wifi versus wired? I don't have a wire to test mine, I was just curious if I would see even higher results if I was wireed.

You should certainly see a boost.
Also some wifi connections are capped at 65Mbit/s.

Wireless itself will reduce in throughput on allot of factors.
Be it attenuation due to distance, objects or walls between the router and device and even line-of-sight.
Heck, the throughput will reduce with the sheer amount of wireless devices you connect to it.

Plus, things like Microwaves, Cordless Phones, other wireless points and even Radio's can cause interference on the frequency reducing the throughput.

However, most peoples Wireless points are far faster than their internet connections, so it's a non-issue unless you are the kind of person who transfer files over the wireless network between devices.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Barozi said:
KHlover said:
o.O compared to your speeds a first world problem, but still:

Not satisfied at all. 1.5MB/s down and 100KB/s up is pretty crappy, especially when

basically the whole town around you can get 6.25MB/s down and 1.25MB/s up :/

Also, our providers sucks with youtube...

You live close to a cemetery ?

He's got a cemetery on the one side and Sanitätshaus Stähle & Co. on the other.

OT:

I haven't upgraded my internet connection (Alice/HanseNet, bought by O2/Telefonica) in the past 11 years due to laziness, but I plan to switch to a different provider and a connection of at least 30 Mb/s. This week I learned two things which changed my mind about my future provider though: Vodafone will buy the provider I wanted to switch to (Kabel Deutschland), Vodafone supports GCHQ's internet surveillance program Tempora. Result: I will switch to another provider, probably Telekom.

100 mbps

Pemalite said:
I'm on: 8Mbps down, 2.5Mbps up. (Annex M, ADSL 2+.)

I can switch it to 15Mbps down, 1Mbps Up, anytime I need faster downloads.

Or, if I am gaming with the Americans, throw it into Low-latency mode where it removes interlacing on the line where I achieve 5Mbps down, 1Mbps up, shaving off 30-50ms can make a big difference with overseas players and servers. :)

All in all I pay $140 a month with 1.2 Terabytes of data.

Still can't want for 100Mbps fiber to be rolled out in the next year or so where I am and finally be able to ditch the crap copper.

Is that like an ISP thing? Or can I, for example, do that too?

Feting said:

This is what I get. what is that crap limit download you talk about? what happens when you reach that limit?

Your speed gets downgraded, like 8mb --> 1 mb.

Or, some people prefer to pay for the extra bandwidth, like $2 per extra GB.

Around the Network

love living in sweden <3

i have 1GB UL/DL speed, but no servers hosting speedtest goes up to those speeds :(
steam is the only thing that 'keeps up' with the pace

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Bajablo said:

love living in sweden <3

i have 1GB UL/DL speed, but no servers hosting speedtest goes up to those speeds :(

Wow, you win, lol. Dat ping. O.O How much do you pay?

miz1q2w3e said:
Pemalite said:
I'm on: 8Mbps down, 2.5Mbps up. (Annex M, ADSL 2+.)

I can switch it to 15Mbps down, 1Mbps Up, anytime I need faster downloads.

Or, if I am gaming with the Americans, throw it into Low-latency mode where it removes interlacing on the line where I achieve 5Mbps down, 1Mbps up, shaving off 30-50ms can make a big difference with overseas players and servers. :)

All in all I pay $140 a month with 1.2 Terabytes of data.

Still can't want for 100Mbps fiber to be rolled out in the next year or so where I am and finally be able to ditch the crap copper.

Is that like an ISP thing? Or can I, for example, do that too?

Technically, anyone can do it.
My ISP does provide me with tools to do it though.

Try playing with your DSL modulation and see which one drops the latency the most or at all. - Some providers might leave interlacing on the line regardless of speed, some it will only kick in at higher speeds.
Alternatively you could just ring your provider and ask them about it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Technically, anyone can do it.
My ISP does provide me with tools to do it though.

Try playing with your DSL modulation and see which one drops the latency the most or at all. - Some providers might leave interlacing on the line regardless of speed, some it will only kick in at higher speeds.
Alternatively you could just ring your provider and ask them about it.

Thanks for answering :) I'll try playing with my router tomorrow. I doubt the people from my ISP can help with anything above basic functionality, I don't think I'll bother asking.

LemonSlice said:
Bajablo said:

love living in sweden <3

Wow, you win, lol. Dat ping. O.O How much do you pay?

included in my rent but it is... 200SEK, roughly 30USD (with todays conversion rate)

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)