By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

Well, that's why I would prefer at least 2 tier system. And honestly, $2000 is peanuts for any serious game, and I'm affraid this will make Steam akin to chaos that Apple and Google stores are.

Personally I think they should charge even more than that to filter out some of the rubbish that gets put on Steam.

But instead of Valve keeping the money, it should be returned once a game reaches certain milestones. There is less risk then for indie developers.

Honestly, I agree completely - I'm OK with them having low entry tier, something that will give garage and very small devs chance to be on Steam, but keep that part of the store separate - similar to Xbox Live Arcade back in days or this new Xbox Live Creators - or at least have search exclude those titles.

But on the other hand have different tier, with much higher entry, that will give devs with higher budgets to stand apart from all the (possible and probable) dreck that will litter Steam with $100 fee.

Returning money is laready in place for $100, once you hit $1k in sales they give you your money back (since they already made $300 on you, so that's $200 net for them), so it owould be easy to implement for higher tier as well.

Captain_Yuri said:
HoloDust said:

Well, that's why I would prefer at least 2 tier system. And honestly, $2000 is peanuts for any serious game, and I'm affraid this will make Steam akin to chaos that Apple and Google stores are.

Well the $100 isn't the only thing that will prevent shovelware... If you have watched TB's video about steam direct for example, valve is gonna have many other things in place to make sure the shovelware games either aren't viewable or they won't be able to make money. So I don't think having a tier system is even nessessary. I think $100 per game is plenty. If money was the only measure against bad games, then maybe I would have said yes but since Valve is saying there will be plenty of other measures, I don't think making it much more than $100 is needed.

And it really isn't peanuts considering how little niche titles sell... I don't want steam store to be filled with games that are mainly big budget or need to sell over like 50k in order to be worth it, I want it to be filled with a wide variety of games as long as they are good. And many of these vns and etc are good and they don't sell a lot. Some even sell as low as 2000 units and don't cost very much. I don't want those types of games to go away cause they have good content in them for those who like vns...

I really stopped trusting Valve a long, a long time ago, in the galaxy far, far away...I'll beleive it when I see it.

But as I said, two tier system would allow for all devs to enter, it's just that those with higher budgets (or with more confidence in their product)  would have a choice of being easily separable from low entry fee tier.

So, if your favourite vns dev is sure it can sell 2000 copies, paying $2000 (or more) really shouldn't be a problem, given that Steam wiull return them money once they reach certain goal. then again if they're not sure in their product they would have $100 (though I think that's already too low) tier.

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

In my view, a two tier approach would work better, but not one like the one you proposed.

What they could do (again, imho) is a low entry fee, like $250-300, for the first game of any developer/publisher. That won't stopp anyone who is serious about what they're doing from bringing their games to Steam, but it will make shovelware publishers to think twice.

At the same time, once you already have a game on Steam, that fee for the next games could be increased to about $2,000, an amount that's perfectly assumeable for serious devs/publishers that have faith in their games but that will be too high for those that only publish crap.

Yeah, that can work too, but I'd prefer (at least) 2 tier system that can always tell apart devs who invested more, even if that's their first game on Steam - there are plenty of devs with mid-higher budget games having their first game released on Steam, and I'd like to have a system in place to browse only through those games.

As somone who plays on mobiles from time to time, finding anything on mobile stores is a nightmare, and I'm affraid this is where the Steam is heading with this $100 for all type of solution.

MS is launching similar program, XBox Live Creators, self-publish for $20-$100 (I'm guessing depending on where you're from), but you will not have all the same benefits and your game will be on separate section. I think similar solution would work better for Steam then what they came up with currently.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

In my view, a two tier approach would work better, but not one like the one you proposed.

What they could do (again, imho) is a low entry fee, like $250-300, for the first game of any developer/publisher. That won't stopp anyone who is serious about what they're doing from bringing their games to Steam, but it will make shovelware publishers to think twice.

At the same time, once you already have a game on Steam, that fee for the next games could be increased to about $2,000, an amount that's perfectly assumeable for serious devs/publishers that have faith in their games but that will be too high for those that only publish crap.

Yeah, that can work too, but I'd prefer (at least) 2 tier system that can always tell apart devs who invested more, even if that's their first game on Steam - there are plenty of devs with mid-higher budget games having their first game released on Steam, and I'd like to have a system in place to browse only through those games.

As somone who plays on mobiles from time to time, finding anything on mobile stores is a nightmare, and I'm affraid this is where the Steam is heading with this $100 for all type of solution.

MS is launching similar program, XBox Live Creators, self-publish for $20-$100 (I'm guessing depending on where you're from), but you will not have all the same benefits and your game will be on separate section. I think similar solution would work better for Steam then what they came up with currently.

Problem is that there are games that while looking good, are made by really small teams or even just one person, like Stardew Valley or Banished. Those games have quality, but I doub they'll makers would be able to pay more to be put in the second/higer class tier, thus ending in the shovelware camp.

I can't comment on the MSoft progam because, without an XboxOne nor Win 10, I know nothing about it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

HoloDust said:

Honestly, I agree completely

We are doing allot of agreeing lately. Haha

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

Problem is that there are games that while looking good, are made by really small teams or even just one person, like Stardew Valley or Banished. Those games have quality, but I doub they'll makers would be able to pay more to be put in the second/higer class tier, thus ending in the shovelware camp.

I can't comment on the MSoft progam because, without an XboxOne nor Win 10, I know nothing about it.

I guess that would fall under risk of doing business - according to Steam Spy, Stardew Valley is owned by 2.5 mil people and Banished by 1.7mil - I guess those devs made shitload of money. So if you have fate in your product and/or good sense of market, you would be able to find money for that higher entry tier, no matter how small of dev you are.

HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

I guess that would fall under risk of doing business - according to Steam Spy, Stardew Valley is owned by 2.5 mil people and Banished by 1.7mil - I guess those devs made shitload of money. So if you have fate in your product and/or good sense of market, you would be able to find money for that higher entry tier, no matter how small of dev you are.

If everything were as simple as having confidence in your product, every game would be a success

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

If everything were as simple as having confidence in your product, every game would be a success

Well, that's why there would be low entry tier as well.

But let's be real - if you're dev launching game, for let's say $10, on Steam, with 125 mil active users, and you're not expecting to sell enough to cover your entry fee of few thousand dollars, then I honestly doubt your game should be on the Steam in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

Jeez, that is one hell of a rant

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Elex has a release date. It's the 17th of October. They actually promised Q3 so I'm a bit bummed but at least it's something.

But here is the latest trailer that does not reflect the actual game at all.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

^^^ I really hope it's good, cause it's still the first PB game I'm not very excited about - I guess that magic meets tech setting is really bothering me. I still intend to pick it up, but really wish they go back to Gothic - even if its only remaster/remake of one of the old ones.

Captain_Yuri said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

Jeez, that is one hell of a rant

He has some pints, tho. Those Kaby Lake chips shouldn't be there on Intel's highest end platform.

Also, about the part when he says that the 12-to-18 chips were a last minute inclusion... well, he has a point, because Intel will only launch the CPUs with up to 10 cores (the 7900X), for now, and as Guru3D reports (article here), none of their board partners have or even have seen the higher core count chips yet. So maybe they won't launch until next year.

Oh, well, at least Intel's new 6 & 8 core processors completely destroy AMD's 6 & 8 ones in both single and multithreaded benchmarks: http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7800x-7900x-i9-7900x-cpu-benchmarks-leaked/