By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

">>If they really wanted to stop so much shovelware, those $100 won't do anything."

Yeah, I was hoping for at least $2000-3000, but I understand why they wouldn't want that - they take 30% from each sale, so why should they - I mean, it's Valve after all, let's not pretend they are nice guys.

Around the Network

Well, the other thing is that there are lots of hentai vns and stuff that people love which don't sell very much. So $2000-$3000 would make it harder for those types of vns to make it on steam.

I think $100 is fine cause it is per game vs greenlight was per account

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Well, the other thing is that there are lots of hentai vns and stuff that people love which don't sell very much. So $2000-$3000 would make it harder for those types of vns to make it on steam.

It would make it harder, that is the point of entry fee. I think $100 is too low and all sort of crap will clutter Steam even more now.

Honestly, I think they should've made 2 tiers - one at $100 and one with much higher entry fee and give users option to browse separately through them.

HoloDust said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It would make it harder, that is the point of entry fee. I think $100 is too low and all sort of crap will clutter Steam even more now.

Honestly, I think they should've made 2 tiers - one at $100 and one with much higher entry fee and give users option to browse separately through them.

Yea but you don't want it to be too hard cause there are many games and vns which are good but don't sell a lot... $2000+ per game is quite a high entry fee for some of these niche but pretty well recieved titles

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
HoloDust said:

Yea but you don't want it to be too hard cause there are many games and vns which are good but don't sell a lot... $2000+ per game is quite a high entry fee for some of these niche but pretty well recieved titles

Well, that's why I would prefer at least 2 tier system. And honestly, $2000 is peanuts for any serious game, and I'm affraid this will make Steam akin to chaos that Apple and Google stores are.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

It worked out cheaper to buy Company of Heroes 2 complete than to buy the discounted DLC seperate. :P
..Then I went to download/install it and it's 40GB. Screw that. >.>

Also saw there was a Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition with new graphics and a ton of changes... Wen't to buy it and found out my years-old copy got upgraded for free. Woot.
Downloading now. (Less than 6GB)

HoloDust said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well, that's why I would prefer at least 2 tier system. And honestly, $2000 is peanuts for any serious game, and I'm affraid this will make Steam akin to chaos that Apple and Google stores are.

Personally I think they should charge even more than that to filter out some of the rubbish that gets put on Steam.

But instead of Valve keeping the money, it should be returned once a game reaches certain milestones. There is less risk then for indie developers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

HoloDust said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well the $100 isn't the only thing that will prevent shovelware... If you have watched TB's video about steam direct for example, valve is gonna have many other things in place to make sure the shovelware games either aren't viewable or they won't be able to make money. So I don't think having a tier system is even nessessary. I think $100 per game is plenty. If money was the only measure against bad games, then maybe I would have said yes but since Valve is saying there will be plenty of other measures, I don't think making it much more than $100 is needed.

And it really isn't peanuts considering how little niche titles sell... I don't want steam store to be filled with games that are mainly big budget or need to sell over like 50k in order to be worth it, I want it to be filled with a wide variety of games as long as they are good. And many of these vns and etc are good and they don't sell a lot. Some even sell as low as 2000 units and don't cost very much. I don't want those types of games to go away cause they have good content in them for those who like vns...

HoloDust said:
Captain_Yuri said:

In my view, a two tier approach would work better, but not one like the one you proposed.

What they could do (again, imho) is a low entry fee, like $250-300, for the first game of any developer/publisher. That won't stopp anyone who is serious about what they're doing from bringing their games to Steam, but it will make shovelware publishers to think twice.

At the same time, once you already have a game on Steam, that fee for the next games could be increased to about $2,000, an amount that's perfectly assumeable for serious devs/publishers that have faith in their games but that will be too high for those that only publish crap.

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

It worked out cheaper to buy Company of Heroes 2 complete than to buy the discounted DLC seperate. :P
..Then I went to download/install it and it's 40GB. Screw that. >.>

Also saw there was a Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition with new graphics and a ton of changes... Wen't to buy it and found out my years-old copy got upgraded for free. Woot.
Downloading now. (Less than 6GB)

That Titan Quest upgrade was made available last year, around September or so. And I remember you commented on it.

You can say a lot of things about Nordic games, now THQNordic, has been amazing giving those upgraded versions for free for pre-existing owners of the games (Titan Quest, Darksiders I & II).

I had some problems with this new Titan Quest, but after looking into it, it seems that they've been working on it since then. I may give it another go.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

That Titan Quest upgrade was made available last year, around September or so. And I remember you commented on it.

You can say a lot of things about Nordic games, now THQNordic, has been amazing giving those upgraded versions for free for pre-existing owners of the games (Titan Quest, Darksiders I & II).

I had some problems with this new Titan Quest, but after looking into it, it seems that they've been working on it since then. I may give it another go.

Did I? I must have completely forgotten about it. Haha.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Did I? I must have completely forgotten about it. Haha.

After a little bit of digging...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8046842

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.