By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

^Really?

The world look interesting, but the gameplay ot I should say the combat, looks a bit dull.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
^Really?

The world look interesting, but the gameplay ot I should say the combat, looks a bit dull.

It's Pranha Bytes. It's never about the gameplay, it's always about losing yourself in a very well crafted world. The shittier the gameplay, the better.

Easily most hyped game of the year for me. Even above Nier and Mario Odyssey.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
JEMC said:
^Really?

It's Pranha Bytes. It's never about the gameplay, it's always about losing yourself in a very well crafted world. The shittier the gameplay, the better.

So we're both on the same page, great world but bad gameplay. The difference is that you've played their games before and know what to expect while I haven't.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

^ PB games are, shall we say, acquired taste when it comes to combat, especially first 2 Gothic games. Personally, I like their combat, but PB games are so much more then that. Then again, I never had problem with games having unusual combat, though I'd love to see someone finally making something close to real thing (Exanima comes to mind as good experiment in that regard, though still far of).

That said, ELEX is their first game I'm not feeling too hyped for...I have no doubt it will be at least solid game, but I find setting quite off-putting for my taste.

^The way you both talk about it, it looks like Piranha Bytes make games that one should try before buying.

On a side note, I just read a Vega rumor that left me surprised, astonished. It looked so good... until it reached a certain point, where I couldn't believe it.

And then I remembered it: April Fools.

If you want to give it a look, it's on WCCFTech: http://wccftech.com/vega-teaser-slides-leak-nda/

Around the Network

Psyonix's idea of 1st April.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm a little disappointed that the next Total War will be another Warhammer game, Would of been better fitting in an historical game before another Warhammer entry as it seems to soon as people will still be buying and playing the first game and then pop out a 2nd Warhammer game in another couple of years.

JEMC said:
^The way you both talk about it, it looks like Piranha Bytes make games that one should try before buying.

Well, most of their best work is really old...I'd say last thing that was really good was Risen 1 and that's from 2009 (though I enjoyed both Risen 2 and 3)...so a lot of things might seem a bit off compared to modern tastes.

Combat in their games is extremely punishing, so it's getting used to, there is zero hand-holding (which I love), world building is expectional and stories and characters are very good.

I still find them (especially Gothic 1/2), unfortunately, to be best open-world action RPGs, even after all these years...and I say unfortunately, because, while I love PB games, there is lot that can be improved in that genre (which is probably the most difficult genre of all for making, if done properly)...but so far, IMO at least, no one managed to pull it off. Sure, there are bits and pieces in various games, but as a whole package, again IMO, genre has peaked with Gothic 1/2 and Morrowind, and neither of those games are anywhere near flawless.

HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

Well, most of their best work is really old...I'd say last thing that was really good was Risen 1 and that's from 2009 (though I enjoyed both Risen 2 and 3)...so a lot of things might seem a bit off compared to modern tastes.

Combat in their games is extremely punishing, so it's getting used to, there is zero hand-holding (which I love), world building is expectional and stories and characters are very good.

I still find them (especially Gothic 1/2), unfortunately, to be best open-world action RPGs, even after all these years...and I say unfortunately, because, while I love PB games, there is lot that can be improved in that genre (which is probably the most difficult genre of all for making, if done properly)...but so far, IMO at least, no one managed to pull it off. Sure, there are bits and pieces in various games, but as a whole package, again IMO, genre has peaked with Gothic 1/2 and Morrowind, and neither of those games are anywhere near flawless.

I understand.

It's also worth mentioning that making those kind of games has gotten more and more expensive, and not every studio has the resources (or a publisher behind them) to make those kind of games anymore, at least not with good/very good graphics.

By the way, Morrowind is now on sale at Steam.

vivster said:
JEMC said:
^Really?

Ahhh. You just reminded me of a game called "Havoc" that I used to play in the mid 90's which I mistakenly thought was made by the company you listed, but it was "Reality Bytes" instead.

The music is still memorable. Hah.

...Now I am actively searching for a copy.
Edit: You know a PC game is obscure when it's not on Steam or GoG or even Ebay.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--