By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

*video*

Welp... There goes my recommendation for getting a Rx 480. PCs having blackouts during demanding sessions on budget mobos...? Yea... The Rx 480 is targeting budget builds and if the budget builds are the ones experiencing the issues, then da faq is the point in getting it? Hopefully the AIB cards don't have this issue.

Hopefully. Custom cards like the Sapphire Nitro and PowerColor Devil are replacing the 6-pin power connector for an 8-pin one, and the Asus Strix will use two power connectors (either two 6-pin, or one 8 & one 6-pin), so the card will be able to get the extra power it needs from the connectors, not the PCI-e lane.

Or, if you don't care about brands and just performance/money, maybe you should wait for the GTX 1060, that looks to be on par with the GTX 980...

http://videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480

AMD is investigating the issue, but it looks like it just happened in a few cases  amongst hundreds evaluation cards sent to reviewers. They most probably are just a few faulty cards, not unusual in the first production batches. My additional hypothesis is some quirk in the power management parts of firmware and drivers that's triggered just in some configurations HW and SW, this must have been considered by AMD too, as they are trying to reproduce those conditions in their internal tests (from what I understood, not only for out of PCI-E specs power consumption, but also for cases in which reviewers just measured consumption within those specs, but excessively higher than AMD declared ones).

[...]
The source of the rumours are Tom’s Hardware which found that the RX480 they had received for review drew 86W through the PCIE slot. That’s 11W above the maximum 75W specification required to meet compliance.
[...]
AMD’s Senior VP and Chief Architect Raja Koduri was a bit puzzled when asked about the rumour. Mostly because PCIE compliance is one of the basic tests before a card goes out. He said that the RX480 passed its testing, but he was taking the reviews seriously.

“However we have received feedback from some of the reviewers on high current observed on PCIE in some cases. We are looking into these scenarios as we speak and reproduce these scenarios internally. Our engineering team is fully engaged.”

It is possible that the review card was faulty or something went wrong with the testing.
[...]
However there do seem to be a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behaviour, and we’ve been in touch with these reviewers for a few days to better understand their test configurations to see how this could be possible, that post says.

“We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it’s worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue.”

So far we have only heard review problems for Tom’s Hardware in fact the card has had reasonable reviews elsewhere so it could be a faulty card.
[...]

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/41023-amd-investigating-pci-power-draw-issues

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Conina said:

And I'm still way below Level 100 ;)

I'm level 16. I'll never, ever, reach level 1,000.

Here you can check your world (and regional) rankings depending on your Steam Level, # of games, # of badges and playtime:

https://www.steamladder.com/profile/76561197971115174

Someone has almost 800.000 hours playtime, that's over 90 years 24/7. ;)

The Lvl1000-guy has "only" 11.600 hours (merely 1.3 years), he seems more interested in collecting games and buying/selling trading cards to boost his level.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
JEMC said:

Hopefully. Custom cards like the Sapphire Nitro and PowerColor Devil are replacing the 6-pin power connector for an 8-pin one, and the Asus Strix will use two power connectors (either two 6-pin, or one 8 & one 6-pin), so the card will be able to get the extra power it needs from the connectors, not the PCI-e lane.

Or, if you don't care about brands and just performance/money, maybe you should wait for the GTX 1060, that looks to be on par with the GTX 980...

http://videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480

AMD is investigating the issue, but it looks like it just happened in a few cases  amongst hundreds evaluation cards sent to reviewers. They most probably are just a few faulty cards, not unusual in the first production batches. My additional hypothesis is some quirk in the power management parts of firmware and drivers that's triggered just in some configurations HW and SW, this must have been considered by AMD too, as they are trying to reproduce those conditions in their internal tests (from what I understood, not only for out of PCI-E specs power consumption, but also for cases in which reviewers just measured consumption within those specs, but excessively higher than AMD declared ones).

[...]
The source of the rumours are Tom’s Hardware which found that the RX480 they had received for review drew 86W through the PCIE slot. That’s 11W above the maximum 75W specification required to meet compliance.
[...]
AMD’s Senior VP and Chief Architect Raja Koduri was a bit puzzled when asked about the rumour. Mostly because PCIE compliance is one of the basic tests before a card goes out. He said that the RX480 passed its testing, but he was taking the reviews seriously.

“However we have received feedback from some of the reviewers on high current observed on PCIE in some cases. We are looking into these scenarios as we speak and reproduce these scenarios internally. Our engineering team is fully engaged.”

It is possible that the review card was faulty or something went wrong with the testing.
[...]
However there do seem to be a few GPUs exhibiting anomalous behaviour, and we’ve been in touch with these reviewers for a few days to better understand their test configurations to see how this could be possible, that post says.

“We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it’s worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue.”

So far we have only heard review problems for Tom’s Hardware in fact the card has had reasonable reviews elsewhere so it could be a faulty card.
[...]

Tom's Hardware already found problems with the PCI-E power draw last year with the GTX 960.

In any case, AMD has already said that they are working on a driver fix: http://videocardz.com/61783/amd-testing-driver-fix-for-rx-480-pci-express-overcurrent-issue and http://www.anandtech.com/show/10465/amd-releases-statement-on-radeon-rx-480-power-consumption

Conina said:
JEMC said:

I'm level 16. I'll never, ever, reach level 1,000.

Here you can check your world (and regional) rankings depending on your Steam Level, # of games, # of badges and playtime:

https://www.steamladder.com/profile/76561197971115174

Someone has almost 800.000 hours playtime, that's over 90 years 24/7. ;)

The Lvl1000-guy has "only" 11.600 hours (merely 1.3 years), he seems more interested in collecting games and buying/selling trading cards to boost his level.

800K hours of playtime... I wonder how he managed that .

Funnily enough, I didn't found my account, jonxiquet, but there's one guy that uses the JEMC username I have here .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

QUAKECore89 said:

Sigh, fine, i'll get this cute card...

http://videocardz.com/61743/gigabyte-announces-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-itx-oc

Still  hate Nvidia though.

Don't take hurried decisions, AMD usually makes significant improvements refining firmware and drivers, and this time they could be quicker than usual, at least for the most urgent issues.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
JEMC said:

[...]
[...]

[...]

[...]

Pemalite said:

AMD has released a statement about it's Polaris cards using more power than they are meant to.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10465/amd-releases-statement-on-radeon-rx-480-power-consumption

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

In other words, they will fix it with a driver update. There will likely be BIOS updates as well for some cards.

It looks like my guesses weren't too far from reality. Nice to know it isn't a HW design flaw, that would be the worst thing, but just a power management SW problem that can be fixed with driver and firmware updates. Nice to know too that they've been very quick to find the problem and they'll fix it very soon, if all goes well and crossing fingers.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JEMC said:

[...]

Tom's Hardware already found problems with the PCI-E power draw last year with the GTX 960.

In any case, AMD has already said that they are working on a driver fix: http://videocardz.com/61783/amd-testing-driver-fix-for-rx-480-pci-express-overcurrent-issue and http://www.anandtech.com/show/10465/amd-releases-statement-on-radeon-rx-480-power-consumption

Ooops, I had my previous post ready in the editor before going out shopping and when I got back home I sent it before reading your newer post.

About your other infos, well, it looks like both AMD and NVidia sometimes walk on a razor's edge about those specs, doesn't it?   

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
JEMC said:

[...]

Ooops, I had my previous post ready in the editor before going out shopping and when I got back home I sent it before reading your newer post.

About your other infos, well, it looks like both AMD and NVidia sometimes walk on a razor's edge about those specs, doesn't it?   

Either that, or the equipment from Tom's Hardware is too sensitive.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Steam stats for June are out.

• Windows 10 share (64 bit + 32 bit) has grown another 3.4% to 44.46%.
  • Windows 7 share (64 bit + 32 bit) has fallen another 2% to 36.97%.
  • OSX share has stayed the same (3.6% of all surveyed Steam accounts)
  • most MacOS users upgraded from 10.11.4 to 10.11.5
  • Linux share fell from 0.84% to 0.80%, so relative 5%... but keep in mind that the Steam machines aren't included in the survey!

Now the GPU stats.

What can I say? Valve fucked them up again!

A lot of DX12-, DX11-, DX10- and DX9-compatible cards are again wrongly tagged as "DX8 cards and below", so the percentages for the DX12-, DX11-... sections are also wrong due to wrong totals. GTX 970 + 960 are still performing well, but that is only a trend (which will probably stop soon due RX 470, RX 480, GTX 1050, 1060 and 1070).

If Steam had updated the "all video cards" section the wrongly tagged GPUs wouldn't be a big problem, but for June Valve doesn't tell us much there either... "others" = 100%.

See you next month.

Loll dx8 and below. Time to make games for windows 95 again gentz!

Also someone keeps on quoting me but idk who so yall better stop that

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I hope Steam's problems with the GPU database has to do with them updating the charts to add the 10 series from Nvidia and the 400 one from AMD.

Man, reading article & comments section both are popcorn worthy.