By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Apparently they are getting rid of the 2K client for some games, but games going forward are going to require a 2k login within the games themselves?.

I dunno about you but that still feels like a cop out and worse to me, because that still complies with their wishes to enforce a layer of DRM as well as still being able to collect data from us. All they're doing is disposing of an annoying external app launcher, in exchange for internal login requirements (which we still shouldn't need when we have Steam).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
JEMC said:

The 2K launcher has always been odd to me. Like they don't have their own store like Ubi or EA, so what's the point of it? It always seemed a move to get more info of their customers, and nothing more.
I won't miss it.

Definitely, and the same goes for Paradox as well. I mean Paradox has its own store but no app. I guess one of the main appeals must be the ability to advertise whatever product of theirs they want to advertise in the launcher. Another might be gathering information, just like you said. I absolutely loathe launchers though, because they never provide me any value whatsoever. No, I don't want a quick launcher to be able to directly continue where I left off, and no, I don't want a mandatory launcher to manage mods when I don't use mods. A launcher for mods might be acceptable though, but ideally it shouldn't be mandatory either.

Paradox games are more often than not played with several mods, many of which are total conversions or addons to those total conversions. The launcher allows you to create several sets of mods to launch together and to switch easily between those sets.

I for one have 5 sets in my HOI4 launcher: TNO, Kaiserreich, Red Flood, Equestria at War and Vanilla, and apart of Red Flood all have submods to further change the game. Switching between the sets would be a giant hassle without the abilities of the launcher.

And of course, if I don't need to change sets, I simply choose to skip the launcher entirely, which is always an option.

Chazore said:

Apparently they are getting rid of the 2K client for some games, but games going forward are going to require a 2k login within the games themselves?.

I dunno about you but that still feels like a cop out and worse to me, because that still complies with their wishes to enforce a layer of DRM as well as still being able to collect data from us. All they're doing is disposing of an annoying external app launcher, in exchange for internal login requirements (which we still shouldn't need when we have Steam).

At least for Civ VII, it's just for online stuff. Pure offline stuff doesn't need an account. I agree that it's still bad, but it can be tolerable, depending on how you play. For me, Civ is a single-player game, so the account requirement for online stuff just doesn't matter.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Zkuq said:

Definitely, and the same goes for Paradox as well. I mean Paradox has its own store but no app. I guess one of the main appeals must be the ability to advertise whatever product of theirs they want to advertise in the launcher. Another might be gathering information, just like you said. I absolutely loathe launchers though, because they never provide me any value whatsoever. No, I don't want a quick launcher to be able to directly continue where I left off, and no, I don't want a mandatory launcher to manage mods when I don't use mods. A launcher for mods might be acceptable though, but ideally it shouldn't be mandatory either.

Paradox games are more often than not played with several mods, many of which are total conversions or addons to those total conversions. The launcher allows you to create several sets of mods to launch together and to switch easily between those sets.

I for one have 5 sets in my HOI4 launcher: TNO, Kaiserreich, Red Flood, Equestria at War and Vanilla, and apart of Red Flood all have submods to further change the game. Switching between the sets would be a giant hassle without the abilities of the launcher.

And of course, if I don't need to change sets, I simply choose to skip the launcher entirely, which is always an option.

Might make sense for some games but not all. I play Cities: Skylines, and neither of the games uses the launcher for anything, not even mods. It's just a pure nonsense thing, aside from the resume function which loads the latest save, but a launcher is just not worth it for that. I might be more willing to agree with you if it was just the games that kind of need it for mods, but it's utter nonsense for the rest.

Zkuq said:

At least for Civ VII, it's just for online stuff. Pure offline stuff doesn't need an account. I agree that it's still bad, but it can be tolerable, depending on how you play. For me, Civ is a single-player game, so the account requirement for online stuff just doesn't matter.

My sole issue with that perquisite of theirs, is that it acts as an open door for 2k to eventually make it policy further down the road. I know 2k is owned by T2, so I've little trust that they won't do it eventually (especially since T2 has R* enforcing their social club account system and launcher client on Steam/EGS).

Last edited by Chazore - on 18 August 2024

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Sins of a Solar empire 2. Oh boy.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

FF7 remake runs great on PC. I heard about stuttering but I'm 18 hours in and 4k 120 fps locked with ease. Still a good game. Just need rebirth and 16 dates.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chazore said:
Zkuq said:

My sole issue with that perquisite of theirs, is that it acts as an open door for 2k to eventually make it policy further down the road. I know 2k is owned by T2, so I've little trust that they won't do it eventually (especially since T2 has R* enforcing their social club account system and launcher client on Steam/EGS).

The store page for Civ VII originally just said it requires a 2K account, period. I doubt they'd reverse the change at least for Civ VII, which is good enough for me - as long as I don't get screwed after buying, I can make informed purchasing decisions. I could be wrong though, but adding account requirements is not something that usually gets done.

My computer still occasionally acts goofy with no video out. What happens if I remove the CMOS battery? My understanding is it resets the BIOS. Would I have to reinstall anything like windows, software or games? I'm giving it a thought. I would like to return my MB to factory default.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

removing the battery wouldn't require you to reinstall windows or software/drivers, so you're okay on that end, though I don't think it will solve your video output issue.

Have you tried checking your cable and it's quality?. I had one bad DP cable years ago that claimed to be "gold standard", but that's what I get for buying from a friend's thrift shop in the first place.

Chazore said:

removing the battery wouldn't require you to reinstall windows or software/drivers, so you're okay on that end, though I don't think it will solve your video output issue.

Have you tried checking your cable and it's quality?. I had one bad DP cable years ago that claimed to be "gold standard", but that's what I get for buying from a friend's thrift shop in the first place.

Yeah I have tried two cables and two different monitors.  What is odd and when it works it works, once I get output the system is flawless.  I did update the Bios recently and the problems started right after, which is why I was thinking it had something to do with that.  But I could be wrong.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED