By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Hopefully this doesn't become it's own trend after all the drama with Starfield. Not that I'll ever buy another ubisoft game until they get rid of Uplay.

Studios/publishers working with Nvidia or ATI/AMD has been a common practice since... well, kind of like forever. Nvidia used to run the TWIMTBP program for years while AMD tried to counter that with their Get In The Game alternative.

This, the Starfield thing or the close partnership between Nvidia and CDP with Cyberpunk 2077 (and also during the launch of The Witcher 3 with their Hairworks tech) are nothing new, and people only tend to complain about it when they're on the other end of the bargain.

The only difference is that now Intel has joined the game, and Ubisoft is more than happy to be bought in order to get more cash.

Yea but upscaling is becoming such an important feature to gaming that it should really be one of those things that should be included from all 3 vendors. Like back in those days where you had say Hairworks from Nvidia in some games or PhysX from Nvidia in others... Those kinds of features are like, it's nice to have but you can turn it off and still play the game. Ray Tracing in current generation is similar in that fashion. In a game like Cyberpunk or Alan Wake 2, yea if you have an Nvidia GPU, turning it on will look visually impressive but if you have a Radeon GPU, if you turn it off, you can still play the game.

But upscaling on the other hand is becoming a critical part of "just being able to play the game" unless you are willing to turn down the settings drastically. Many games built around new engines like UE5 are running at 720p render resolution on a PS5/Series X and the mighty 4090 is becoming a 1440p GPU if you want to play Naively. So until someone comes out with an upscaler that is not only widely adopted but also looks as good as DLSS and runs well on all modern GPUs, companies really should be including all 3.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
JEMC said:

Studios/publishers working with Nvidia or ATI/AMD has been a common practice since... well, kind of like forever. Nvidia used to run the TWIMTBP program for years while AMD tried to counter that with their Get In The Game alternative.

This, the Starfield thing or the close partnership between Nvidia and CDP with Cyberpunk 2077 (and also during the launch of The Witcher 3 with their Hairworks tech) are nothing new, and people only tend to complain about it when they're on the other end of the bargain.

The only difference is that now Intel has joined the game, and Ubisoft is more than happy to be bought in order to get more cash.

Yea but upscaling is becoming such an important feature to gaming that it should really be one of those things that should be included from all 3 vendors. Like back in those days where you had say Hairworks from Nvidia in some games or PhysX from Nvidia in others... Those kinds of features are like, it's nice to have but you can turn it off and still play the game. Ray Tracing in current generation is similar in that fashion. In a game like Cyberpunk or Alan Wake 2, yea if you have an Nvidia GPU, turning it on will look visually impressive but if you have a Radeon GPU, if you turn it off, you can still play the game.

But upscaling on the other hand is becoming a critical part of "just being able to play the game" unless you are willing to turn down the settings drastically. Many games built around new engines like UE5 are running at 720p render resolution on a PS5/Series X and the mighty 4090 is becoming a 1440p GPU if you want to play Naively. So until someone comes out with an upscaler that is not only widely adopted but also looks as good as DLSS and runs well on all modern GPUs, companies really should be including all 3.

*2nd attempt after the site did a number on me*

And that's exactly the problem here, upscaling should be another extra, not a necessary feature. That's the reason Nvidia came up with it.

Instead of fighting over why game X uses one upscaling tech or the other, we should demand to know why they have become such a necessity in such a small amount of time and why the industry is designing engines around upscaling techs.

It's unacceptable and the only ones who benefit from that shift are lazy studios that now have an excuse to not optimize their games while we, that have to run them in our rigs, are given the middle finger.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Looks like Cyperpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty is doing well in reviews - 90 so far in OpenCritic

Intel confirms 2024-2025 client CPU lineup: Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-confirms-2024-2025-client-cpu-lineup-arrow-lake-lunar-lake-and-panther-lake

Intel Core Ultra “Meteor Lake” CPUs officially launch on December 14th

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-ultra-meteor-lake-cpus-officially-launch-on-december-14th

Obvious paper launch not to miss 2023 is obvious.

Watch these Meteor Lake Laptops being as impossible to find as the 10nm ones back in 2017-2018...

JEMC said:

And that's exactly the problem here, upscaling should be another extra, not a necessary feature. That's the reason Nvidia came up with it.

Instead of fighting over why game X uses one upscaling tech or the other, we should demand to know why they have become such a necessity in such a small amount of time and why the industry is designing engines around upscaling techs.

It's unacceptable and the only ones who benefit from that shift are lazy studios that now have an excuse to not optimize their games while we, that have to run them in our rigs, are given the middle finger.

While I agree with what you are saying, we all know developers won't take the time to properly optimize their games. Most of them will like just test it on few high end systems and call it a day. I myself always prefer native over upscaling even if I like DLSS but with gen on gen improvements slowing down and gpu prices going up, the situation will be that if you want to keep your gpu for a long time, you basically need upscaling.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
hinch said:

Looks like Cyperpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty is doing well in reviews - 90 so far in OpenCritic

Yea I looked at the reviews and hit that pre-order button. Shame this will be the last content DLC for Cyberpunk. The game had quite the redemption arc where it launched at a pretty bad state in every platform to one of the must play games. It's unfortunate that they are getting rid of the Red engine in favor of Unreal Engine 5 cause everything I have seen from UE5 thus far just makes me want to cringe.

JEMC said:

Microsoft would buy Valve 'if opportunity arises,' said Phil Spencer in leaked email
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-would-buy-valve-if-opportunity-arises-said-phil-spencer-in-leaked-email/
The FTC and Microsoft are presently in court over the FTC's desire to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard, and as seems to happen every time a big gaming company goes to court, there's been an accidental leak of confidential documents.
One of the documents is a 2020 email from Xbox chief Phil Spencer (via The Verge) in which he said that Nintendo is the most desirable gaming company Microsoft could acquire. Tucked into the end of that email is the comment that the Microsoft Board of Directors has seen "the full writeup on Nintendo (and Valve)" and is "fully supportive on either if opportunity arises."
>> And who wouldn't, right?

That would range from mildly concerning to an absolute nightmare, depending on what Microsoft would do. I find it very valuable that PC gaming is not in the hands of the main platform holder, and in fact supports other platforms quite well.

Welp it looks like all 3 are supported

JEMC said:

While I agree with what you are saying, we all know developers won't take the time to properly optimize their games. Most of them will like just test it on few high end systems and call it a day. I myself always prefer native over upscaling even if I like DLSS but with gen on gen improvements slowing down and gpu prices going up, the situation will be that if you want to keep your gpu for a long time, you basically need upscaling.

I've been curious when it comes to upscaling tech these days. It seems like the absolute beefiest of rigs running a 4090 and top end CPU can barely run modern games at even 60fps at max graphical settings. Is this optimization related or are modern AAA games just that demanding that AI upscaling is essentially a requirement now?

Zkuq said:
JEMC said:

Microsoft would buy Valve 'if opportunity arises,' said Phil Spencer in leaked email
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-would-buy-valve-if-opportunity-arises-said-phil-spencer-in-leaked-email/
The FTC and Microsoft are presently in court over the FTC's desire to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard, and as seems to happen every time a big gaming company goes to court, there's been an accidental leak of confidential documents.
One of the documents is a 2020 email from Xbox chief Phil Spencer (via The Verge) in which he said that Nintendo is the most desirable gaming company Microsoft could acquire. Tucked into the end of that email is the comment that the Microsoft Board of Directors has seen "the full writeup on Nintendo (and Valve)" and is "fully supportive on either if opportunity arises."
>> And who wouldn't, right?

That would range from mildly concerning to an absolute nightmare, depending on what Microsoft would do. I find it very valuable that PC gaming is not in the hands of the main platform holder, and in fact supports other platforms quite well.

I highly doubt this would ever get regulatory approval. Unlike ABK, this would essentially give Microsoft a monopoly in PC gaming. That would easily 90% of the entire market, if not more.