By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

As impressed as I've been with UE5, we really need another engine to step up, ideally something open source. Their only big competition shitting the bed won't be good for anyone but Epic shareholders.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

As impressed as I've been with UE5, we really need another engine to step up, ideally something open source. Their only big competition shitting the bed won't be good for anyone but Epic shareholders.

I don't think anyone can enter the current market and just throw down with Epic at this point, not unless you've got Tecent/MS money and the tech on hand at the ready to apply and release.

Epic have already been buying out tech, bought out all of Art station and bandcamp, two venues that will provide them with years worth of talent to siphon from, then of course you've got Epic with it's "grants", and of course, their engine seeing more use within the film industry.

Then we've got this open source engine being fucked around with like some stock market token, by an ex EA CEO...

I want to be hopeful, but like, in this day and age you have to come really prepared to tango in the lions den. We saw what happened when Epic tried to tango with Steam, when they decided to not spend money on the expected R&D for their storefront (they instead just threw money via bribery and traffic disruption, as well as Twitter rants).

You have to come into the market with an engine that can do good stuff from the get-go, instead of "we're new, so please wait 5-10 years while we catch up with UE5, but don't expect us to catch up to EU8 by the time we get to EU5's level", because you'll only be constantly outpaced by the bigger fish as time goes on.

I just wish that ex EA CEO would sod off and stop ruining anything he touches. The guy is a literal curse upon the games industry. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Sounds like Nvidia is run in a pretty... interesting manner:

Original source (if you want to spend 20 minutes instead of 2):

Most tech companies claim to be flat organizations, though. I think just a few really are that way (like Valve, where the results are, well, debatable).

40 direct reports to the CEO is quite centralized TBH.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

New PL requirements be like:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

'scuse me, wot, with the NVME suddenly creping in past Ultra...

Also are current gen even equipped with NVME's, let alone fully capable of doing the whole RT kit that 2077 is doing?, because these increased req's just come off as a tad funny to me, like we're not even halfway through this gen and I'm seeing the same game up it's reqs a notch higher.

Hope this doesn't become some new norm where a game comes out, fumbles then ups it's reqs more and more as the gen goes on.

It's not like I'll be playing PL, since I uninstalled the game months ago, after being fed up with my performance woes. Maybe I'll play it in a decade when I finally get to sell my other kidney for a new Nvidia card and maybe a good GPU, NVME, the whole kit I guess.

Last edited by Chazore - on 12 September 2023

It is technically do-able but you need Frame Generation.

With DLSS Ray Reconstruction though, the RT will look even better than just turning on Frame Generation and using the built-in denoiser.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:
JEMC said:

The moment John Riccitiello became the CEO of Unity, it became clear that money would be the only goal, and the destiny of Unity was sealed. A shame.

Call me tin foil hat, but I swear that guy is the go-to man for sinking companies for competitors on the inside. No matter where he goes he sinks a ship, gets to leave unscathed and manages to land another job easily, only to sink that next ship.

Him ruining Unity as much as he can benefits UE's already popular rise to power all the more. 

That's why I call him the Corporate Demolition Man. Or sometimes Johnny Rico. Both Johns fit him well.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

That's why I call him the Corporate Demolition Man. Or sometimes Johnny Rico. Both Johns fit him well.

Was totally expecting this kind of Rico, but those 2 are better descriptors lol.

Guy is a living film cliché.