By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

haxxiy said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well if you look at the relative performance when the 5600XT launched, you can see that during that time, both Vega 64 and 5600XT were actually ahead of the 2060. Vega in general had a lot of driver issues with it's driver which made it under perform not to mention AMD was pretty horrid with DX11 titles. As we moved onto more and more DX12 titles and AMD fixed their drivers, Vega and AMD's arch as a whole benefited hence why you see them increasing their position in relative performance during the 5600XT launch vs their own launches.

But now if you look at the Callisto Benchmark as an example, both the 5600XT and Vega 64 are now behind the 2060:

And also remember that 5700XT was ahead of the 2070 and now that's behind as well:

That's just for one game that favors Nvidia vs. the average. If this was MW2 we'd be arguing the opposite.

I was just pointing out that Pascal is more likely being kneecapped by drivers instead of arch since the same isn't happening for older AMD archs, adjusting for the fact that AMD is worse in TCP across the board. If anything, GCN looks slightly better than the average vs. RDNA in TCP.

OT -

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-raptor-lake-s-refresh-confirmed-for-q3-2023-sapphire-rapids-hedt-specs-leaked

Just like 10 nm six years ago, it's looking like the new "Intel 4" CPUs are a distant dream at this point... maybe the US government should just nationalize Intel's foundries at this point, since it's clear that their R&D isn't cutting the biscuit.

My guess is we might see Intel 4 "Meteor lake" mobile processes next year and then maybe a very limited desktop release in early 2024 (think Broadwell level).  For what ever reason I don't think the Intel 4 process scales well on bigger dies which why we saw earlier of  rumors that Meteor Lake being limited to less cores then current raptor lake (which maybe why they decided to do a raptor lake refresh instead).

I don't think we know till late 2024 if this going to be a 10nm situation or not.  If we get 20A Arrow lake CPU by end of 2024 on desktop then Intel might be fine going forward if not then there reason to start worrying about a repeat of 14nm. 

Around the Network

Looks crazy if you compare it like that. Especially considering the 4080 is rated for less wattage than a 7900XTX. We will see the cooling performance when they release though.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Just need a 4k 32 inch version and I'll be set for the next 4-5 years

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

AMD coolers have never been the best, but since the RDNA cards launched, they've improved their cooling solutions. Last gen the reference cooler did a good job with the 300W of the 6900XT, and this new cooler, with the fins being less obstructed by side panels, seems to be improving on that. Meanwhile, every review of the 4090/80 card has said that the new cooler is as good as a third party one and, talking about the 4080, actually a bit overkill.

So well, they'll run hotter or a bit more louder than the Nvidia FE cards, but I'd say that they'll be "fine".

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Don't forget to watch the game awards here at 4:30 PM PT if you want a chance to win a 512GB Steam Deck

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thegameawardssteamdeckdrop2022

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

In that Callisto benchmark, Vega and the RX 580 are positioned relative to Turing exactly as their averages were four years ago, if not slightly better. It's the 1080 Ti that's missing some performance, but not much.

I'd argue that's slightly subpar driver support for Pascal instead of a lack of features hampering it.

Considering that the last few drivers from nvidia have fucked over games I play, like Supreme Commander, Warcraft and Cyberpunk, yeah, it feels like they are hampering me rather than the lacking features.

Though tbh, I think that's what they want, because it is far easier today to turn around and go "oh your 1080ti is just super ancient weak tech, upgrade to our 3000/3000 series".

Planned obsolescence and fucking over prev products via updates isn't a new concept, but I def know Nvidia wouldn't shy away from trying to enforce ppl to upgrade via various means, like shoddy driver updates on older models, in order to make the newer ones more appealing. 

I do know that blizz needs to sort out current WoW perf, but Nvidia released a "game rdy driver" specifically for the DF launch, and well, that did sweet fuck all in terms of the benchmarks I saw (also WoW RTX is a complete and utter joke, since it only works on shadows, and not every shadow in WoW is real time RT'd)

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:

Don't forget to watch the game awards here at 4:30 PM PT if you want a chance to win a 512GB Steam Deck

Ngl but I'm super pissed that Valve will let me use Steam points I buy from Game here on the isle of Man, yet Valve at the same fucking time, will not acknowledge that my island exists, despite the commonly known fact that it is in fact a part of the UK/Ireland, and yet I cannot enter the draw to win a Deck, because they don't think I exist.... like fucking wow, I can pay you guys money, but I can't win free shit?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:

Isn't it supposed to start at 5 pm though? At least https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/5DD7-287C-7548-299D says so:

The Giveaway will be held during the Steam broadcast of The Game Awards 2022 main event, which is currently scheduled to being at 5:00 pm pacific time on Thursday, December 8, 2022 and run for approximately two and a half hours (the “Giveaway Period).

Also, that's a really long duration for a stream that starts at 3 am in my local time... I might have to leave my PC on and watch only the beginning of the stream, unless I need to click on something if I somehow end up winning.

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Ngl but I'm super pissed that Valve will let me use Steam points I buy from Game here on the isle of Man, yet Valve at the same fucking time, will not acknowledge that my island exists, despite the commonly known fact that it is in fact a part of the UK/Ireland, and yet I cannot enter the draw to win a Deck, because they don't think I exist.... like fucking wow, I can pay you guys money, but I can't win free shit?. 

Well that sucks and sure is dumb. But you live on the Isle of Man? That's surprising, considering the relatively low population.

Zkuq said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Isn't it supposed to start at 5 pm though? At least https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/5DD7-287C-7548-299D says so:

The Giveaway will be held during the Steam broadcast of The Game Awards 2022 main event, which is currently scheduled to being at 5:00 pm pacific time on Thursday, December 8, 2022 and run for approximately two and a half hours (the “Giveaway Period).

Also, that's a really long duration for a stream that starts at 3 am in my local time... I might have to leave my PC on and watch only the beginning of the stream, unless I need to click on something if I somehow end up winning.

Maybe, the game awards website says 4:30PM

https://thegameawards.com/

But it could be a pre-show or something and the give away itself could be at 5pm

I thought about watching it, for the sole reason of the contest, but by then I'll be sleeping (hopefully).

Good luck to any of you who watches it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.