By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

My own GOG stats:

Last edited by Conina - on 27 April 2021

Around the Network

Every time you make one of these posts, Conina, I'm equally impressed and jealous. And I also hate you a little bit.

Thankfully, those feelings pass after a while... mostly.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I will say that it is a bit interesting that AMD will be going big.LITTLE with zen 5 if the rumor is true. I am assuming it's due to yields as big cores will get more and more expensive as time goes on. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. We saw what happens when companies adopt new technologies earlier than their competitors.

Nvidia invested early in RT and DLSS and now they are leagues ahead in those technologies. AMD invested in Infinity Fabric/Chiplets and now the King in the CPU space. Now Intel is investing early into big.LITTLE and they might have the kinks worked out before AMD gets their foot in the door.

Gotta love a competitive landscape full of innovation.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Conina said:

My own GOG stats:

Now you most play through all of them before being allowed to reconnect to the internet ever again. No exceptions!

Conina said:

My own GOG stats:

Your epeen continues to impress

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

pheh not even 25k games

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Captain_Yuri said:

[Rumour] AMD 3nm Zen5 APUs codenamed “Strix Point” rumored to feature big.LITTLE cores

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-3nm-zen5-apus-codenamed-strix-point-rumored-to-feature-big-little-cores

If true, it sounds like both Intel and AMD will be going big.LITTLE for their future cpus. We will see if AMD will limit it to APUs only or if they will go all out like Intel is doing with their future desktop cpus.

The bigger question is: What would AMD use as LITTLE cores? Bulldozer and Bobcat are both dead, buried and composted, and apart from Zen they don't have anything else on the CPU market right now.

4 possibilities:

1. They develop their own Atom-like chips. Doubtful considering the gains are in no relation to the losses on Atom in terms of power draw and performance.
  2. They cut down Zen with less cache and possibly other subtle changes within the chips. The question is if they would really gain much on the power draw here...
  3. They use some die-shrinked Zen chips of older generations for the LITTLE cores. IMO the most logical way to go right now.
  4. They reactivate Project K2 and use special ARM cores for the LITTLE ones. Doubtful, and unsure if a mix of 2 architectures at the same time would work well - or at all. 
Captain_Yuri said:

ASUS to unveil its Intel Tiger Lake-H laptops on May 11th

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-to-unveil-its-intel-tiger-lake-h-laptops-on-may-11th

I am certainly looking forward to Tiger Lake H before purchasing a new laptop. Should be a beast as it's based on 10nm.

The problem is that Tiger Lake pulls too much power. At 45W TDP they cannot fully utilize all the cores. 28W brings a huge boost in singe-core performance over 15W on TL with just 4 cores, but the same is not the case on Renoir or Cezanne U series chips. So at 45W, if all the cores are in use, then the chip will have to clock down to run that program.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a big boost over what they have, but I seriously doubt that Cezanne is in any danger in fully multithreaded applications - the gap is just too great. Games, on the other hand...

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

[Rumour] AMD 3nm Zen5 APUs codenamed “Strix Pointâ€Â rumored to feature big.LITTLE cores

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-3nm-zen5-apus-codenamed-strix-point-rumored-to-feature-big-little-cores

If true, it sounds like both Intel and AMD will be going big.LITTLE for their future cpus. We will see if AMD will limit it to APUs only or if they will go all out like Intel is doing with their future desktop cpus.

The bigger question is: What would AMD use as LITTLE cores? Bulldozer and Bobcat are both dead, buried and composted, and apart from Zen they don't have anything else on the CPU market right now.

4 possibilities:

1. They develop their own Atom-like chips. Doubtful considering the gains are in no relation to the losses on Atom in terms of power draw and performance.
  2. They cut down Zen with less cache and possibly other subtle changes within the chips. The question is if they would really gain much on the power draw here...
  3. They use some die-shrinked Zen chips of older generations for the LITTLE cores. IMO the most logical way to go right now.
  4. They reactivate Project K2 and use special ARM cores for the LITTLE ones. Doubtful, and unsure if a mix of 2 architectures at the same time would work well - or at all. 
Captain_Yuri said:

ASUS to unveil its Intel Tiger Lake-H laptops on May 11th

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-to-unveil-its-intel-tiger-lake-h-laptops-on-may-11th

I am certainly looking forward to Tiger Lake H before purchasing a new laptop. Should be a beast as it's based on 10nm.

The problem is that Tiger Lake pulls too much power. At 45W TDP they cannot fully utilize all the cores. 28W brings a huge boost in singe-core performance over 15W on TL with just 4 cores, but the same is not the case on Renoir or Cezanne U series chips. So at 45W, if all the cores are in use, then the chip will have to clock down to run that program.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a big boost over what they have, but I seriously doubt that Cezanne is in any danger in fully multithreaded applications - the gap is just too great. Games, on the other hand...

Well it's for Zen 5 and 3nm. If they can get huge leaps in 7nm, I wouldn't doubt that zen 4 and zen 5 will also be huge leaps as well. So those small cores could be quite powerful for today's standards and the big cores could be hugely powerful. Like if you look at say the Apple's M1, those small cores aren't exactly anything to scoff at so I could see AMD going the same route. So probably option 3.

And yea, we will see how Tiger Lake performs but I am mainly buying it for mobile gaming as I'd use my 5950x if I am doing something that requires lots of threads. Of course if Tiger Lake laptops battery life continues to be as bad as 10th gen, then I might choose Ryzen as well.

Captain_Yuri said:

Xbox Velocity Architecture: Faster Game Asset Streaming and Minimal Load Times for Games of Any Size

They show a demo of how it all works and this applies to PC as well if you have a Direct X 12 Ultimate GPU. It can essentially be summed up into this:

Significantly lowering Vram usage. I think this is why Nvidia went for bandwidth instead of capacity as there are quite a lot of technologies coming out that specifically lowers the games Vram usage.

AMD enables FidelityFX technologies for XBOX Series X|S consoles

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-enables-fidelityfx-technologies-for-xbox-series-xs-consoles

This isn't Super Resolution, just their usual Image Sharpening, Variable Shading or ray traced shadow Denoiser.

Der8auer breaks GPU clock speed world record with 3.225 GHz on PowerColor RX 6900 XT Liquid Devil Ultimate

https://videocardz.com/newz/der8auer-breaks-gpu-clock-speed-world-record-with-3-225-ghz-on-powercolor-rx-6900-xt-liquid-devil-ultimate

There were also a number of new announcements at the Apple event yesterday but the one that I found a bit neat was their new iPad Pro

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

It gets their new m1 chip from their macbooks and imacs, it comes with 8 or 16 GB of ram depending on the super expensive storage options. But the most interesting part is the new display on the 12.9 inch model. It has 10,000 mini-LEDs with over 2500 local dimming zones and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. It also has 1000 nits of full‑screen brightness and 1600 nits of peak brightness. And to top it off, it's 2732x2048p 120 hz screen.

Now while I don't care much for apple products and that ipad certainly ain't cheap... But that is one hell of a combo! And to be fair, the $1200 12.9 inch 256GB + 8GB + Mini LED display model ain't half bad pricing. Especially with all the additional stuff like Cameras. Too bad iOS is so damn limiting though...

Lol 

And Apple won't get any money from me other than for an iPhone or Apple Watch until iOS allows sideloading without needing to resort to AltStore/APT or they install Mac OS on the freaking iPad.