By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Why the 250GB ssd?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Why the 250GB ssd?

System SSD. It's always useful to separate system from storage.

As far as I understand both SSDs are gonna get CPU lanes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Why the 250GB ssd?

Yea but since the SSD prices are gonna continue to go down due to the over supply and the Dark Hero has 2 Nvme slots. Wouldn't it be better to buy only the 1TB ssd for now and then get a second 1-2TB one on sale sometime this year? Hell the WD SN850s already went on a slight discount a few times.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
vivster said:

Yea but since the SSD prices are gonna continue to go down due to the over supply and the Dark Hero has 2 Nvme slots. Wouldn't it be better to buy only the 1TB ssd for now and then get a second 1-2TB one on sale sometime this year? Hell the WD SN850s already went on a slight discount a few times.

I won't ever need more than 1TB. And if I'm gonna need more in a few years I'll just replace the 1TB drive. Wouldn't want to deal with 2 different drives for storage anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Other than that, everything else looks pretty good. The ram is kinda nutty

Around the Network
vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I won't ever need more than 1TB. And if I'm gonna need more in a few years I'll just replace the 1TB drive. Wouldn't want to deal with 2 different drives for storage anyway.

The smaller drives tend to be slower than their bigger versions though, the smaller the drive the bigger the slowdown. And the price difference is too low to justify taking the smaller version imo.

I mean, you took 2 980 Pro for your build, 1 250GB and 1 1TB version. Just compare their read/write speeds and their prices in relation to their capacity. Once the SLC cache has reached capacity the drive will be just as fast as an SATA SSD (500MB/s advertised), even more so if the drive is starting to fill up and needing to delete and rewrite more and more chunks of old data.

If you really want a smaller drive for the OS, then at least take the 500GB version, which is much more resistant to slowdowns compared to the 250GB variant (1100 MB/s on the TLC Chips after the SLC cache is at full capacity, and that SLC has basically the same speed as in the 1TB variant) for only 40€ more.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 January 2021

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Why the 250GB ssd?

The manual is surprising vague on this.  In the old days ASUS use to include a diagram that showed where all the pci-e lanes coming from but that not included in manual.  That being said on page 1-13 the 3 bullet points I interpreted as M.2_1 uses cpu PCI-E lanes and the M.2_2 uses the chipset PCIE-E lanes.

Also there only 20 available pcie lanes for ryzen 5000 series  (there 24 total but 4 reserve for commination to chipset) and 16 always dedicated to the PCI-E 16 slots so there really no way both could be from the cpu.

Not that you really going to notice the difference in real life.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
vivster said:

The smaller drives tend to be slower than their bigger versions though, the smaller the drive the bigger the slowdown. And the price difference is too low to justify taking the smaller version imo.

I mean, you took 2 980 Pro for your build, 1 250GB and 1 1TB version. Just compare their read/write speeds and their prices in relation to their capacity. Once the SLC cache has reached capacity the drive will be just as fast as an SATA SSD (500MB/s advertised), even more so if the drive is starting to fill up and needing to delete and rewrite more and more chunks of old data.

If you really want a smaller drive for the OS, then at least take the 500GB version, which is much more resistant to slowdowns compared to the 250GB variant (1100 MB/s on the TLC Chips after the SLC cache is at full capacity, and that SLC has basically the same speed as in the 1TB variant) for only 40€ more.

Doesn't really matter much for a system drive that's exclusively meant to boot the PC and load Steam and nothing else.

Might consider it next time but now it's too late to change anyway.

Chazore said:

"What kind of GPU's can we expect to buy in 2021?"

Is that some kind of trick question?.

None of them of course, because miners and scalpers lol. We're in for another fucked year of GPU shortages.

Part of the issue is AMD has a wafer contract with TSMC... Which gives them a fixed supply of 300mm 7nm wafers... And because of the consoles from Microsoft and Sony, AMD has to honor the contract with the consoles, so they get priority on those limited 300mm 7nm wafers.

I feel like nVidia dodged a bullet there... But then again, Samsungs 8nm process has been dogs balls with it's own issues... I.E. It's actually based on 10nm which is actually feature-size, closer to Intels 14nm process than 10nm in terms of geometries... And the yields on that have been terrible for monolithic chips, Samsung just isn't as proficient as TSMC.

Either way, poor supply is likely to stick around for 2021.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Chazore said:

"What kind of GPU's can we expect to buy in 2021?"

Is that some kind of trick question?.

None of them of course, because miners and scalpers lol. We're in for another fucked year of GPU shortages.

Part of the issue is AMD has a wafer contract with TSMC... Which gives them a fixed supply of 300mm 7nm wafers... And because of the consoles from Microsoft and Sony, AMD has to honor the contract with the consoles, so they get priority on those limited 300mm 7nm wafers.

I feel like nVidia dodged a bullet there... But then again, Samsungs 8nm process has been dogs balls with it's own issues... I.E. It's actually based on 10nm which is actually feature-size, closer to Intels 14nm process than 10nm in terms of geometries... And the yields on that have been terrible for monolithic chips, Samsung just isn't as proficient as TSMC.

Either way, poor supply is likely to stick around for 2021.

As far as I remember, there was a news a couple weeks ago (think in October) that AMD would get a higher amount of Wafers (due to mobile clients moving to 5nm processes, leaving more room for the 7nm of AMD) for 2021. If that holds true, then the supply situation could improve starting March

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 04 January 2021