By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 6: Real enough to confuse my body

Tagged games:

Michael-5 said:

It's not that much harder to race using a wheel, and shifters, but you don't get as good of a time. That's one thing I hate about competetive multiplayer on GT and Forza. Do I use a wheel, get 2nd, but have fun, or use a controller, and get 1st by a mile?

Soon ethomaz, I will come for you.

Wait... do you win with a controller over people with wheel? that's crazy man.

Around the Network

Michael-5 said:

Yea, but are you good at racing sims? I think at the more competetive end of the game, a wheel really holds you back because it's just not as responsive enough. e.g. You can't do a sharp turn, like on Tsukuba, with a steering wheel as fast as you can with a controller, even with sensitivity at 10.

For comparision, I know I'm within the top 10,000/2,500,000 (last I checked) Forza players on the Top Gear Test Track, and I think I could do better.

Forza uses a wireless protocal created by MS way slower than USB wheels... I do sharp turn with wheel that I can't with controllers.

USB/HID is far way better than XID.

Without USB connection there is no USB/HID communication protocol.

Without USB/HID communication protocol there is no direct communication between device (console/PC) and slave (wheel) with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values.

Without direct communication between device and slave with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values you are left in the field of XID-protocol.

And XID protocol - also known as Xinput in variant Microsoft is using it in its SDK environment - is something you don't want to become a standard on your driving simulations.

For more explanation of HID and XID please refer HERE, HERE and HERE.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58246714&postcount=1916

Forza driving is not that good not only because the game physics... there are technical issues with wheel input that break the imersion deu the slow response.

Force Feedback didn't works well with XID.

In HID mode (on PS3) CSRE is great as expected, because HID FFB (please Google this if you are interested in deeper explanation of HID FFB) transfers all details of FFB effects on the wheel without any problem. But the main challenge for the CSRE in my testing was X360 performance, especially in Forza Motosrport 4. Why? Because X360 does not use the same HID FFB "protocols" as PC/PS3 platforms, but instead uses XID FFB which was the most responsible for somewhat weaker performance of the FFB effects in X360 driving games when compared to their PC/PS3 counterparts.

Mmmfishtacos said:
Michael-5 said:

Yea, but are you good at racing sims? I think at the more competetive end of the game, a wheel really holds you back because it's just not as responsive enough. e.g. You can't do a sharp turn, like on Tsukuba, with a steering wheel as fast as you can with a controller, even with sensitivity at 10.

For comparision, I know I'm within the top 10,000/2,500,000 (last I checked) Forza players on the Top Gear Test Track, and I think I could do better.

Last year i was 200 in GT academy, they year before that i was 130 and normally rank in the top 500 in the weekly time trails. I use a wheel. The controller is a huge disadvantage. Every now and again a controller will make it in the top of the ranking but it’s dominated by wheel users.  The pedals are everything in a racing sim. And a controller cant touch it. 

Maybe, to be honest I almost exclusively race with a wheel too, and if I really wanted to make a good time trial, I think I would do better with a wheel too, but it depends on the circuit. Anything with a 180 degree, 1st gear turn, the controller has a huge advantage.

Also controllers....oh wait. PS3 triggers aren't pressure sensitive are they? I've never played GT5 with a controller, I'm judging all my controller experience with Forza Horizon and such on the 360 (It's annoying to use a wheel when you car is bouncing on a golf course).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

So, I assume your body is ready now, isn't it?

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

ethomaz said:

Michael-5 said:

Forza uses a wireless protocal created by MS way slower than USB wheels... I do sharp turn with wheel that I can't with controllers.

USB/HID is far way better than XID.

Without USB connection there is no USB/HID communication protocol.

Without USB/HID communication protocol there is no direct communication between device (console/PC) and slave (wheel) with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values.

Without direct communication between device and slave with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values you are left in the field of XID-protocol.

And XID protocol - also known as Xinput in variant Microsoft is using it in its SDK environment - is something you don't want to become a standard on your driving simulations.

For more explanation of HID and XID please refer HERE, HERE and HERE.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58246714&postcount=1916

Forza driving is not that good not only because the game physics... there are technical issues with wheel input that break the imersion deu the slow response.

Force Feedback didn't works well with XID.

In HID mode (on PS3) CSRE is great as expected, because HID FFB (please Google this if you are interested in deeper explanation of HID FFB) transfers all details of FFB effects on the wheel without any problem. But the main challenge for the CSRE in my testing was X360 performance, especially in Forza Motosrport 4. Why? Because X360 does not use the same HID FFB "protocols" as PC/PS3 platforms, but instead uses XID FFB which was the most responsible for somewhat weaker performance of the FFB effects in X360 driving games when compared to their PC/PS3 counterparts.

Well there you go, that's probably why I'm pretty decent with a controller. I remember the Logitech wheel for PS3, and how GT had sensitivity settings, I was jealous.

Anyway, I will get a PS3 this fall, and I will get GT6, so....I'll see you then *shifty eyes.*

--

Also I wouldn't say Forza is a bad sim at all, I have a racing licence, and driven race cars on the track. Both GT5 and Forza do a lot of things right, and a lot of things wrong. Different things per game. E.G. I think GT5 models car physics well under braking, but poorly under acceleration. It gives front engine RWD cars too much understeer, but under braking, I think it's pretty much spot on.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Michael-5 said:

Last year i was 200 in GT academy, they year before that i was 130 and normally rank in the top 500 in the weekly time trails. I use a wheel. The controller is a huge disadvantage. Every now and again a controller will make it in the top of the ranking but it’s dominated by wheel users.  The pedals are everything in a racing sim. And a controller cant touch it. 

Maybe, to be honest I almost exclusively race with a wheel too, and if I really wanted to make a good time trial, I think I would do better with a wheel too, but it depends on the circuit. Anything with a 180 degree, 1st gear turn, the controller has a huge advantage.

Also controllers....oh wait. PS3 triggers aren't pressure sensitive are they? I've never played GT5 with a controller, I'm judging all my controller experience with Forza Horizon and such on the 360 (It's annoying to use a wheel when you car is bouncing on a golf course

Forza Horizon and GT5 are two different racing games. Also while wheels may not be good in Forza in Gran Turismo (and any other racing sim for that matter) they are essential to get good lap times and win races. You can hold you line better, get more precise movement and better throttle/brake response. 

Honestly I hope your exaggerating when you say a controller is better in Forza than a wheel because otherwise I lost all respect for Forza as a racing "sim".

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:
Michael-5 said:

Also controllers....oh wait. PS3 triggers aren't pressure sensitive are they? I've never played GT5 with a controller, I'm judging all my controller experience with Forza Horizon and such on the 360 (It's annoying to use a wheel when you car is bouncing on a golf course

Forza Horizon and GT5 are two different racing games. Also while wheels may not be good in Forza in Gran Turismo (and any other racing sim for that matter) they are essential to get good lap times and win races. You can hold you line better, get more precise movement and better throttle/brake response. 

Honestly I hope your exaggerating when you say a controller is better in Forza than a wheel because otherwise I lost all respect for Forza as a racing "sim".

I can't use a wheel in Forza Horizon because it's super annoying, the ground is never flat in that game. When I play Forza Motorsport 2-4, and PGR 3/4 I play exclusively with a wheel. I prefer a wheel, but I'm not sure sure if I'm faster with it. If anything, I think I'm slower. I posted my record times with a wheel, I just don't play Racing SIMs with a controller.

But I hear PS3 wheels are far more responsive, that's definitely one of the setbacks with the 360 wheel. I won't argue if people say that a wheel in GT5 is faster, guess I'll have to buy one when I get a PS3.

---

Don't judge Forza, judge the crappy wheels Microsoft used to make for the 360 lol. How much does a Logitec Wheel go for? Any recommendations?

Michael-5 said:

I can't use a wheel in Forza Horizon because it's super annoying, the ground is never flat in that game. When I play Forza Motorsport 2-4, and PGR 3/4 I play exclusively with a wheel. I prefer a wheel, but I'm not sure sure if I'm faster with it. If anything, I think I'm slower. I posted my record times with a wheel, I just don't play Racing SIMs with a controller.

But I hear PS3 wheels are far more responsive, that's definitely one of the setbacks with the 360 wheel. I won't argue if people say that a wheel in GT5 is faster, guess I'll have to buy one when I get a PS3.

---

Don't judge Forza, judge the crappy wheels Microsoft used to make for the 360 lol. How much does a Logitec Wheel go for? Any recommendations?

I have a GT Driving Force which I got for around $100 it works well even in iRacing and I'm competitive but most of the really good people use wheels like the G27 and up. I heard theres an adapter where you can use PS3 wheels on the 360 but forget if it worked well. I had Forza 3 back when I had an Xbox but it was before I really got in to racing competitivly so I never tried it with a wheel. 

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:
Michael-5 said:

---

I have a GT Driving Force which I got for around $100 it works well even in iRacing and I'm competitive but most of the really good people use wheels like the G27 and up. I heard theres an adapter where you can use PS3 wheels on the 360 but forget if it worked well. I had Forza 3 back when I had an Xbox but it was before I really got in to racing competitivly so I never tried it with a wheel. 

ethomaz tells me that my 360 wheel, even though it's Microsoft branded, works on the PS3, but then he also says it's a bad wheel so I dunno.

I don't really race competitively, I just know I'm fast. I almost won a PS3 in a GT5 competition, lol. I had the record lap time, but I messed up right at the end on Trail Mountain. Cut the last corner too hard and got a bit of air, and I didn't want to wait in a 20 minute line again...(was at the auto show). Still even backwards, I did rank well I recall, LOL.

Michael-5 said:

ethomaz tells me that my 360 wheel, even though it's Microsoft branded, works on the PS3, but then he also says it's a bad wheel so I dunno.

I don't really race competitively, I just know I'm fast. I almost won a PS3 in a GT5 competition, lol. I had the record lap time, but I messed up right at the end on Trail Mountain. Cut the last corner too hard and got a bit of air, and I didn't want to wait in a 20 minute line again...(was at the auto show). Still even backwards, I did rank well I recall, LOL.

I tells you yur 360 wheel works better on PS3 than 360... XID FFD is really bad.

PC and PS3 uses HID FFD.

"PS3 and PCs use HID force feedback mechanisms. The machine calculates the strength and direction of force feedback based on the actions in the game.

360/older PCs use XID force feedback mechanisms. The machine only calculates what force feedback profile to use based on actions in the game ("Profile 82!"), the wheel then determines the strength and direction based on that profile ("Profile 82? That's 42.6% left and 21.1% right, 0.04s apart!").

Since the machine only does some of the calculation and the wheel does some, it's more machine-efficient - more system resources are available to do other things - but it's also a technology tightly controlled by Microsoft and they will not licence it to Logitech. It also means all wheels - XID or HID - will work on HID devices (PS3/modern PCs), but you're limited to XID only on XID devices, and that means the official MS wheel (which is crap) or the Fanatec Turbo S (which is expensive)."

You are limited in 360 to XID... that's not a wheel issue.

Make a easy test... put your wheel on PS3 or PC not using XID and you see the FFD works in a way you never saw before .