By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

WHO WON??

Sony's PS3 419 34.57%

Microsoft's Xbox 360 102 8.42%

Nintendo's Wii 691 57.01%

Total:1,212

In terms of hardware and profits, Nintendo Wii, no question.

In terms of growth and influence, I'd say Microsoft has come a long way from outsider to legit competitor and innovator within the console market. Hate on Xbox One all you want, the 360 was a fantastic console and helped define the industry standards we are seeing grown in the next gen for better or worst.

Around the Network
F0X said:
Nintendo more than made up with their GameCube struggles by kicking everyone's collective butt. Wii and DS make for the best console/handheld pair of all time, and I doubt there will ever be such a dynamic duo again.
Microsoft grew their presence exponentially and did an excellent job of keeping the 360 relevant in the marketplace through exclusive deals and Kinect.
Sony is the only loser here, but only in relation to the PS2's success. PS3 scratched and clawed its way into second place, and the PSP actually performed well in terms of hardware sales. A decent first pass at a handheld.

Obviously Nintendo made the most money and that is paramount for any business, but everyone gets a passing grade for what may be the first time in industry history. The 16-bit era almost did, but the Turbo-Grafix 16 exists.

bolded: so far half of that duo is already happening.

Zero999 said:
F0X said:
Nintendo more than made up with their GameCube struggles by kicking everyone's collective butt. Wii and DS make for the best console/handheld pair of all time, and I doubt there will ever be such a dynamic duo again.
Microsoft grew their presence exponentially and did an excellent job of keeping the 360 relevant in the marketplace through exclusive deals and Kinect.
Sony is the only loser here, but only in relation to the PS2's success. PS3 scratched and clawed its way into second place, and the PSP actually performed well in terms of hardware sales. A decent first pass at a handheld.

Obviously Nintendo made the most money and that is paramount for any business, but everyone gets a passing grade for what may be the first time in industry history. The 16-bit era almost did, but the Turbo-Grafix 16 exists.

bolded: so far half of that duo is already happening.

Call me when Wii U/3DS reach a combined total of over 250 million units.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Lol @ people saying that Nintendo won during the PS2 era.

HikenNoAce said:

Well the financial figures over that period do show Nintendo were in fact making more money than sony in the ps2/ps1 era in all but 1 year. While Nintendo weren't winning regards of market share they were winning in regards to profit.

Around the Network
ChrolloLucilfer said:
HikenNoAce said:

Well the financial figures over that period do show Nintendo were in fact making more money than sony in the ps2/ps1 era in all but 1 year. While Nintendo weren't winning regards of market share they were winning in regards to profit.

That's what I'm talking about. I wasn't on forums back then but were people claiming the same thing during that generation?

so many are still in denial :P

I didn't think Sony would get that many votes.

keep voting guys maybe the poll will change reality!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:
so many are still in denial :P

I didn't think Sony would get that many votes.

keep voting guys maybe the poll will change reality!

They're trying really hard to develop Curé Syndrome.

Rafux said:
superspeedybull said:
Rafux said:
Nintendo, billions made.

Nintendo, although they won this gen, lost money. They didn't make billions they lost several hundred thousand to there total budget.

Nintendo losing money on 7th gen? I think you should get your facts right, 7th Gen was Wii and DS for Nintendo two of their biggest hits ever not only they made billions by the huge mark up of the Wii but also from all the peripherals like the Wii Fit board and Mario Kart Wheel.

I stand corrected, I was under the influence that since everyone was stating nintendo lost money this gen that they did. I still disagree they made billions however. 

kowenicki said:
mibuokami said:
kowenicki said:
If you look at the finances and pure numbers of it all then clearly Nintendo won... by a mile.

Saying otherwise is rather silly.

Whilst the Wii was clearly the most profitable console, its success came at a price, looking into their customer retention rate across generation and you can see clearly that the brand has suffered in the eyes of the core audiences, and Nintendo unfortunately, did not strike gold twice with a 'gimmick innovation' and has suffered significantly due to this.

The 360 in contrast, became the poster child for core gaming and gained a significant market share of the core audiences, the same type of audience that have high adotpion and rentention rate across generations and I would defintely label MS as another 'winner' this gen.

So would I, but I was answering the pointed question.

Oh yes, no doubt, I'm just pointing out that Nintendo's victory is rather pyrrhic in nature.