By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the PS4 have Extra power for no Reason? (Like PS3)

PS3 had a lot of extra power, but its architecture held it back. The slow blu-ray drive, low memory available, and inadequate data buses were the things that really limited PS3. Had those been better, PS3 would've ran laps around 360.

Sony seems to have corrected this with the PS4. Dropping cell, Blu-ray drives are faster, 8gb of gddr5 memory, and adequate data buses.

I liken the PS3 to putting Einstein's brain into completely paralyzed body. It could think and think of doing great things, but had no vehicle to deliver them to the world. The PS4 is like combining an Olympian with Einstein... There won't be as much talk about potential because it will be accessible.

Around the Network

PS4 will "supposedly" be getting the better looking multiplat games this time around

6:20 to 6:40 Listen to what Jack says about the 3rd party multiplats

It's not that PS4 has extra power, it's that XOne does not have as much as expected (remember when most people where pretty sure MS would for certain make console that beats Sony is raw power).

Honestly, they both under-delivered when it comes to raw power, but $399 more or less justifies it for PS4.

Cold-Flipper said:

What's up with Sony & powerful systems?

I have always thought that the power advantage the PS3 had was so minimal that the average consumer wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Somebody who looks at a PS3 exclusive and then a 360 exclusive wouldn't be able to say which system has the better graphics. Yet, on paper, the PS3 seems to be capable of more visually.

Fast forward to the upcoming gen of systems and Sony seems to be doing the same thing. On paper, the PS4 will be the most powerful system of the gen. Look at the games though, and most people won't notice a difference between it and the XB1.

My question is... Why? I could be wrong and admittedly I'm not the most tech knowledgeable person of the bunch, but I would think this slight bit of extra power would cost more money. If the benefits aren't even that noticeable, why do it?

Again, I could be completely off base so just explain it to me if I am.

They want future proof systems and provide more power for developers to deliver their experience if they wish(but microsoft limiting this). This is why sony systems stays for longer period and get support becoz it has still power to deliver games for longer time.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Didn't the PS3 having inferior RAM and GPU?

Around the Network

Well it's not going to hurt the consumer any and does give Sony bragging rights which can be useful in courting the early adopter. We might also see some small performance gains in third party games.

My question is how much cheaper would DDR3 and the same GPU as the XBone have been? Is that money Sony really could have done with having in the bank? Naughty Dog and Santa Monica studios are going to produce close to the best looking games on the market regardless of which hardware you give them so I don't know that Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 are alone a good enough argument for needing to have more powerful hardware.

p.s. I'm willing to bet the graphics cards compared above have more differences than just a 10% difference in teraflops. Either the 6870 is an older architecture, was using immature drivers or is somehow bottle-necked at such high resolutions. I don't follow graphics cards these days so I might be completely wrong.

Cold-Flipper said:

I have always thought that the power advantage the PS3 had was so minimal that the average consumer wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Somebody who looks at a PS3 exclusive and then a 360 exclusive wouldn't be able to say which system has the better graphics.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yes they would. You only had to show him Uncharted 3, Last of Us, God of War and Killzone. If anything, the difference in power is even bigger this time, 50 percent better GPU and faster ram. I believe we've already seen the difference, compare the Dark Sorcerer, The Order or Deep Down demos to the Xbone games. No contest

Turkish said:
Cold-Flipper said:

I have always thought that the power advantage the PS3 had was so minimal that the average consumer wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Somebody who looks at a PS3 exclusive and then a 360 exclusive wouldn't be able to say which system has the better graphics.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yes they would. You only had to show him Uncharted 3, Last of Us, God of War and Killzone. If anything, the difference in power is even bigger this time, 50 percent better GPU and faster ram. I believe we've already seen the difference, compare the Dark Sorcerer, The Order or Deep Down demos to the Xbone games. No contest

The Dark Sorcerer was a tech dmo, also Halo 4 walked away with Best Graphics at the VGA awards.

For comparison,  There's two garphics card, they're both the same and they're both built with the same gpu architecture and same model type..  Lets compare two GTX 680 they are both identical but one of the video cards has 4gb GDDR5 of ram and the other has 2gb GDDR5 of ram, which one will perform better?  they both can run the same game, they both can do 1080p up to 1600p .  Now this what the extra 2gb of memory execel from, it can handle multi monitors better, it handles higher resolution better before it runs out of memory, it renders stuff faster.

The HD 7770 equivalent thats in the XBOne is a low end card, to make that low end card worse, it has ddr3 memory, DDR3 memory its old and slow for todays GPU standards, at least they should've kept with GDDR5 memory for the GPU and ddr3 for system memory.   Xbox one gpu will struggle to render stuff fast enough at higher settings and at higher resolutions mostly due to its slower memory .. Devs really would have to optimize their multi plat games made for the XBone just to keep the same quality on both platforms.

The HD 7870 equivalent in the PS4 is a mid range card with GDDR5 memory, this card is pretty beefy, it can handle higher res without sacrificing fps, it will render stuff faster due to the faster memory,   games will run smooth on both platform but that same game will run smoother on the PS4 with less sacrifices ..

In short, Xbone multi plat games = harder to program for due to the slower gpu and slower memory which leads to more time consuming due to the optimization (sacrificing) issues just to keep quality on par with the PS4.

PS4 multi plat games = easier to program for due to its faster gpu and memory ( no need to cut corners) and less time consuming, more straight foward, less sacrifices .

Even though multi plat games will be on par on both system, the XBONE version will take extra time (optimization) to equaly match the same game on the PS4 ...  The extra power and ease to program for would make the PS4 the lead platform..  IMO.

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

Nsanity said:
Didn't the PS3 having inferior RAM and GPU?

It sure did, the cells had to make up for the short fall, which they did, but only for those devs willing to put alot of effort in, next gen there doesnt seem to be any architecture hiccups. Just simply raw power differences.