By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumour: Microsoft Will Announce Xbox One Self-Publishing At Build

disolitude said:
Osc89 said:
disolitude said:
Who knows, its quite possible...but all we can do now is have pointless banter about it.

No chance of revolution or massive marketshare drops when there is no differentiation between preceding or competing offerings of a product.

Or they could have just added the features to digital downloads and let the consumer decide. Or an opt in / opt out choice in the settings where you can choose whether or not to register a disc. They could have had their revolution, just while keeping their policies backwards compatible.

Its possible that you and I are not privy to information for something that they have planned which needed them to discard their old policies.

Most people that deal with digital ecosystems know that without platform consistency for every user, the experience inevitably gets diluted for everyone in the long run as you can't count on standardization.

As a project manager that has managed many large website and app launches in the last few years, I can tell you that sometimes you have to break support with certain things, to implement other better things. I've been part of website re-designs and re-launches with totally different layout and functionality, causing them to lose half of the audience but double the revenue. I've seen it backfire too...

With technology and disruption, if you never end up using a back up plan, you played it way too safe and you're not going to disrupt anything. Microsoft just used theirs...

If that was the case, then they still have a very big problem with communication. They were unable to express how these new policies were better or why they required the loss of the old ones. And given how they were completely incompetent in this respect, why give them the benefit of assuming their policies were well thought out and beneficial, instead of also a complete mess? The evidence points to them not knowing what they were doing.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
disolitude said:
Osc89 said:
disolitude said:
Who knows, its quite possible...but all we can do now is have pointless banter about it.

No chance of revolution or massive marketshare drops when there is no differentiation between preceding or competing offerings of a product.

Or they could have just added the features to digital downloads and let the consumer decide. Or an opt in / opt out choice in the settings where you can choose whether or not to register a disc. They could have had their revolution, just while keeping their policies backwards compatible.

Its possible that you and I are not privy to information for something that they have planned which needed them to discard their old policies.

Most people that deal with digital ecosystems know that without platform consistency for every user, the experience inevitably gets diluted for everyone in the long run as you can't count on standardization.

As a project manager that has managed many large website and app launches in the last few years, I can tell you that sometimes you have to break support with certain things, to implement other better things. I've been part of website re-designs and re-launches with totally different layout and functionality, causing them to lose half of the audience but double the revenue. I've seen it backfire too...

With technology and disruption, if you never end up using a back up plan, you played it way too safe and you're not going to disrupt anything. Microsoft just used theirs...

If that was the case, then they still have a very big problem with communication. They were unable to express how these new policies were better or why they required the loss of the old ones. And given how they were completely incompetent in this respect, why give them the benefit of assuming their policies were well thought out and beneficial, instead of also a complete mess? The evidence points to them not knowing what they were doing.

I think not knowing and not being able to share at this point and time is debatable here. Seems like juggling retail, publishers and rabbid gamers is not a very easy task...  You can't really come out and state your strategy when you're dealing with 3 sides all of which are pushing their agenda and you need all 3 to play ball for your vision to work.

When its all said and done, I really don't think gamers would have been shafted at the end as they are the ones who spend money on all of this and can easily stop spending money, but who knows. Everyone could have gotten the shaft when Microsoft is involved...

I don't see why MS is getting flak over this, as they were a leading supporter of indie devs on the 360. They raised the profile of Jon Blow, Phil Fish and Team Meat, to the extent we know these prima-donnas by name when they're moaning about Microsoft.

Overall, i think ms has excellent pr and advertising, but dont really seem to be good at judging/implementing a balance beyween the future and consumer wants/needs. Which results in them being overall unreliable at best

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Meh... I know it`s good overall but it just don`t excite me since most indie games I find either uninteresting or I wanted them and they became XBLA games so changing how they did indie game publishing won`t make any difference at least for me. Journey is the only indie on PS3 I wish was on X360. Joe Danger was the other one and to be far out of all the indie games I have purchased most didn`t keep my interest for long except for Joe Danger.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network
HesAPooka said:

After that they'll make Kinect optional, and change the name to XB3

WIN!

sales2099 said:
See. With 5 months to go, thats a luxury MS can take to fix these things before the thing comes out.

Dont know why this is even a issue in the first place......indie devs typically need to be published and only the larger indie studios can afford to self publish.

But w/e, more games and less PS fans using it as a con.

It was an issue because MS were unwilling to move, it's now not an issue because MS are moving their collective asses, why? BECAUSE PEOPLE COMPLAINED!!!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
sales2099 said:
See. With 5 months to go, thats a luxury MS can take to fix these things before the thing comes out.

Dont know why this is even a issue in the first place......indie devs typically need to be published and only the larger indie studios can afford to self publish.

It was an issue because MS were unwilling to move, it's now not an issue because MS are moving their collective asses, why? BECAUSE PEOPLE COMPLAINED!!!

This shouldn't have been one of the points to complain about. MS was the leading supporter of indie games for the entire gen. Only now is Sony levelling the field.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Ajescent said:
sales2099 said:

This shouldn't have been one of the points to complain about. MS was the leading supporter of indie games for the entire gen. Only now is Sony levelling the field.

Why not? Just because they were the leading supporters doesn't give them a pass when they suddenly do a U-turn, if anything it makes them more eligible for a "What the hell hero?"

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
sales2099 said:
Ajescent said:
sales2099 said:

Why not? Just because they were the leading supporters doesn't give them a pass when they suddenly do a U-turn, if anything it makes them more eligible for a "What the hell hero?"

Whoever said they did a u-turn.  This was a quote on the subject from Don Mattrick when they made the X1 reveal(kotaku)

Mattrick: "We're going to have an independent creator program... There's no way we're going to build a box that doesn't support that."

MS already stated a while ago that they were creating a program for indie developers so this is no U-turn from them or something they changed.  When.  At the time they were not ready to talk specifics because they have an event coming up which is build that will go into all the detail.  The reason people got all bent out of shape is when the head of MS studios stated things will not change for XBLA which it will not.  You have always needed a publisher for XBLA and that probably will not change.  MS plan for indie developers and developers in general will change as they will open the platform to everyone.