By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ellen Page claims Naughty Dog “ripped off” her likeness

bananaking21 said:
Pristine20 said:
bananaking21 said:

you didnt watch inception? you are a very very bad human being 

I don't watch that many movies. My "entertainment time is mostly spent on gaming and listening to music"

if you didnt have a naughty dog avatar and sig with a helghan in it you would have become my arch enemy, but your good

lol, the naughty dog avatar is by chance. The character in my Avatar is Aya Brea from one of my all-time fav games "Parasite Eve II". SHe truly was what a strong-female lead should be IMO. However, whoever made the pic had a naughty dog logo instead of squaresoft for whatever reason. I am a super killzone 2 fanatic tough. Being your arch-enemy sounds scary so I'm glad we're good lol.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

well than... lol its funny because its 2 sony exclusives. last of us and beyond 2 souls

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

If you look at the original character designs before the in-game changes were made, it was obvious to everyone who knew who Ellen Page (as she looked during the production of Juno) is who the character inspiration for Ellie was.

Ellie, Ellen? Come on. Captain Obvious is calling.

I had just assumed it was deliberate and that ND was going to get Ellen Page to do the voice acting. Imagine my surprise when news on Beyond followed.

ND made Ellie look younger, and altered her slightly in response. It is a little confusing to some to see the same actress appear in two separate games, hence the response from Page herself. She's obviously going to be playing a key part in promoting Beyond, and it doesn't help when it looks like she's in another game.

Sony payed her to say that.

noname2200 said:
Player1x3 said:

Ellie is not Ellen Page

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
ironmanDX said:
JayWood2010 said:

As usual I see rude comments in here about a public figure. Seeing as people has been mistaking Ellie for Ellen Page (even the name Ellie and Ellen is similar) since the reveal it is obvious that they look extremely similar and from an actor's perspective that is a pretty cheap way of cashing in on off her popularity where she gets no rewards out of it. Video games isn't like they was 10 years ago. Now acting goes hand in hand with voice acting and The Last of Us presents that very well and when people don't know what the game is but they are a fan of her and see someone who looks like her on the cover they may buy it thinking it is Ellen Page.

Let me use Brad Pitt as an example. It would be very crappy if a video game developer made someone look exactly like him but not cast him as the voice actor/actor because they are basically cashing in on his popularity without paying him.  And in some cases could hurt their reputation if the voice actor or game does bad.  Now that video games are starting to look more realistic this could potentially be a problem in the future.  Especially when you have a look a like on the front cover.

The problem is that this can't be taken to court because it can not be proven that they copied her looks as there is small differences to set them a part.  But ever since the reveal it has been obvious and now Ellen has even commented about it.

So, people have read this and the thread continues anyway?

I didn't read the whole thread but the problem with that post is that Ellen Page has a pretty generic look. I feel like I've seen many Ellen Pages in my relatively short lifetime already. Someone even had a side-by-side pic on twitter where she basically looked like Justin Bieber's twin sister. There are legit look alike cases that were unplanned and while I think this one may not be as transparent, I think it's kind of ridiculous to think that a significant number of people bought TLOU because Ellie "looks like" Ellen Page

You are very wrong on saying she is generic.  She is actually instantly recognizable and she has become a rising star.  It is the reason this case has been brought up immediately as soon as the game was revealed.   Justin Bieber looks nothing like either one of them which is why that is not an issue.  When the majority of people has mistaken Ellie for being Ellen Page then yes there is a problem so play defense all you want but there is a reason for that and it isnt because she is "generic".  People are not saying hey look she looks like Justin!  Horrible defense on your part. A few people in this thread who hasn't known who she is kind of baffles me since she is a rising star.  Juno, Inception, the east, etc is all big movies she has played in.  

With all that said this thread needs to die as more people like you comes in and says things they seem to know little about but defend Naughty Dog at all costs and then you have people defending Ellen Page and then it just goes in a big circle.  Just so everybody knows this does not change how the game is looked at.  It is still an amazing game. She is allowed to be upset and has reason to.  Now people can move on with their lives.  ND does need to stop this kind of stuff now that games are becoming more mainstream and more realistic looking though.

green_sky said:
How the hell did this thread get to 17 pages. This "non issue" even made my local newspaper which happens to be a national newspaper. So yea i don't really get the appeal of this requiring in depth discussion.

It is a big deal though.  I don't think what she said is a big deal but heading in to next gen this is a huge deal.  This is the first game that has portayed people very accurately as people being animated and facial expressions etc while copying Ellen Page.  This type of thing is cashing in on someone's popularity without paying them and in some cases could hurt those actors reputation based on if the game was good or bad, and because games are becoming more realistic with animations, graphics, and acting you can not just ripoff someone.  If these things continues expect laws to be changed for these type of things as video games are now a form of entertainment just like movies.

Am I the only one which thinks the boy from 'the road" has more similarities with Ellie than Ellen Page?

bananaking21 said:
wtf is the matter with people? "use her likeness without her permission"? so basically if an model does have similarities with a famous person they should go ask "permission" to use her "likeness?" yeah naughty dog should have went and kissed ellen pages ass because ellie's name and hair is like ellen page. WTF?!

here is a question, so ellie looks familiar to ellen page, SO THE FUCK WHAT?!

I commented because people were bad mouthing Ellen Page over this which is ridiculous, she is well within her rights to say what she did.  You're dismissing this as tough luck on the actor/actress that their image was "stolen", well I can guarantee this generation that if these practices continue a developer will be sued and they will lose.

betacon said:
Am I the only one which thinks the boy from 'the road" has more similarities with Ellie than Ellen Page?

yes