By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ellen Page claims Naughty Dog “ripped off” her likeness

bananaking21 said:
BinaryDelt said:

I'm going to find everything that contains anything that looks like me and demand money from them.  Thanks for the idea.

fuck that shit. anything that has 2 eyes, 1 nose and a mouth i will sue till the end of days. how dare people have similarities. you either fucking ask my permission or pay big time!

I counter sue you for stealing my idea!  And likeness of my post!

Around the Network
BinaryDelt said:
bananaking21 said:
BinaryDelt said:

I'm going to find everything that contains anything that looks like me and demand money from them.  Thanks for the idea.

fuck that shit. anything that has 2 eyes, 1 nose and a mouth i will sue till the end of days. how dare people have similarities. you either fucking ask my permission or pay big time!

I counter sue you for stealing my idea!  And likeness of my post!

ill sue you for the likeness in your actions by sueing me just like i sued you!

(i hope people get the damn point already lol)

irstupid said:
arcane_chaos said:
it does look like her, but I don't know why she'd get upset, specailly since she's starring in another Sony exclusive, also why what til now? we've all known what Ellie looked like for over a year..maybe this is just some weird PR play to give Last of Us more attention

1. Starring in her own game means she gets money from that game.  She gets zero dollars from Last of Us.  Why should Last of Us get money off of her image, when she is getting none?  Now I'm not saying Last of Us is so great because a character looks like someone, but for an actor or actress where their Look is a major part of them, then I doubt its something they take lightly to being ripped of.  

2. PR stunt?  She didn't bring it up, someone asked her about it.  She said she was flattered, but seeing how she has her own game she did not appreciate it.

I just don't understand defenders of ND being so strong.   

1. She didn't bring it up

2. She responded very respectfully

3. She has her own game, and receives zero money from Last of Us.  Doesn't matter if both are Sony games.  

4. Everyone and their mother knows damn well it looks like Ellen Page.  It was brought to the huge limelight over a year ago.  ND even slightly changed the characters appearance to make it not soo damn blatantly obvious.  And when I say "slightly" I mean slightly.  It's like they took an Ellen Page avatar in a character creation screen and then moved one bar for example the nose from 24 to 32.  Then said, "there, the character is now Unique"

She should get paid because a character looks somewhat similar to her? That would make creating a character so difficult. Don't say that it's "her image". She looks like her yes but it's not "her image".

Saying that someone ripped her off isn't very respectful in my book.

The first Ellie yes looked a lot like her. The new one kind of does, but no where near where it counts as ripping her off.

I asked my girlfriend if Ellen Page looked like Ellie based off the photos on Kotaku and she said no. Since she's someone who actually knew who Ellen Page was prior to this fiasco (unlike myself who only knew her as some chick in Beyond: 2 souls), I will take her word for it. She came up with features of the two that were very different.

Now before you call me a naughty dog fanboy, know that I've never bought a single game they developed ever and have owned a PS1,2,3. PS3 since mid 2007.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

How the hell did this thread get to 17 pages. This "non issue" even made my local newspaper which happens to be a national newspaper. So yea i don't really get the appeal of this requiring in depth discussion.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
I asked my girlfriend if Ellen Page looked like Ellie based off the photos on Kotaku and she said no. Since she's someone who actually knew who Ellen Page was prior to this fiasco (unlike myself who only knew her as some chick in Beyond: 2 souls), I will take her word for it. She came up with features of the two that were very different.

Now before you call me a naughty dog fanboy, know that I've never bought a single game they developed ever and have owned a PS1,2,3. PS3 since mid 2007.

you didnt watch inception? you are a very very bad human being 

JayWood2010 said:

As usual I see rude comments in here about a public figure. Seeing as people has been mistaking Ellie for Ellen Page (even the name Ellie and Ellen is similar) since the reveal it is obvious that they look extremely similar and from an actor's perspective that is a pretty cheap way of cashing in on off her popularity where she gets no rewards out of it. Video games isn't like they was 10 years ago. Now acting goes hand in hand with voice acting and The Last of Us presents that very well and when people don't know what the game is but they are a fan of her and see someone who looks like her on the cover they may buy it thinking it is Ellen Page.

Let me use Brad Pitt as an example. It would be very crappy if a video game developer made someone look exactly like him but not cast him as the voice actor/actor because they are basically cashing in on his popularity without paying him.  And in some cases could hurt their reputation if the voice actor or game does bad.  Now that video games are starting to look more realistic this could potentially be a problem in the future.  Especially when you have a look a like on the front cover.

The problem is that this can't be taken to court because it can not be proven that they copied her looks as there is small differences to set them a part.  But ever since the reveal it has been obvious and now Ellen has even commented about it.

So, people have read this and the thread continues anyway?

ironmanDX said:
JayWood2010 said:

As usual I see rude comments in here about a public figure. Seeing as people has been mistaking Ellie for Ellen Page (even the name Ellie and Ellen is similar) since the reveal it is obvious that they look extremely similar and from an actor's perspective that is a pretty cheap way of cashing in on off her popularity where she gets no rewards out of it. Video games isn't like they was 10 years ago. Now acting goes hand in hand with voice acting and The Last of Us presents that very well and when people don't know what the game is but they are a fan of her and see someone who looks like her on the cover they may buy it thinking it is Ellen Page.

Let me use Brad Pitt as an example. It would be very crappy if a video game developer made someone look exactly like him but not cast him as the voice actor/actor because they are basically cashing in on his popularity without paying him.  And in some cases could hurt their reputation if the voice actor or game does bad.  Now that video games are starting to look more realistic this could potentially be a problem in the future.  Especially when you have a look a like on the front cover.

The problem is that this can't be taken to court because it can not be proven that they copied her looks as there is small differences to set them a part.  But ever since the reveal it has been obvious and now Ellen has even commented about it.

So, people have read this and the thread continues anyway?

I didn't read the whole thread but the problem with that post is that Ellen Page has a pretty generic look. I feel like I've seen many Ellen Pages in my relatively short lifetime already. Someone even had a side-by-side pic on twitter where she basically looked like Justin Bieber's twin sister. There are legit look alike cases that were unplanned and while I think this one may not be as transparent, I think it's kind of ridiculous to think that a significant number of people bought TLOU because Ellie "looks like" Ellen Page

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

bananaking21 said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't watch that many movies. My "entertainment time is mostly spent on gaming and listening to music"

Pristine20 said:
bananaking21 said:

I don't watch that many movies. My "entertainment time is mostly spent on gaming and listening to music"

if you didnt have a naughty dog avatar and sig with a helghan in it you would have become my arch enemy, but your good