By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Clarify Family Sharing, Wasn’t Only Demos

It didn't happen yet so it can be anything. I'm sure what we heard was the original design, but based on the reactions it's evolving. If that's the case then it was good the community bitches. If they provide the feature still we'll benefit from full game sharing.

Around the Network
MaulerX said:
"crazy buttocks on a train >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aaron Greenberg"

Paul Thurrott also said the paste in was bullshit and that shared games had no limit. I guess people prefer believing anonymous ramblings that better suit their agenda.

I'll believe someone with a track record of being correct (CBOAT) over someone with a track record of being a professional Microsoft shill (Thurrott), that's for sure.

i guess we will see if they are lying or not. there is no reason why they cant implement family sharing on digital downloads, if they do so they werent lying, if they dont then i call bullshit

I feel like its Microsoft giving the middle finger to the consumer. "Oh you wanted this really awesome feature and you wanted us to take away DRM and let you play used games? Too bad- it was really going to be awesome too. I mean we didn't actually clarify anything about it, but believe us it was going to be great and thanks to you guys, we'll never see it."

If Microsoft really had any faith in this feature, they'd still allow it for digital downloaded games. It makes no sense to take this feature out because they gave up on a vision that most consumers didn't share.

Coming from an application development and design background perhaps I hold a different perspective.  Also, I first try to look for the technical difficulties before trying for fit a conspiracy theory or consider decisions of this sort being directed purely on emotion.

To me the situation feels like there is a technical design constraint where there is no way for the system to distinquish between a game loaded from a disk and one downloaded from the cloud.  Once the game was ripped from the disk the image likely looked exactly the same as a digitally downloaded one.  So without system DRM redesign, which they may do down the road, they would have have to temporarily drop the family sharing for the alternative "lock the disk in the drive" method.  Here's hoping they can make a work-around by launch.

That's just my take of course.

Around the Network

If MS decides to bring back the "family sharing" (which they definitely should) for just digital games they could show everyone how neat of a feature it really is, and slowly pull people into buying just digital. That way if they do want to go all digital gen 9, it could sway a lot more people.

The reason why people like myself are not into the DRM and digital only is because we don't know the benefits of why it's better, and that is were MS really fucked up these last few weeks. If MS could show us this upcoming gen how great it really is, it could change a lot of minds.

I'll never understand this "they didn't clarify it" nonsense. They stated in writing that your entire digital library could be shared with up to 10 people at no additional charge. The ONLY draw back was multiple people (more than 1) couldn't be playing the same game at the same time over the network. That's it! That was the whole thing! What part of that did you not understand exactly?

Nah, people didn't WANT to understand, that's all.

Just_Rocco said:
What part of that did you not understand exactly?

The part where used games are supposedly killing the industry but you could apparently go to a Microsoft Approved Retailer™ and buy a used game and put it online to share with NINE other people.

The part where Sony originally did this with mere five consoles sharing one digitally downloaded game on the PS3 and still had to bust it down to two consoles due to publisher complaints, but Microsoft was going to get away with ten people sharing one copy of a game.

The part where I'm supposed to be gullible enough to think that such a feature as Microsoft wants you to believe they were implementing would ever in a million years be allowed to exist in this industry.

I don't understand those parts.

Multimedialover said:
This is what's sad about the internet. People now say they using this as good pr. Lol

if this was Sony people would be like yeah love Sony. Even if they historically lie in e3 shows.

but Microsoft are always lieing. Ok then.

i believe them. And i believe we will see this for digital titles, being a great way to shift the xbox community gradually away from disc.

Of course, it is more convenient for the Internet to believe that :)

So therefore anything they say is a Lie and you can't believe anything they say? Give me a break, its because they were honest that got them in trouble in the first place with the DRM issue. If they had remained elusive on the issue nobody would have known any better until release day. Think for just 30 seconds, if Xbox One offers demos for all their games including AAA release titles then what is the logic of them offering more demos for people in your family plan. Part of the requirement to share the games in the first place was 30 days part of the family. Why the hell would people wait 30 days to just play a demo for 30-60 minutes when they can do that without being part of a Family and having to wait 30 days. This was the real deal from day one period...