By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Swapping disks - a big deal? Kind of...

When it comes to disk based gaming, on top of drawbacks involving game storage, potential disk damage and disk drives burning out there exists the issue of swapping disks.

People around here seem to be saying how swapping disks isn't that big of a deal. Who in the right mind is so lazy that they can't swap a disk when they want to play a new game?

I happen to disagree...

Below is a scenario showcasing the difference between Xbox One and Xbox 360 when it comes to playing disk based games (before the DRM reversal)

Xbox 360 Xbox One
  1. Accept the invite
  2. stop your current game
  3. Take out the disk
  4. find the other game disk
  5. pop the disk in
  6. Wait for the game to load (my god, the title screen intros!)
  7. Wait for the match to connect
  8. Happy hunting 
  1. Accept the invite (continue playing current game until other game loads, and match connects)
  2. (new game starts) Happy Hunting 

I find this to be a big difference in terms of time and convinience. People that don't base their lives around gaming but try to squeeze it in when possible should feel the same. When you have 15-20 minutes to play game in a day before life throws something else your way, the time you save and gaming you get by not having to swap disks makes a huge difference.

Xbox One will still work like this for digital games, however retail games are most likely going to function same as Xbox 360.

Just an FYI for those that keep insulting people for being lazy about swapping disks...

Around the Network

Again... buy digital only if you don't want to deal with discs. I seriously don't see why you're bitching so much about this when the current setup works perfectly fine if you don't want disc.

I fully agree digital is simplier. So if you don't care about resell... just buy digital.

Generally, when people talk about it not taking much effort to swap disks, they're talking about the actual time it takes them, not the number of bullet points you can make on a list about the actions that need to be taken.

The Xbox One does seem to be making it completely seamless though, if what you're saying is true (I haven't looked up details myself). Cool stuff.

superchunk said:

Again... buy digital only if you don't want to deal with discs. I seriously don't see why you're bitching so much about this when the current setup works perfectly fine if you don't want disc.

I fully agree digital is simplier. So if you don't care about resell... just buy digital.

Thats your answer to everything.  "buy digital". 

Im not bitching about something I can't do and will buy digital. I'm just pointing out why people shouldn't call me lazy for seeing disk based gaming as a huge drawback.  There may be people who don't know about this and are buying retail games on disks when they would gladly buy digital if they knew how much simpler and convenient it is.

disolitude said:

Thats your answer to everything.  "buy digital". 

Im not bitching about something I can't do and will buy digital. I'm just pointing out why people shouldn't call me lazy for seeing disk based gaming as a huge drawback.  There may be people who don't know about this and are buying retail games on disks when they would gladly buy digital if they knew how much simpler and convenient it is.

I just see you creating a lot of threads around the idea of MS going back to the status quo, so when a new one pops up, I'm like wat?

As for the point of this particular OP, yeah I fully agree. Digital is far easier and more conienant than disc and its not just the lazy factor. Its the reason I've stopped buying music or movies on disc years ago. If games were not $60 new, I'd likely fully stop buying games on disc too now that its more prevalent.

Around the Network

seriously dude, your reaching waaay too much now, just accept it, It takes a minute to swap a disk, heck even less than that. Yeah its not instant like digital games. But its not THAT MUCH of a hindrance that a thread needs to be made about it.

If you hate disks so much then just buy digital, that option hasn't been taken away from you. I think its common knowledge that by buying physical disks you would have to swap them to play a new game.

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

avais1993 said:
seriously dude, your reaching waaay too much now, just accept it, It takes a minute to swap a disk, heck even less than that. Yeah its not instant like digital games. But its not THAT MUCH of a hindrance that a thread needs to be made about it.

If you hate disks so much then just buy digital, that option hasn't been taken away from you. I think its common knowledge that by buying physical disks you would have to swap them to play a new game.

One day when you have to make dinner for your kids and have a dog to walk and a 30 minute timeframe to do it in but would like to play a few games in the process, you may get what I'm saying...

you are forgetting to mention the HDD cap. If it's full you'll have to add extern HDD. So this will make the XB1 names invalid.

Not only are you lazy for seeing disc based gaming as a huge drawback, you're lazy for using so few bullet points. I could have at least doubled yours.

• Accept the invite
  • stop your current game
  • Take out the disk
  • find the other game disk
  • see sexy picture on the box
  • masturbate
  • clean up
  • masturbate again
  • forget to clean up
  • eat a sandwich
  • find the box again
  • open the box
  • take the disc out of the box
  • think about masturbating again
  • nah, I'm good
  • masturbate anyway
  • look for the disc again
  • oh, it was under my underwear
  • wipe off spooge
  • pop the disk in
  • Wait for the game to load (my god, the title screen intros!)
  • Wait for the match to connect
  • Happy hunting 

• badgenome said:

Not only are you lazy for seeing disc based gaming as a huge drawback, you're lazy for using so few bullet points. I could have at least doubled yours.

• see sexy picture on the box
  • masturbate

• You;re posting this as an assumption that I'm playing Harry Potter: Half-Blood Prince over and over