By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Swapping disks - a big deal? Kind of...

It's a feature that I'm still perfectly okay with.....While the advantages of digital is quite enticing, I personally still prefer a medium that requires you to physically swap a disks for the added security and freedom (like Calmador said).

Yes you don't have to worry about games getting scratched, lost, broken or swapping (I had to replace my original copy of SSBB), but I'd rather still use a medium that doesn't go corrupt (like the way digital does), I don't have to worry about DRM, hacking, or anything of that sorts.

Though you're op is speaking of disc based specifically, Nintendo seems to have made it a little more convenient with hot swapping games on the 3DS.

Physical based content is a much older form of technology, but it sure's hell not an obsolete one. (Though I'm not saying that your op implying this)

Around the Network

We all know the PS4 will feature a disc changing imp that will be 1000x times faster than the XBox One solution. He'll be fed on the tears of XBone fans and will constantly become stronger, eventually surpassing the power of the cloud. And then the PS4 games will become so photorealistic that your balls will bleed through your eyes whenever you'll boot Dead or Alive Extreme 6.

15-20 minutes pare almost killed me. If thats all you have time for gaming, then you're NOT gaming, not on consoles anyway. I say give up the ghost at thost point, your gaming days or done. Thats like two cod matches, a couple of fighting game matches, hell you cant do much in that time if you are play Skyrim or any game from that genre. Stick to mobiles at that point.

The recent ps4 interface vid that I saw shows that Sony is thinking along those same lines. Disc needs to die.

disolitude said:
avais1993 said:
seriously dude, your reaching waaay too much now, just accept it, It takes a minute to swap a disk, heck even less than that. Yeah its not instant like digital games. But its not THAT MUCH of a hindrance that a thread needs to be made about it.

If you hate disks so much then just buy digital, that option hasn't been taken away from you. I think its common knowledge that by buying physical disks you would have to swap them to play a new game.

One day when you have to make dinner for your kids and have a dog to walk and a 30 minute timeframe to do it in but would like to play a few games in the process, you may get what I'm saying...

So you need a handheld :P.

Around the Network

So... if you don't like discs, buy digital games. Nobody argued for a completely disc based system.

/topic

Some people have woeful reading comprehension on this site. The thread was made to highlight a different viewpoint that is constantly shouted down on the forums and yet once again the opinion is snubbed and the poster shouted down. The OP didn't say other views are wrong he just asked for people to understand where him and others like him are coming from and be respectful and you can't even do that. Its pretty sad.

slowmo said:
Some people have woeful reading comprehension on this site. The thread was made to highlight a different viewpoint that is constantly shouted down on the forums and yet once again the opinion is snubbed and the poster shouted down. The OP didn't say other views are wrong he just asked for people to understand where him and others like him are coming from and be respectful and you can't even do that. Its pretty sad.

The sad thing is that people who understand my post and what I am saying are not the people that need to read it in the first place.  Regardless though, I appreciate the fact youre pointing this out...

disolitude said:
Xbox 360 Xbox One
  1. Accept the invite
  2. stop your current game
  3. Take out the disk
  4. find the other game disk
  5. pop the disk in
  6. Wait for the game to load (my god, the title screen intros!)
  7. Wait for the match to connect
  8. Happy hunting 
  1. Accept the invite (continue playing current game until other game loads, and match connects)
  2. (new game starts) Happy Hunting 

Obvious solution, if implemented correctly:

Disc not required at all times during play, just within every, say, 5 minutes. Only thing required in this case is the disc-swap itself. Everything else can happen immediately.

Note that you could even make it so that games can load without the disc being in, you just have to have it in beyond a certain point. Therefore, accepting the invite could start the game loading immediately, while you're getting the disc.

Plus, as I've pointed out before, there's nothing conceptually stopping MS from having a dual system with both disc-DRM and online-DRM options, with the idea being that one version requires the disc in, while the other requires an internet connection for validation. Best of both worlds, those who prefer digital get disc-free play while those who dislike the DRM can use the disc.

wow you dont need to play games on discs if you hate it that much.

Hell why dont you go as far as blame SEGA/SONY for going down the disc path in the first place.

Cartridges was the way but expensive, now that we got good flash memory that is cheap I am sure we could go back and there be no need for hdds as you could have some additional storage space on each cart for you to update the game and EVEN save it and share your save with your friends lol.