By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the most expensive used game from the last generation?

Tagged games:

Australian used game market is where the money is.

Around the Network

I have Metroid Trilogy. I still haven't finished it lol, still in the middle of Echoes.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Well, it may not be of the same magnitude but Super Mario Galaxy 2... in stores. I checked Gamestop and Disc Re-play and each used copy was $48 compared to $50 new. No it isn't 100+ but still it was more than I was willing to pay. Especially since Galaxy 1 is $15 or below.

Used RPGs, especially ones that are sold in limited quantities, sell for alot online. Must I even bring up Suikoden 2, Dragon Quest 3, or Earthbound? GBA games, although extinct, still can sell for $60+: Kirby Amazing Mirror and Super Mario 3. But this is last gen, Xenoblade is probably the most expensive Wii game I bought because I was stupid and didn't go out to buy it at release.

sethnintendo said:
Boutros said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncharted-2-Fortune-Hunter-Collectors-Edition-PS3-WOW-/200597843948

wow lol...  10k.  I suppose it is unfair to compare limited editions to regular releases.

I don't put any stock in seeing items listed on Ebay like that.  Your first 50 listings are free, and still less than a dollar just to list the item after that.  So, it basically doesn't cost anything to put an item on display at an astronomical amount.  What someone lists an item for doesn't make that it's value.  That's over 6 times the most that collector's edition has ever sold for, and more than 12 times the average it sells for as far as I know:

Current generation game consoles have a new "Most Expensive Game" and its for the Playstation 3: Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition. It has sold for as much as $1,526.

Back on October 16th 2009, Sony announced they were
giving away 200 special edition copies of Uncharted 2. They called it Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition.

The package includes the Uncharted 2 game, a guide book, an art book, and a replica knife.

Sony would give it away to 200 random people who played Uncharted 2 online October 17th and 18th. In late December the winners received their copies of this rare PS3 game and a few listed them on eBay.

The game quickly became the most expensive Playstation 3 game, and more expensive than any Wii or Xbox 360 game too. On
average Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter has sold for about $800."

Still a hefty price, of course.  But, I wouldn't include collector's edition for the simple fact that the collector isn't paying that amount to have the game itself.  He's paying for the collectables that come with it, and the limited quantity nature of the product.

Boutros said:
sethnintendo said:
Boutros said:
sethnintendo said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:
I came here to say Xenoblade lol. It goes for even higher on ebay.

Are you considering like limited edition bundles too? Those are probably the highest priced games.

There are some old DS games that are upward of $60 used.

Hmm I suppose you could throw in limited editions but not sure if that would be fair to compare a regular release with a limited edition copy.  I'd like to see the comparison though.  Not sure if any other game (even limited editions) top $120 used from the previous generation.  I like to know the "rare" expensive games that go way up in value. 

I still need to get this game which isn't that cheap... http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Emblem-Path-Radiance-GameCube/dp/B000AOEU2K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371824768&sr=8-4&keywords=fire+emblem

I got two Radiant Dawn copies for my birthday once instead of Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance.  I gave my extra copy to my cousin.  I better call his ass and make sure his dumb ass didn't trade it in or anything stupid.  He better of at least played the game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncharted-2-Fortune-Hunter-Collectors-Edition-PS3-WOW-/200597843948

wow lol...  10k.  I suppose it is unfair to compare limited editions to regular releases.

Yeah lol

thats a bargain here in Australia ;)

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
sethnintendo said:
KylieDog said:
sethnintendo said:

Xenoblade was not a regular release, it was limited run and Gamestop only.

Seems like I violated my own op then.  Was it a limited release in Europe also?  I believe it was in all shops in Europe right?  It was just limited to Gamestop in USA if I remember correctly.

Yeah, normal release in EU.  As far as I know not a limited run either, though is out of stock most places now.

Funny because Xenoblade sold more in USA compared to Europe.  So there are more copies of it available in USA.

North America: 0.39m 46.7%
Europe: 0.15m 18.5%

So there are more than double the amount of copies in USA available compared to Europe yet the limited release created such a demand that prices are 4 times higher for a used copy in USA than Europe.  Weird how this is the case.

Mandalore76 said:
sethnintendo said:
Boutros said:

I don't put any stock in seeing items listed on Ebay like that.  Your first 50 listings are free, and still less than a dollar just to list the item after that.  So, it basically doesn't cost anything to put an item on display at an astronomical amount.  What someone lists an item for doesn't make that it's value.  That's over 6 times the most that collector's edition has ever sold for, and more than 12 times the average it sells for as far as I know:

Current generation game consoles have a new "Most Expensive Game" and its for the Playstation 3: Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition. It has sold for as much as $1,526.

giving away 200 special edition copies of Uncharted 2. They called it Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition.

The package includes the Uncharted 2 game, a guide book, an art book, and a replica knife.

Sony would give it away to 200 random people who played Uncharted 2 online October 17th and 18th. In late December the winners received their copies of this rare PS3 game and a few listed them on eBay.

The game quickly became the most expensive Playstation 3 game, and more expensive than any Wii or Xbox 360 game too. On

Still a hefty price, of course.  But, I wouldn't include collector's edition for the simple fact that the collector isn't paying that amount to have the game itself.  He's paying for the collectables that come with it, and the limited quantity nature of the product.

Yea, I figured the price was inflated a lot over the real going price.  1.5k is still a huge price for a collectors edition though.  I agree that collectors editions shouldn't be compared to a regular edition since they will always be worth more.  It amazes me at some of the games people posted that aren't collectors editions that are in the 100-200 range used from this past generation. 

It's bound to be a game from Nintendo. New Super Mario Bros on the DS still sells for full price despite being 8 years old

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Mandalore76 said:
sethnintendo said:
Boutros said:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p2047675.l2564&rt=nc&item=200597843948

It is selling at that price nowadays...

That article you posted is from 2010.

sethnintendo said:

Yea, I figured the price was inflated a lot over the real going price.  1.5k is still a huge price for a collectors edition though.  I agree that collectors editions shouldn't be compared to a regular edition since they will always be worth more.  It amazes me at some of the games people posted that aren't collectors editions that are in the 100-200 range used from this past generation. 

Totally agree.  Going further back, it kills me the games that my younger brother lost (or his "friends" swiped) years ago like Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Lunar Silver Star Story, Lunar Eternal Blue.  Years later, I get stuck trying to buy them back used for as much as they were new or sometimes more so.  I know we had the first Suikoden.  I can't remember if we had Suikoden II or not.  In any event, that game goes for over $100 now.