By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Record Breaking Amazon Video Game Pre-Order Last Week

Madword said:
g911turbo said:
JoeFlex said:

That's the thing about statistics. If you don't give the numbers context and use a few leading sentences people may draw the wrong conclusion. Nevertheless, it seems like the industry is far from shrinking, as some have suggested. It's the latter part I am most interested in - the pre orders of the Wii U or sales of 360/PS3 during that period.

Bold 1: Exactly what is happening here.  This is Amazon PR spin to look favorable to customers, investors, etc.  Not to necessariliy promote the gaming industry.

Could shrink.  Way too early to tell, but it seems like the new consoles will be fine in the LONG run.   Even Wii U could rebound still.

Bold 2:  I bet the Wii U (not sure about that EXACT week) pre-orders were actually very good.  It wasn't till after it released that it started tanking...  A LOT were returned due to poor reselling ability and plenty on shelves.  I predict you might see some of that with the PS4 and Xbox one as well because your "break even" points are even higher on ebay.

If you sold an xbox one for $650 on ebay, you wouldn't make any money!

Hopefully the fools who were scalping the Wii-u have learnt their lessons and wont be trying to buy all the stock up... but i suspect not.

To most people, the returns are "free" (I argue not completely, since time = money).  So if you preorder from Walmart or Bestbuy or Gamestop.  You can return even if you physically pick up the preorder but cannot sell.  Amazon you would have to cancel ahead of time to avoid shipping fees back to them.

Either way, low risk.  But it's easy to buy / sell a system.  Hence everyone CAN do it.  And when everyone CAN do it, the scalper market becomes flooded driving down the ebay prices etc.  The most money will be made by ebay!

The most money to be made buying and selling comes with stuff that is hard to do or not that many people know about (or both).  Less [ignorant] competition driving your prices down.  Consoles are harder to buy and sell now than they used to be.  Finally, given the architectures of the Xone and PS4 are not as custom as they used to be, I don't think shortages will be as big an issue (think cell)

Around the Network
Viltsu300 said:
ethomaz said:
That's crazy and make the 75/45k from VGC really hard to believe.

Is that all sales for both consoles or just Amazon sales?

Could someone answer?

Viltsu300 said:
Viltsu300 said:
ethomaz said:
That's crazy and make the 75/45k from VGC really hard to believe.

Is that all sales for both consoles or just Amazon sales?

Could someone answer?

Amazon

g911turbo said:
theprof00 said:
2500 per minute for how many minutes?

LOL exactly.  Don't get me wrong, its nice to see the industry get some momentum with a new launch, but the quote is FILLED with so much PR talk it's not even funny.  2500 per minute is nothing if it was for 12 minutes lol.

As for the bold below, think aboutt that.  They are saying the pre orders for the new consoles were better than pre-orders for the already released consoles last year.  Unless that's a typo, thats a rediculous statement.  Of course they were better.  Let's hope so!

Finally, the last sentence after the bold is vague.  Per orders for systems?  Better than system sales for Black friday last year?  That would be SLIGHTLY impressive, but still, it's a new launch... or course.  New launch pre-orders > 7+ year old Black Friday performance.  Everyone calm the hell down.

"Last week, the Amazon Video Games store made history with its biggest pre-order week ever thanks to the launch of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. In fact, at the peak of demand last week, Amazon customers were pre-ordering more than 2,500 Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles per minute. In addition: · The E3 week PRE-ORDERS of the two wildly-anticipated gaming consoles brought a year-over-year increase in ORDERS of more than 4,000%, compared to consoles ordered during E3 week last year · Day-one PRE-ORDERS for the two consoles was nearly two times that of all video games SALES on Black Friday last year (2012)"

No confusion... I put in UPPERCASE the key words.... they compare PRE-ORDERS with ORDERS/SALES... E3 week PRE-ORDERS with last year sales.

Guys the PR compare PRE-ORDERS with last year ORDERS.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Yeah, it compares 1 week of e3 pre orders this year vs 1 week of e3 orders last year.  Of course the pre orders are going to win vs standard sales for one week in June.

ethomaz said:

Yea that's what the guys at GAF have been saying. Thanks for the response.

g911turbo said:
ethomaz said:

Yeah, it compares 1 week of e3 pre orders this year vs 1 week of e3 orders last year.  Of course the pre orders are going to win vs standard sales for one week in June.

Yeah... and even more when you compare with 7 years old consoles.

But 4,000% increase is crazy and good after all... it is like I sold 1k last year and preordered 41k this year... and I'm sure Amazon sell more than 1000 consoles units per week even in the slowest week of the year.

Another hint... day one preoders is almost twice the consoles sales in Black Friday last year.

ethomaz said:
g911turbo said:
ethomaz said:

Yeah... and even more when you compare with 7 years old consoles.

But 4,000% increase is crazy and good after all... it is like I sold 1k last year and preordered 41k this year... and I'm sure Amazon sell more than 1000 consoles units per week even in the slowest week of the year.

Another hint... day one preoders is almost twice the consoles sales in Black Friday last year.

Fair enough, I suppose an increase in sales is never really a BAD thing.  Just not that impressive as we both seem to agree.  I hope all the new systems do well - as a gamer we ALL really should.  More competition that is HEALTHY is a good thing.

Wow that's great and I expect the PS4 dominated most of those pre-orders. Still, even if they received 2,500 orders for 1 day, that would mean they received 3.6 million orders and that's extremely unlikely.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54