By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EAs Wii exclusives--The right idea?

Shane said:
Boogie, Playground, and MySims are for people in their 30s-40s?

No, they are not. On the other, hand Shrek isn't either, and I certainly did see more people in their 30s or 40s watching it than I saw kids or teens (OK, I did catch the midnight session of the subtitled original in a non english speaking country - but it was full, like 500 people full). Do we often have someone call any of those 500 folks "kiddies"? And do you think they'd like it if we did?

The truth is that something "kiddy", as long as it's smartly done, can appeal to all audiencies - kids, teens, adults and elderly people. Compare that with "mature" stuff that will mostly appeal to (young, male) adults, and some teens who'd like to think they're very mature.

And mark my words: MySims will appeal to a lot of grown up women, not just those in their 20s. Those are the same women that loved Animal Crossing (like Miyamoto's wife), plus more. And I say this, purely based on the sheer graphical might of the game.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

Yeah to me that lineup is awful: bunch of sports games, bunch of license games and a few Wii games that don't look that good (they might be fun). Still need some big epic 3rd party games on the Wii.

Edit: Medal of Honor doesn't count cause it sucks, lol had to say that all medal of honor games have sucked for a while now nothing against the Wii. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

My Sims looks like the big hit for EA on the list, followed by maybe Boogie, and if madden 08 has wi-fi support that could be good also

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

On my search for demographics on The Sims users (a study I read a couple of years ago which claimed 60% of the Sims userbase was made up of women over the age of 18) I found this: 

New York, NY - November 6, 2002

The first report titled, "Audience Benchmark: Adult Video Game Adoption, Cross-Ownership and Usage" finds that one in ten online adults owns a current generation console - either a Playstation2, Xbox or Nintendo Gamecube - and notes the prevalence of multiple and cross-device ownership. "Cross-ownership metrics are very revealing for game companies. They are vital to assessing the effectiveness of differentiation and upgrade strategies," said Gartenberg. The report also showed the broad appeal of low-intensity puzzle and board games among online adult users: 61% of those surveyed cited this as their favorite genre.

<a href="http://www.jupitermedia.com/corporate/releases/02.11.06-gamerep.html">link</a>

Certainly an old study, but what it demonstrates that most people can not seem to grasp is that (for the most part) "Mature" games are not games for adult gamers; they are games for male "young-adult" gamers. Knowing my father, he would probably enjoy a game like Civilization and I have gotten him to play Wii Sports (he enjoyed it a lot because he could play on even terms with everyone) and other reasonably simple games; I'm pretty sure he would never play a game like Halo and would comment that a game about a "Lesbian, vampire demonslayer with guns" was amazingly childish.

Would have to agree with HappySqurriel

Games about scantly clad young women/girls and tough guys going on killing rampages with ever bigger guns and explosives, bring feelings of bloodlust and specticle, does not really go or fit well with what is generally percieved as a mature/adult person male or female

It's more of a teenage fantasy to be the 'Hero' wiping out your enemies in masses of firepower and blood, something most teenage boys dream about at some point, but for adults not near as much as a rule

I think the "mature" labeling of games comes mainly from its age rating, and this age rating in artifically labeled 'mature' (the social defintion is the most comprehensive one) due to "legal reasons" because for legal reasons based on age, really young people are not to be exposed to open violence

Maturity indicates that a person responds to their circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner; often this implies a response that is reasoned or learned rather than impulsive, 'legal maturity' based on age does not take this into account.

And now it appears most gamers take an age based legal definition of 'maturity' over an all encompasing defintion of our social maturity

Around the Network
shams said:
Not sure if anyone else is, but Im really looking forward to the Harry Potter Wii title. If this is executed properly (i.e. no crap last the last few HP games), it could be a massive game. Gesture based spell casting should be awesome, and might actually work properly as well. And there should be a lot of HP hype around, with the last book out soon (and ending the series).

Indeed shams. The fact that you can actually use the Wii remote as a wand didn't hit me until a couple months ago. I basically creamed my pants LOL. I might actually buy this harry potter game for myself!

EA's lineup for the Wii is pretty awful, EA Playground just screams "Kiddy console."

I'm not interested in it but I'll tell you what I do know : I do know that the new Harry Potter game is supposed to be a "sandbox" type game with Hoggwart's school supposed to be fully explorable. There's even rumors it may utilize the upcoming Wii microphone, but considering the expected summer release date, it's unlikely. It's sad, I've been sitting here thinking of some great ideas for solid/respectable games for Wii, 1 or 2 of which may even impress Shane and Kwaad....... but is that possible? ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Godfather Blackhand features the best use of the Wii controls in any game yet. Choke someone with the mote n' chuck and see if you can't scream "AM I GONNA HAFTA CHOKE A BITCH!?" at the top of your lungs while doing it.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

They're throwing a lot of support behind a sure thing console. Sounds like they've got the right idea to me.

And I promise you they've got more games in the works. It's an inevitability. (why hasn't Spore been announced for the Wii yet?) 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.