By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do some people think 360 will outsell PS3?

The reason I think 360 has a chance to beat the PS3 is due to its incredible sales in America, and decent sales in Europe. PS3 will win in Europe (but not by much) and Japan, where sales are almost all Wii. In the end, PS3's victory in those territories won't make up for its awful American performance.

Around the Network

360 has a nice hold on the US market. The PS3 will pass it in all other territories by Summer 2008 but the US is still the most important. Also to the guy who posted above me. PS3 will be making money by march 2008. 360 is still not turning a profit due to the warranty that MS issued. 6 billion I think it was.

ikilledkenny said:
The reason I think 360 has a chance to beat the PS3 is due to its incredible sales in America, and decent sales in Europe. PS3 will win in Europe (but not by much) and Japan, where sales are almost all Wii. In the end, PS3's victory in those territories won't make up for its awful American performance.

PS3 51,000

360 81,000

For this week. I hardly call that "Awful". The PS3 doesn't even have its big games out yet and the 360 does. Right now 360 is king of America but the PS3 will shake it up a bit in late 2008. I don't know where you guys keep getting that the PS3 is doing horrible in America or anywhere else. Its still the most expensive console.

VGchartz says 360 outsold PS3 while other sites say PS3 outsold 360. Im not sure which but even if the 360 did outsell the PS3 thats bad news since PS3 has a crap load of games coming this year. The only big games Microsoft has (in terms of sales) is GTA4 and Gears 2 if it makes 2008. Im not sure if Alan Wake is a big game though.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

I'm going to quote myself from the other thread:

Sony shipped more PS3's in 2007.
MS sold more X360's in 2007.

Don't get it or still trying to debate it, find a brick wall and ram your head against it repeatedly.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

does "sold" account for all the broken ones that are replaced? I know of a few people have had up to 9 360's repaired. :) I thought everyone went by the shipped number as its real hard to track how many actually sold.

Overall I think PS3>360 by some margin but its still up for debate, thats for sure.

I could care less about 2007's numbers. 360 should win it because of its awesome lineup. 2008 will be all PS3.

7.1M gap as of Feb. 3rd, 2008 - that's why the 360 will win.

Here's the deal - folks are stuck in the past, thinking the PS3 is the PS2 ... it's not. Sony was rather arrogant about this gen - said 6 million folks would buy it without games in the first 6 months, right ... Lemme check ...

"We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games." - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves

And they are finally outselling the 360 after - 4 skus, 3 skus axed, two price cuts vs. MS's one measly stinkin' price cut. MS saw no need to get into the red to maintain the lead. Sure, folks are buying the PS3, but folks are still buying the 360 too. Japan is the only reason it's even close. If the numbers in Japan were equal, the 360 would be thumping the PS3 wholeheartedly. Even with the Japan numbers, the 360 is losing like 30K weekly - 120K per month, 1.4M yearly. However, that's with just one price cut. The U.S. is land of the cheap gamer - so Others is key. And all MS has to do is lower prices and stop the Sony surge.

The biggest thing - look at attach rates. Folks are buying the PS3 for playing Blu Rays. Look at the heavy hitters - several folks on here were saying 'When this comes out ... when this title hits ...' and the sales are flat as pancakes. Sure, a few titles are hitting their stride, but all you have to do is ... look at movie sales and see Blu Ray is really dominating HD DVD. Why? Folks are most interested in buying Blu Ray movies than gaming on the PS3. Sony is way more focused on winning the HD war than gaming. They still think they are the king - shoot, a year ago, that Sony exec said he'd pay folks if they send him pics of PS3s on shelves!

And lastly, folks love to quote how the PS3 is on par with the 360 launch. Sorry, but you couldn't find a 360 until late spring 2006. You could find a PS3 2 weeks after launch. Missed sales are missed sales. Why did the 360 do better than the Wii for a week or two? There were few Wiis available! The 360 benefitted from being the only next-gen player on the market. Now, with 3 consoles, the PS3 should have blown the 360 completely out of the water. It hasn't.

The biggest thing is - the price - and no real outstanding game experience over the 360. Yes, it has Blu Ray, but only the 360 add-on will upscales over component. If you don't have the equipment, you don't have a clear-cut advantage over the 360.

Brand and *being the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market* are driving sales. If gaming was driving it, I would expect to see a lot more sales than what I am seeing now ...

The cold hard reality is that the PS3 lost last year. They were losing so badly that they had to start ripping pieces out of their console, and slash the price by a third retroactively. One after another they lost exclusive titles. They had negative spin control their executives getting caught with either foot in mouth disease or flat out fabrications. While that might all by dismal enough the console had one other problem the game developers couldn't seem to make a deadline, or there was no intent to make them in the first place often leading to the mocking nickname delaystation.

Honestly no console last year was utter perfection, but when you watched the trials and tribulations of the PS3 it was like Sony was visited by the ten plagues of Egypt. You might see how its hard to imagine them having any chance of winning this generation let alone beating Microsoft. When you look at Microsoft its like looking at a competitor that is well rested. Your just sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop. Microsoft really didn't have to do anything to Sony last year. Think about it a fifty dollar price cut after being on the market a year longer.

I could understand being excited perhaps for the library you have every right to be having waited for well over a year for something fantastic to play that might justify paying so much more, but if anything last year proves that library just isn't that important for a massive amount of console sales. The same way that brand name doesn't seem to matter either.

Remember the Sony brand name hasn't stopped Nintendo from having their way with the market. Even in those markets where gasp Sony's brand name has the power to control mens minds, and if library was really so critical Nintendo surely wouldn't have done as well as it did, and Microsoft would be doing much better in Japan.

I suppose you could argue that Sony will have good advertising that might take the bad taste out of everyones mouths, but well lets face it their advertising has been rather disturbing at best, and offensive at worst. Further more Nintendo and Microsoft seem to at least understand the fundamentals of the concepts involved. Sony shows women having bowel movements. Nintendo shows families playing together. Microsoft is showing guys amped up on multiplayer mayhem. Which of the three is not appealing?

You can't be upset with others for paying attention to what went down. Nintendo and Microsoft laid a beating down on Sony the reigning champion, and they did this while making it look easy. Neither one of them should have had a chance according to popular opinion.

I wouldn't say Sony can't see a turn around, but that will have less to do with what they do now. More of it has to do with what the other two do. They are vulnerable on pricing, developer support, exclusivity, and manufacturing. The only question is what are the plans of both Microsoft and Nintendo for this year. I wouldn't get overly confident yet. Not by a long shot. The release lists are too vague alone let alone all the other things that will determine this year.