By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC vs. Consoles - Cost and power comparison

0815user said:
i mainly buy consoles because of jrpgs. ps3 was a little bit of a disappointment regarding that but let's see what happens with ps4. as for a pc, so far i can't see that jrpg developers care much about releasing their new games on pc. as long this is a given i don't care about the fact that the pc gaming experience is severely better than the console experience. to buy a high end pc i need games that are worth it. And shooters or mmorpgs for example are not.

Your point of PC experience is better than consoles is wrong in every way and for every game. Playstation provides unique IP's and differnet gameplay experiences which is not there in PC and also the cost is very high so not many will purchase this and also the drivers in PC give many issues which is not possible to solve by non techie people. I'd say Console provides better experience than PC's in Gaming in most ways and reaches many people unlike PC.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network
biglittlesps said:

Your point of PC experience is better than consoles is wrong in every way and for every game. Playstation provides unique IP's and differnet gameplay experiences which is not there in PC

That's subjective.
You make it sound as if the PC has no unique exclusive games that aren't available on console.

Everyone has different tastes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

m0ney said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
There's no way you can get a PS4 level PC for the same price as a PS4.  There so much extra stuff that needs to be in a PC that doesn't need to be in the PS4.  The OS alone adds significant cost.  PS4 is probably sold at a loss, too.

CPU - 100

GPU - 150

Mobo - 50

RAM - 50

Case - 50

= 400

There you go.

OS can be easily *borrowed*.

So, by your moral compass, I'll just walk into a store and *borrow* a PS4.  Now against your $400 hardware, PS4 is free! Pffft, paying for stuff, you PC builders are a bunch of suckas!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pemalite said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Aah ok i see. Still with high speed DDR4 we should get bandwidth close to that of the Xbox One, and rumours suggest that amd's next high end APU would be 4 core cpu with an IGP of HD7790 level.

Nah. DDR4 won't be much better than high-end DDR3, at-least initially and only in terms of bandwidth.
It certainly won't be cheaper for many years.

I mean, we didn't exactly get DDR3 2400mhz kits on the day the standard was released, it took years for memory speeds to creep that high, the same will hold true for DDR4.

Besides, outside of APU's CPU's generally don't benefit much from faster Ram, compare a Phenom 2 x6 with DDR2 against DDR3, the performance increase is almost non-existent.
Or compare Dual-Channel against Quad Channel on the socket 2011 platform, most real world applications won't see any benefit.

It's the graphics that is memory hungry unfortunatly, Sideport or EDRAM/ESRAM is one way to get around it or AMD could go Quad-Channel on it's APU line, but that would require more PCB layers and traces which would drive up costs substantually on a very cost-sensitive piece of hardware.

Yeah memory bandwidth is important to APU's but that's what you will have to get if you want something that you can compare to a XOne/PS4. Also DDR3 can be pretty fast, they use it on graphics cards like the HD7750 with a peak bandwidth of 72 gbps. But i guess they can't achieve those speeds with bigger memory banks.

catofellow said:

How much would it cost to build or buy factory built a PC that was comparable in power to the PS4?

CPU: AMD A10-5800 - $130
Mobo: MSI-FM2-A55M - $45
GPU: Sapphire HD 6670 - $50
HDD: 500 GB Toshiba - $50
PSU: SeaSonic SS-300ES - $38
RAM: 4 GB 1866 DDR3 Crucial Ballastix - $36
Case: Gigabyte GZ-F5HEB - $22
Controller: ~$50

Total - ~$521

Faster CPU but fewer cores.
Less RAM but faster for general computing.
No disk drive required (but listed below).

Blu-Ray: LG 12x BD-ROM - $40

If you already own a PC, chances are good you could exceed the performance of the PS4 for under $200 in upgrades.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

It is not possible at the ps3's price point. Consoles exist for various reasons and the most important of those is providing performance at heavily discounted prices

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

m0ney said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
There's no way you can get a PS4 level PC for the same price as a PS4.  There so much extra stuff that needs to be in a PC that doesn't need to be in the PS4.  The OS alone adds significant cost.  PS4 is probably sold at a loss, too.

CPU - 100

GPU - 150

Mobo - 50

RAM - 50

Case - 50

= 400

There you go.

OS can be easily *borrowed*.

Okay, you just have to

- steal the OS
- forget the HDD
- don't care about BluRay
- and just forget any sort of input devices.

There you go!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Pristine20 said:
It is not possible at the ps3's price point. Consoles exist for various reasons and the most important of those is providing performance at heavily discounted prices

Actually. If we are to compare it...
The PS4 price will be $550 AUD.
For roughly $600 AUD you can build a respectible gaming machine:
http://i.imgur.com/EHUuLXd.png

Hook it up to your TV and BANG.

Think of the extra $50 as a fee for online access for forever.
You can go cheaper than that if you shop around of course, I was just lazy and couldn't be bothered. (It's from PC Case gear.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I am willing to take a bet here:

You can't build a PC for $400 that

a) is just as powerful as the PS4
b) will play the latest games in medium / high settings in 2016

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

m0ney said:
Turkish said:
Good, now you know you cant build a comparable pc for 400 bucks.

Are you kidding my 4 year old pc with updated videocard puts out twice more teraflops than the next gen consoles behhehe I love consoles just saying.

that is more like updating your pc. Builiding a pc from scratch for 400$ wont match the performance of the ps4 period.