By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Much Microsoft Bad Decisions Damaged Xbone Until Now?

we are still 5 months away from launch. this can change A LOT in those 5 months. i know its said a lot. but its too early

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
we are still 5 months away from launch. this can change A LOT in those 5 months. i know its said a lot. but its too early

I agree and I think MS too because their decison was done really fast... they are trying to fix everything soon.

People seem rather upset by the removal of the family share system. MS can't catch a break.

ethomaz said:
adriane23 said:
In the long run, I don't think there will be significant damage. They were smart enough to stop the direction they were going after so much backlash early, so by the time their console launches, all this stuff will be a thing of the past.

Some things are still bad (the price, Kinect required, mandatory installs, non-replaceable HDD), but it seems like they're trying to change what they can to keep from tanking before they even launch.

Well the bolded part is true for PS4 too... the BD drive can't hold all the data transfer for this new generation... the HDD stuff is really bad for guys like me that put a SSD in PS3 and will do again with PS4.

Got a link to back that up?

Panama said:
People seem rather upset by the removal of the family share system. MS can't catch a break.

I think that's the minority in game's forums... the articles, analysts and overall consense is that MS make a good decision.

Now we need to see how the consumrer reacts... if the preorders increase then the results are really good.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
adriane23 said:
In the long run, I don't think there will be significant damage. They were smart enough to stop the direction they were going after so much backlash early, so by the time their console launches, all this stuff will be a thing of the past.

Some things are still bad (the price, Kinect required, mandatory installs, non-replaceable HDD), but it seems like they're trying to change what they can to keep from tanking before they even launch.

Well the bolded part is true for PS4 too... the BD drive can't hold all the data transfer for this new generation... the HDD stuff is really bad for guys like me that put a SSD in PS3 and will do again with PS4.

It's not a mandatory full game install though, so it's the same as the PS3. Or is it?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

JerCotter7 said:

Got a link to back that up?

I think everybody missed that at E3 because it is the third time today that somebody asked me that

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5456454

Both Xbone and PS4 have mandatory install but you won't see they doing that... it all in backgound.

Edit - Wrong link... fixed.

lol sorry guys... wrong link.

About mandatory install...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5456454

Quote:
Similar to the Xbox One, a 500GB hard drive has been chosen for internal storage - not exactly surprising bearing in mind that these units currently offer the best value in terms of gigs per £/$. However, the difference is that as with the PlayStation 3 the unit can be replaced with any hard drive of your choosing (and presumably that includes SSDs too). There's a point of deviation with Xbox One here, as the hard drive in the Microsoft console is not user-replaceable. Here, the additional USB ports are used for external devices that boost overall system storage capacity. Bearing in mind that the Blu-ray drive on both systems gives up to 50GB of potential storage for games and that installation is mandatory on both consoles, that hard drive could fill up very, very quickly.

We also have final confirmation on the optical drive utilised - a 6x CAV Blu-ray unit. CAV stands for Constant Angular Velocity, meaning that the disc spins at the same rate no matter where the reading head is. This means that data contained on the outer edge of the disc is read in much faster than that contained on the inner portion. This was much more of a big deal for current-gen games (which mostly run from disc) as opposed to next-gen where hard drive install is mandatory. In order to make the experience as friction-free as possible, games will load the absolute minimum and then "stealth install" the remainder onto the hard drive in the background as you play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-details-final-ps4-spec

I agree that consumers will forget. But what has happened during the past few days will give Sony a "head start." As long as they capitalize on this and keep capitalizing on what they might gain in the longer run, this Microsoft fiasco wouldn't have mattered. Besides, didn't Microsoft said something along the lines of not competing with Sony this time around? I think all of these console makers are in denial.

Panama said:

No product is going to please everyone.  And Microsoft just changed their product.