By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Much Microsoft Bad Decisions Damaged Xbone Until Now?

ethomaz said:

lol sorry guys... wrong link.

About mandatory install...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5456454

Quote:
Similar to the Xbox One, a 500GB hard drive has been chosen for internal storage - not exactly surprising bearing in mind that these units currently offer the best value in terms of gigs per £/$. However, the difference is that as with the PlayStation 3 the unit can be replaced with any hard drive of your choosing (and presumably that includes SSDs too). There's a point of deviation with Xbox One here, as the hard drive in the Microsoft console is not user-replaceable. Here, the additional USB ports are used for external devices that boost overall system storage capacity. Bearing in mind that the Blu-ray drive on both systems gives up to 50GB of potential storage for games and that installation is mandatory on both consoles, that hard drive could fill up very, very quickly.

We also have final confirmation on the optical drive utilised - a 6x CAV Blu-ray unit. CAV stands for Constant Angular Velocity, meaning that the disc spins at the same rate no matter where the reading head is. This means that data contained on the outer edge of the disc is read in much faster than that contained on the inner portion. This was much more of a big deal for current-gen games (which mostly run from disc) as opposed to next-gen where hard drive install is mandatory. In order to make the experience as friction-free as possible, games will load the absolute minimum and then "stealth install" the remainder onto the hard drive in the background as you play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-details-final-ps4-spec

Just speaking for myself, mandatory installs never bothered me.

Around the Network

LivingMetal said:

Just speaking for myself, mandatory installs never bother me.

Even using a better BD read speed is not enough to transfers all the data needed to the new next-gen games... before you need just to transfers 512MB of data to use but now we have 8GB of memory to use in seconds... the data needs to go from the dics way fast than before and the HDD is the best option for that.

I don't really know. We still have a pretty long time until launch and alot left to be shown by both parties. I think it will depend on how much hype they can build over the next few months.

That's kind of shit. Wanted to upgrade to an SSD. Can't now unless I get a 512GB which is a ridiculous price. And I need one for my PC as well.

The damage is done by ms, how do we know that ms won't go back this drm next yead

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

LivingMetal said:

Just speaking for myself, mandatory installs never bother me.

Even using a better BD read speed is not enough to transfers all the data needed to the new next-gen games... before you need just to transfers 512MB of data to use but now we have 8GB of memory to use in seconds... the data needs to go from the dics way fast than before and the HDD is the best option for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always recalled the HDD to have a faster transfer rate that any optical disc drive during its marketable lifecycle.  This is why I never minded a mandatory instally if it helped improve the performance of my games.  Again, I'm only speaking for myself.  I wasn't too thrilled about it when first encountered on the PS3, but I now install when possible even when optional.

I have a question. Slightly off topic. So now discs run directly from the console, what does this mean for Microsoft and Sony with respect to royalties? Is the situation any different from the setup they had before with the instal? (payments or avoiding it rather). If you find me ignorant, then by all means enlighten me. Thank you in advance.

If Sony can do it with the PS3. MS should be able to do the same with the X1.

Edit: I meant with recovering consumer trust from the gaming community. Its all about games in the end.

JoeFlex said:
I have a question. Slightly off topic. So now discs run directly from the console, what does this mean for Microsoft and Sony with respect to royalties? Is the situation any different from the setup they had before with the instal? (payments or avoiding it rather). If you find me ignorant, then by all means enlighten me. Thank you in advance.

I'm sure someone else can explain in better detail.  I do know that Sony plays a major part in the Blu-Ray Disc Association (BDA).  If Sony owns part of the Blu-Ray technology, Sony gets a small cut from all media sales.  Vague, I know.  Could someone else plesse shed more light on this?

A console costing $100 more expensive, without showing anything but a superior camera bundled with it, is no assurance of generating sales.