By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft lost another war against Sony after HD DVD fiasco

fordy said:
papamudd said:
fordy said:
papamudd said:

3. Linux removal was because of geohot and similar users abusing that feature, and is why there are still a plethora of cfw available for the ps3. If it werent for the Initial abusers of this feature that enabled the ability for pirating games and hacking games it wouldn't have been removed.

Wow, GeoHotz must have wrecked that security good, huh? And it got to the point where Sony were helpless to do anything but to remove it? Are you shitting me here?

Could you imagine Microsoft discontinuing Windows support once somebody found a vulnerability in the Operating system, or MySQL or PHP being discontinued after their last major security exploit? No, neither could I, which is why I don't buy Sony's story that they had no other choice BUT to remove it...

Your making a lot of assumptions there and not taking note of the following point the other OS removal was optional not mandatory...

Furthermore i am not defending the removal nor promoting it... People were saying it was removed with out user consent which is not true, and that it was removed because no one used it which is also untrue... Sure sony could have left the other Os feature enabled and disabled online gaming, but they could not of directly affected what people could do with the other os feature. Still not saying it was the right choice as i didnt get to enjoy the other os feature but had planned on using it, and did think about agreeing to its removal before installing the update.

Sure, the removal was optional, but how did one's online capability go if you refused to remove it? That's like saying you have the option to get your teeth smashed in with a hammer, or your fingernails pulled out with pliers. you still have a choice, right?

The other thing they could have done (like any other company does when they find a security vulnerability) is FIX IT, not just remove support altogether. Their reasoning stems from the fact that they'd have to invest in a feature that was giving them no forseeable return, and used the hacking news as a legitimate reason to drop support.

Are you disregarding the follow up pointz on purpose? Sony had no control over whatever os was installed so effectively they could not plug that hole at all with out removing or disabling online play ability. Obviously they chose too remove it alltogether, but the other os was not left with the capability to create player run servers for online play. One could have.said no and created or joined a ps3 server for other OS. It jsut wouldn't have been supported by Sony. So again while maybe not the best choice, it was their choice and the users choice to agree to such terms.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Around the Network
papamudd said:
fordy said:

Sure, the removal was optional, but how did one's online capability go if you refused to remove it? That's like saying you have the option to get your teeth smashed in with a hammer, or your fingernails pulled out with pliers. you still have a choice, right?

The other thing they could have done (like any other company does when they find a security vulnerability) is FIX IT, not just remove support altogether. Their reasoning stems from the fact that they'd have to invest in a feature that was giving them no forseeable return, and used the hacking news as a legitimate reason to drop support.

Are you disregarding the follow up pointz on purpose? Sony had no control over whatever os was installed so effectively they could not plug that hole at all with out removing or disabling online play ability. Obviously they chose too remove it alltogether, but the other os was not left with the capability to create player run servers for online play. One could have.said no and created or joined a ps3 server for other OS. It jsut wouldn't have been supported by Sony. So again while maybe not the best choice, it was their choice and the users choice to agree to such terms.

I made this point HUNDREDS of times before, and it's that the problem does not come from Linux itself, rather that Sony failed to produce a secure VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT in which a generic OS could interact with hardware through a regulated abstraction layer through to the hardware. Don't tell it that Sony was helpless, and that nothing can be done, when the whole business sector is BUILT upon Virtualisation of their systems. Why aren't we hearing numerous reports of VM software compromising hardware in large corporate setups? Because if it's done RIGHT, then it DOES work.

I've asked this question many times before. If Sony decided to remove something that would have mattered to a LOT of users (such as BluRay video playback), and gave you the choice of that, or being able to log into PSN, would you say that's fine, since they're giving you the choice?

fordy said:
LivingMetal said:
fordy said:

You're painting an incredibly simplified scenario. Let me add some points:

1. At the time of WB switching support, HD-DVD WAS the dominant of the two formats (though still an incredibly small amount compared to DVD), both in media sales AND standalone device sales. If WB decided to just suddenly pick and choose ONE format (whereas other companies were indifferent with supporting both formats), the market factors would have pointed towards HD-DVD.

2. And WHY did WB decide to not support both formats in an emerging market, like other studios? They struck a deal with Sony for lower royalties and licensing fees and in exchange for exclusitivity. 

You really don't think that WB just suddenly decided to suddenly support the market trailing one of the two emerging formats for no reason, did you? But what can I expect from the same guy who was openly touting about eviscerating somebody who outlined a security flaw in Sony's system? Yes, I remember you...

1. HD-DVD WAS the dominant format.  Not true.  More studios including WB were supporting Blu-Ray.

2. If WB could have afforded to support two formats then they would have.  But they didn't because the people weren't buying it regardless of any contracts.  Giving you the benefit of the doubt, the contracts just made it sweeter.

And I remember you, too.  Always hating.  :)

Read the reply again. I said HD-DVD was the dominant format in SALES (ie. The things that CONSUMERS have control of), not support. And of course BluRay would have more studio support, after all, HD-DVD was from a pure electronics company and BluRay was from an electronics/media conglomerate. They can use their own marketshare in one market to affect other markets. That's like saying that McDonalds has a bigger lunch menu than IBM.

You're talking about affordability for WB, then READ MY INITIAL reply, in which I explicity stated that HD-DVD was a LOT cheaper in both initial capital and cost to produce media per disc. If cost was an issue to WB, they would have went with HD-DVD. Your statement is false. HD-DVD sales at the time of the announcement were above BluRay sales, but BluRay was VERY slowly catching up (although it was something in the realm of 56% of WBs HD-DVD sales when the announcement was dropped, if I remember correctly). 

If you truly do remember me, then you'd remember that it was me defending somebody who did no wrong against the crowd of haters (including you) demanding this person's head on a pike. Who's the hater, again?

I own you an apology.  I was wrong.  It wasn't 2005.  It was 2007 when WB saw decline in sales and later announced to go Blu-ray exclusively:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/warner-goes-blu-ray-exclusive/

Oh, and here are some pie graphs on Blu-Ray to HD-DVD sales:

http://www.avtruths.com/hdmarketshare.html

Again, I was wrong.  Still hate me?

LivingMetal said:
fordy said:
LivingMetal said:
fordy said:

1. At the time of WB switching support, HD-DVD WAS the dominant of the two formats (though still an incredibly small amount compared to DVD), both in media sales AND standalone device sales. If WB decided to just suddenly pick and choose ONE format (whereas other companies were indifferent with supporting both formats), the market factors would have pointed towards HD-DVD.

2. And WHY did WB decide to not support both formats in an emerging market, like other studios? They struck a deal with Sony for lower royalties and licensing fees and in exchange for exclusitivity. 

You really don't think that WB just suddenly decided to suddenly support the market trailing one of the two emerging formats for no reason, did you? But what can I expect from the same guy who was openly touting about eviscerating somebody who outlined a security flaw in Sony's system? Yes, I remember you...

1. HD-DVD WAS the dominant format.  Not true.  More studios including WB were supporting Blu-Ray.

2. If WB could have afforded to support two formats then they would have.  But they didn't because the people weren't buying it regardless of any contracts.  Giving you the benefit of the doubt, the contracts just made it sweeter.

Read the reply again. I said HD-DVD was the dominant format in SALES (ie. The things that CONSUMERS have control of), not support. And of course BluRay would have more studio support, after all, HD-DVD was from a pure electronics company and BluRay was from an electronics/media conglomerate. They can use their own marketshare in one market to affect other markets. That's like saying that McDonalds has a bigger lunch menu than IBM.

You're talking about affordability for WB, then READ MY INITIAL reply, in which I explicity stated that HD-DVD was a LOT cheaper in both initial capital and cost to produce media per disc. If cost was an issue to WB, they would have went with HD-DVD. Your statement is false. HD-DVD sales at the time of the announcement were above BluRay sales, but BluRay was VERY slowly catching up (although it was something in the realm of 56% of WBs HD-DVD sales when the announcement was dropped, if I remember correctly). 

If you truly do remember me, then you'd remember that it was me defending somebody who did no wrong against the crowd of haters (including you) demanding this person's head on a pike. Who's the hater, again?

I own you an apology.  I was wrong.  It wasn't 2005.  It was 2007 when WB saw decline in sales and later announced to go Blu-ray exclusively:

Considering that the pie graphs rely on ALL sales (including Sony itself), and we're talking about only WB's marketshare, then you'll agree that those graphs don't answer anything at all, other than the fact that the OTHER exclusive BluRay manufacturers at the time (such as Disney) were selling fine.

fordy said:
LivingMetal said:
fordy said:
LivingMetal said:
fordy said:

Considering that the pie graphs rely on ALL sales (including Sony itself), and we're talking about only WB's marketshare, then you'll agree that those graphs don't answer anything at all, other than the fact that the OTHER exclusive BluRay manufacturers at the time (such as Disney) were selling fine.

Have a VERY nice night.

Around the Network

@fordy... Thread getting long for quotes.. Can't edit easily on my phone.. First off i do appreciate the conversation as you do more so come off as an intelligent user rather than a fan boy and i do greatly appreciate it as it is to rare these days. Now on to other points.
1 i want to restate that i dont agree or disagree with what happened, but my initial post was to refute a couple key points from some misinformed users on both sides said things that were just incorrect... The removal was not Mandatory nor with out consent of the user. It was not removed Because no one used it.
2. Those were the 2 main points i was trying to make as there seemed be be major misconceptions about it from sony and ms fans...
3. I cannot pretend to know the intricacies about the ps3 format, but i will assume, and reasonably, that they could have improved the integrity of the system by blocking access to certain things. However, i like to play devils advocate and perhaps they just chose the cheapest and easiest option as they were not in the most beneficial position at the time so they probably took the cheapest / easiest choice for the company at the time rather than spending money to protect the majority of users over the few which to them was mostly jsut taking advantage. I think other things could of been done, of course and you provided a great example. However what is done is done and while i may not agree with it i can understand the position.

If this is somehow become an ms vs sony convo relating drm to other os i think this not a reasonable comparison by any means even though the reasoning behind both decisions is absolutely related to financial reasons.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

I think the bigger question is... can we trust the OP?

By the way, Sony just lost a war against M$ at this past E3 too... charging to play online. Of course, Sony tried their best to sneak it past Sony fans as best they could by tucking it in there with a bunch of other "good" features about PSN+. In fact, Sony fans were still insisting that online gaming on the PS4 was in fact still free because they were too busy high-fiving each other over finally having a console that wasn't the most expensive of its gen at launch to notice that online isn't going to be free anymore.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

papamudd said:
@fordy... Thread getting long for quotes.. Can't edit easily on my phone.. First off i do appreciate the conversation as you do more so come off as an intelligent user rather than a fan boy and i do greatly appreciate it as it is to rare these days. Now on to other points.
1 i want to restate that i dont agree or disagree with what happened, but my initial post was to refute a couple key points from some misinformed users on both sides said things that were just incorrect... The removal was not Mandatory nor with out consent of the user. It was not removed Because no one used it.
2. Those were the 2 main points i was trying to make as there seemed be be major misconceptions about it from sony and ms fans...
3. I cannot pretend to know the intricacies about the ps3 format, but i will assume, and reasonably, that they could have improved the integrity of the system by blocking access to certain things. However, i like to play devils advocate and perhaps they just chose the cheapest and easiest option as they were not in the most beneficial position at the time so they probably took the cheapest / easiest choice for the company at the time rather than spending money to protect the majority of users over the few which to them was mostly jsut taking advantage. I think other things could of been done, of course and you provided a great example. However what is done is done and while i may not agree with it i can understand the position.

If this is somehow become an ms vs sony convo relating drm to other os i think this not a reasonable comparison by any means even though the reasoning behind both decisions is absolutely related to financial reasons.

That's fine. I notice that people are trying to argue my points with stuff that Microsoft did, like they're going to expect me to stand up for them, too. A lot get shocked when I say that I don't fully side with any company, mainly because I know that the only thing in common with all three is their desire to make as much profit as possible, along with every other business in history. This is why it sickens me when I see some people who think that their side can do no wrong. 

My critcism comes from when one of these companies annoucnes something that does not logically make sense. For instance, when Sony announced that the only way to fix the OtherOS problem was to remove it, my experience in the Software Engineering industry had me immediately question this claim, and consider what would the correct reasoning be for such a move. Thinking from a corporate mindset (and in particular, Sony's predicament), it would have been easy to see that the cheapest solution out of this was to drop support altogether. A fix to the VM itself would have indeed re-secured systems if deployed correctly, so any claims that it would have put PSN in jeopardy would not have made any sense, considering also that Sony still has ultimate control over it's cloud network. As I mentioned int he last post, the OtherOS became a situation of "high investment for little gain" and, given the most likely low usage for the function, decided to remove it on the basis that consoles still with it could no longer access PSN.

I blame the OP. It came off as rather agressive, that Microsoft did this massive backpedal like with HD-DVD (even though Microsoft didn't really put much console support into it, otherwise the Xbox360 would have had a HD-DVD re-release before the PS3 could get a foothold). My initial response was to people who thought that Sony was the industry savior,w hen I was highlighting that, even though they may have had a more reasonable consumer thought in mind, they still had a legitimate agenda for trumping this negativity up...

MS does what "everyone" wanted and you spin it into a war against Sony? Are you the kind of person who went online to twitter and complained about an online device whilst using an always connected device?

freedomland said:

Nobody demanded Linux, Nobody missed Linux and Sony didn't create Hype about it but policies are another thing, you are saying something else and doing something else mean while stabing in the back of fanbase.

Exactly. But where the f*** does MS fit into this? They never "did" DRM policies since the XBOX One isn't even released. They listened to their fans, which is more that can be said of the rest of the industry, and took out the plans for DRM.

Here's a little insight kid. You don't ever "trust" a company, they are all the same: out to get your buck. It's fine to like a product that a company releases but don't get all baby-momma-drama defensive over a company (any company, which is all companies) that doesn't give a shit about people unless they have money to buy their product. They don't care about you, just your dollar. Now be a doll and leave your drama at the door next time.