By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: All These Sequels Don't Mean We're 'Playing It Safe'

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-all-these-sequels-dont-mean-were-playing-i-514267102

Miyamoto: "To me the question really comes down to: What is new IP and, by definition, what is a new game? And I think there's a lack of understanding about the difference between the two."

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network

I agree with Miyamoto, but also Miyamoto you need to understand that a new IP has a value that a new game with the same IP doesn't present.

Sorry brah.

Yeah, it actually kind of does.

New Ips aren't always good. Look at Ryse for the Xbox One. Game looks awesome, but it's a fricking QTE party. Titanfall looks cool as well, but it's yet another FPS game. Games like Knack do show that new IPs can work though.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I don't need to read to say: yes, you do Miyamoto

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network

Nintendo sequels often have far more creativity than new IPs.

Frankly, people who wouldn't buy the WiiU anyway are the ones that demand for a new IP.

It is playing it safe. I'm not complaining though.

morenoingrato said:
Nintendo sequels often have far more creativity than new IPs.

Frankly, people who wouldn't buy the WiiU anyway are the ones that demand for a new IP.

In terms of game mechanics, this is true.

I don't think that's really a fair assessment of people who want new IPs, though. Some people, sure, but others really do want to see Nintendo stop being such a Mario factory and make new IPs again.

I agree with him. Sony is known for taking other peoples IP's changing a few things and calling it a new experience. See PS all Stars, Uncharted, LBP, Modnation, or any other IP they have come up with last gen, its all just copies of what some other company did first.
The same people crying over 3 similar Marios between ds,Wii and Wii U are foaming at the mouth for part 5 or 6 of series on their console of choice so their argument usually ends up not being valid in the end.
When Nintendo does make a new IP it is ignored by the people asking for it. I can think of 5 from last gen but if I named then, the excuses would begin.

Opinion: Never settle for a remake. No matter how good a game "was," or how powerful the nostalgia goggles were, you have learned things since then, hardware has improved, and you can make the original better.

So, yes, Nintendo is playing things safe. They're changing up gameplay and controls, and not actually toying with the fundamentals of the IP. Last time they took a chance--Other M--it didn't work so good. I wish they would be a bit more assertive with their IP, but they do "enough." The Wii U hardware alone was a bigger risk than any other console of this or last generation, and you don't survive in this market by doing two risky things back to back.