By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Sonic at the Olympics Huge Success: What's Next?

Sega will realize it's awesomeness and release a new console, Segaaaaaaaadomination in 2011!

j/k.

Probably just the sequel, lol. 

Around the Network

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2

I don't think Sonic will show up in Mario sports, party or RPG games.

Probably a Winter Olympics game, assuming SEGA keeps the Olympics rights, which they should due to M&S's success.

I'm not expecting much else though. Sonic is getting his own Tennis game and his own RPG, and Mario sports and RPG games already sell great, so Mario/Sonic sports games or RPGs seem unlikely. And Mario Party CLEARLY doesn't need Sonic to sell well.

A tag-team style 2D platformer could be awesome, but I don't really expect that either.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
I don't think Sonic will show up in Mario sports, party or RPG games.

Probably a Winter Olympics game, assuming SEGA keeps the Olympics rights, which they should due to M&S's success.

I'm not expecting much else though. Sonic is getting his own Tennis game and his own RPG, and Mario sports and RPG games already sell great, so Mario/Sonic sports games or RPGs seem unlikely. And Mario Party CLEARLY doesn't need Sonic to sell well.

A tag-team style 2D platformer could be awesome, but I don't really expect that either.

Yeah, I agree.  I think Sega won't try to team up with Mario anymore but they will instead try and make sonic mario... again.

By that i mean you'll basically see Sega make more games like Sonic tennis.  A "Sonic Party" type game etc.

Basically they'll try and do the same things Nintendo did with Mario and up getting screwed because the nintendo games are going to be better quality wise.

They would be wiser to target demographics Nintendo doesn't go after.  Which would mean giving sonic a back seat.

Mario and Sonic Party
Mario and Sonic vs Bowser and Eggman
Mario and Sonic RPG

Around the Network
Kyros said:
"and will we see the revival of Sonic on the Wii? Discuss. "

No we won't? Sega developed games still suck and Sonic's Olympic tortures is no exception. Being in Brawl doesn't help the character either if the company who owns it cannot make a good game if its live depended on it.

A revival has nothing to do with quality, but success which is determined by sales.  Majority of sales is based off a popular brandname anyways, not quality.  We can all agree that by Sonic sharing 50% of the Mario and Sonic game and by being in Brawl that on Nintendo platforms his brandname has just been heightened.  

Meaning its almost guaranteed that the Sonic brandname will be revived, but will Sega followup with some big Sonic games on Wii/DS.  Already doing one with Sonic RPG on DS.  But what else.

Personally I think we'll see a Mario and Sonic platformer where the worlds collide. Although i know Nintendo already said this wasn't going to happen, money talks.

I also think Sonic may make some more appearances in Mario games. Possibly even Mario Kart Wii. Who knows.

And finally there will be some Sonic games coming to the Wii. We are definetly going to see another Sonic platformer game, but I think we might even see a Sonic RPG, or Sonic Adventure series on the Wii.

Please give us a proper Sonic Adventure-esque platforming game! Secret Rings wasn't bad, but I was put off by the controls!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Sega *are* developing Olympics games for the 360/PS3.

Be interesting to see how much success is related to the license... or the console... or the teaming with Nintendo.

If those games do well, Sega may have a new focus.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@shams

imagine all these new games SEGA makes become huge 2 million + sellere n stuff like that

BY nex-gen will there be CHANCE that a NEW Sega Console will come....

Is this the resurrection of SEGA as we know it....are these steps done by SEGA to fund a new console

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey