By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS: Holding The New PS4 Controller Is Like Touching Boob For The First Time

From GAF lol.

Quote:
It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?

You’re a good controller, you sexy thing, you.

The triggers are likewise more comfortable, curving slightly inward to hold your finger. The buttons and D-pad likely have some subtle distinctions between the Dual Shock 4 and the previous PlayStation 3 controllers, but I couldn’t tell much of a difference. The controller comes with rumble, standard, so we don’t have to suffer through Sony claiming that force feedback is a “last-gen” feature because it doesn’t want to pay to license it.
Quote:
The analog sticks have a cupped design and a firmer feel; I never had the sense my thumb was going to slide off. I was able to try a hands-on demo of the upcoming Playstation 4 Killzone title, and in that game you swipe the touchpad to switch between different secondary powers. The action felt accessible and effective, and you can click down on the pad as well, just as you would the touchpad on your laptop.
Quote:
So that's the breakdown of things, but everything taken as a whole has created a controller that feels almost stupidly great in my hands.

More at the link:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-playstation-4-conroller-is-just-slightly-better-than-the-best-thing-eve

Around the Network

Jeff Cannata: “PS4 controller is far better than the Xbox One controller”

Quote:
Let me say this, the controller for the PS4 is sublime, far better than the Xbox One controller. I’m a little disappointed to be honest with the Xbox One controller. The bumper buttons in particular are actually more difficult to hit with my fingers than they used to be on the 360. I find it to be smaller and much more cramped and the triggers don’t feel as good.”

“The triggers on the PS4 controller are awesome! It’s super cool. It just feels so comfortable in the hand, the bumpers are nice, the triggers are SO nice, it’s got rumble on two sides, it is just a great controller.” 

http://www.psmania.net/2013/06/jeff-cannata-says-the-ps4-controller-is-far-better-than-the-xbox-one-controller/

Polygon: PS4 controller is shooter's best friend

Quote:
Consoles live and die by the ergonomics of their controllers, and the manner in which developers utilize those controllers for launch titles. That's what Blacklight's aiming to be: a launch title for the PS4, though it may take a few months longer than that to finish the port, Zombie Studios communications manager Collin Moore told Polygon during an E3 2013 demo.

My Blacklight demo marked my first time holding the PlayStation 4's new controller, which I fell in love with instantly. It feels better in the hand, with more responsive buttons and far more manageable triggers than those on the comparatively obtuse DualShock 3. Blacklight on PS4 utilizes that controller extremely well — the PC version of the title has been lauded for its tight shooting mechanics, which have been adapted nicely to the new DualShock.

That's quite fortunate, Moore explained, because a console's early shooters are often responsible for selling the promise of how all games will control on new platforms.

"For ergonomics in the controls; we saw it last generation with Halo, Halo pretty much defined how people held the Xbox with the old Duke controller," Moore said. "Sony's made some really good updates to the DualShock. When we got our hands on it and started playing, we were like, 'Holy crap, I think I've found my new favorite controller.'

"The first-person shooter genre being a genre that a lot of people buy their console for, the genre where you get your 15 million sellers, your 18 million sellers, your Call of Duty and Halo-type games," Moore said. "Those are the games that everyone puts their hands on, and if it doesn't make sense, you'll have a lot of disappointed fans out there. But we've done a lot of research to make sure Blacklight, even though we have different features, that people still feel comfortable in the game. They can pick up and play if they've played a previous game in the first-person genre, and they'll be able to figure it out really quickly and have a great time."

Shooting in Blacklight PS4 felt responsive, even though it used the DualShock's formerly maligned rear triggers. While the DualShock 3's squishy, convex inputs left a lot to be desired on the PS3 shooters which decided to use them for aiming and firing, the PS4's — while still slightly analog — do not disappoint. My demo was single-player, and the bots I was firing at didn't do much in the way of evasive maneuvering; the demo, Zombie explained, was to show E3 attendees what shooting guns on the new console feels like.

There's a lot we haven't seen from Blacklight: Retribution's PS4 port, but if demoing that one mechanic truly was Zombie's goal at E3, it succeeded with flying colors.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/16/4430256/blacklight-retribution

Yeah it looks really good, they adressed the issues that were often brought up with DS3. I'm very eager to try it out. I hope we'll get some PS4 stands in Sony Center's here, before launch.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

I'm so excited to see how this controller feels and plays. One the most exciting things about the PS4!

Around the Network

I just expect they don't make this controller better for FPS and forget the others genre.

What? I thought DS3 was close to perfect? But yes, it looks way better than before - Bungie helped with the design and many influences of the 360-controller went in the design. To me, the Xbone-controller still looks better because to me x360-controller *is* perfect, except for beatemups. The rumble-in-the-triggers is going to be awesome.

walsufnir said:
What? I thought DS3 was close to perfect? But yes, it looks way better than before - Bungie helped with the design and many influences of the 360-controller went in the design. To me, the Xbone-controller still looks better because to me x360-controller *is* perfect, except for beatemups. The rumble-in-the-triggers is going to be awesome.

360 is perfect for shooters

Edit - I mean... I have a hard time with fighting games for example.

that creepy stuff

What a freak that dude is! lol

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey