By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Next-gen Ww millionsellers as of 02Feb 2008.

Wow, just a couple of months ago the PS3 only had 2 million sellers. It starting to get some great games now so don't call it dead yet.

But the Wii is catching up with X360 quite well, I think it will pass it in early '09.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

Around the Network
Explosivo said:
Wow, just a couple of months ago the PS3 only had 2 million sellers. It starting to get some great games now so don't call it dead yet.

But the Wii is catching up with X360 quite well, I think it will pass it in early '09.

I don't know =x

We should compare it with two months ago how many million sellers did Wii have then and the X360?

@Starcraft I would like a thread like this every month so we can see how it evolves :).

I like it how wii's totals almost reaches 360's totals

konnichiwa said:
Explosivo said:

I don't know =x

We should compare it with two months ago how many million sellers did Wii have then and the X360?

@Starcraft I would like a thread like this every month so we can see how it evolves :).

I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I'm pretty sure it's usually been (360 million sellers) / 2 = Wii million sellers for the longest time.

I too would like a thread like this every month to show how it has evolved.

Also, though this is not the best way, if you look at America Yearly totals for 2006, and add up the number of million sellers, and then add a few thousand for Others data (Japan probably won't make a big enough difference), you can see how many million sellers 360 had after a year, and then compare it to the Wii now. I really hate to take a shot at it (in fear of being completely wrong), but looking at the data and compensating for Others data, I would say the 360 had 10 million sellers it's first year, compared to the Wiis 15 or so. Either way, they are very comparable.

Mummelmann said:
naznatips said:
Mummelmann said:
The big 3 actually have quite similar attach rates if you take things into account such as; how long its been out, install base and overall number of games released for it.
This is not counting Wiisports or Wiiplay of course...

Technically if you go by average time each user has owned their system, the attach rate goes Wii > PS3 > 360, and that's not counting Wii Sports. Wii Sports still sold almost 1.5 million in Japan without being packed in with anything. That's 4 times the highest selling PS3 game in Japan. Wii Play absolutely should be counted, even as a budget game. I have played over 20 hours of Wii Play, and it wasn't free to do so. People need to grow up and stop crying about Wii Play. Write Sony and tell them to release some budget games.

Oh, and Motorstorm had only sold 900K copies before it was packed in. *gasp* it's not a real million seller! Burn the Witch!

I've heard a buzz of Namco Museum titles among others, so they're inbound. There was also talk about being able to play the original Warhawk, Gran Turismo 1 (or parts of it) and other classic PS games through Home, but I haven't heard any more about it.

About Wiiplay; yeah maybe it should be counted, but I feel that games bundled with a controller when you can't buy multiple controllers with the machine itself constitues a status much like Wiisports. Then again, looking at Wiiplay sales, only about half of the Wii owners do buy it... It seems you got my point none the less, though, and I meant no harm by not including Wiiplay. 

that was true when the wii first launched but that's soo not valid anymore.  you can easily pick up controllers without having to buy wiiplay.  when i got wiiplay i was in the store with wiiplay in one hand and a controller in the other and said to myself, "for 10 extra bucks i want this game".  i'm with naz on this - people need to grow up and stop crying. 

./tanks is awesome - i've logged tons of time on that game. 

Around the Network

It looks like the Wii could pass the 360 this year in five million sellers, even if you remove Wii Play and Wii Sports.

@FishyJoe:

Not to go too far OT here, but Wii will quickly be catching everything in 5 million sellers when you do count Wii Sports and Wii Play.

PS2 had 13 five million sellers... Wii has only 3 right now, but that will turn into 9 or 10 by year end:

Wii Sports; Wii Play; Mario Galaxy; Zelda: TP; Mario Party 8; Mario and Sonic at the Olympics; Super Smash Bros. Brawl; Wii Fit; Mario Kart Wii; Animal Crossing Wii

AC is the only question mark. Unless its delayed, I'm expecting it to be a late year release in Japan / early 2009 in Europe and America, in which case it wouldn't hit 5 million until 2009. But the other 9 are pretty safe bets at this point.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Interesting. Not to mention all 3 should be having some new releases withing the quarter and get some of those as well, and they all have long run titles that'll eventually make it.

kitler53 said:
Mummelmann said:
naznatips said:
Mummelmann said:
The big 3 actually have quite similar attach rates if you take things into account such as; how long its been out, install base and overall number of games released for it.
This is not counting Wiisports or Wiiplay of course...

Technically if you go by average time each user has owned their system, the attach rate goes Wii > PS3 > 360, and that's not counting Wii Sports. Wii Sports still sold almost 1.5 million in Japan without being packed in with anything. That's 4 times the highest selling PS3 game in Japan. Wii Play absolutely should be counted, even as a budget game. I have played over 20 hours of Wii Play, and it wasn't free to do so. People need to grow up and stop crying about Wii Play. Write Sony and tell them to release some budget games.

Oh, and Motorstorm had only sold 900K copies before it was packed in. *gasp* it's not a real million seller! Burn the Witch!

I've heard a buzz of Namco Museum titles among others, so they're inbound. There was also talk about being able to play the original Warhawk, Gran Turismo 1 (or parts of it) and other classic PS games through Home, but I haven't heard any more about it.

About Wiiplay; yeah maybe it should be counted, but I feel that games bundled with a controller when you can't buy multiple controllers with the machine itself constitues a status much like Wiisports. Then again, looking at Wiiplay sales, only about half of the Wii owners do buy it... It seems you got my point none the less, though, and I meant no harm by not including Wiiplay.

that was true when the wii first launched but that's soo not valid anymore. you can easily pick up controllers without having to buy wiiplay. when i got wiiplay i was in the store with wiiplay in one hand and a controller in the other and said to myself, "for 10 extra bucks i want this game". i'm with naz on this - people need to grow up and stop crying.

./tanks is awesome - i've logged tons of time on that game.

Notice that I always state things with "believe", "feel" or "think". Unlike stating things as facts like many here do, so I do feel quite grown up. Did you read the sentence after that one at all? I'm not crying, I was simply thinking out loud, making no real conclusion, just venting how I "felt". Okay?

Man, how awesome would it be if No More Heroes were a million seller...

But right now, all is about right in the gaming world.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000