By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Time Magazine "Even Nintendo Is Stumped By the Wii U GamePad"

Too late for that - unfortunately.

Around the Network

The thing with the gamepad is that it's mandatory. Give people the choice to buy a gamepad and it becomes an asset. Force it on people and it becomes a liability. The gamepad is nice for off-screen play but it doesn't add much to most games. It's also too complicated and intimidating to most people. I'd like it to be an accessory like the balance board. If people want off-screen play and 5-player games in Mario Kart they can buy one. If they don't they save $100 on the hardware and can use the Wiimote. Well, it's too late for that now.

The Wii U would've sold better at $299 with a Wiimote 2 and a Pro controller inside the box.

UncleScrooge said:
The thing with the gamepad is that it's mandatory. Give people the choice to buy a gamepad and it becomes an asset. Force it on people and it becomes a liability. The gamepad is nice for off-screen play but it doesn't add much to most games. It's also too complicated and intimidating to most people. I'd like it to be an accessory like the balance board. If people want off-screen play and 5-player games in Mario Kart they can buy one. If they don't they save $100 on the hardware and can use the Wiimote. Well, it's too late for that now.

The Wii U would've sold better at $299 with a Wiimote 2 and a Pro controller inside the box.

If you want a device to succeed you don't make it optional

Gamers who feel betrayed by MS and hate Sony only have one place to go. I think Wii U is going to have pretty good holiday sales.

I think some people were waiting to see what Sony and MS come out with before they commit to nextgen. Now they've seen it all and they can make their decision.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Euphoria14 said:
I have always said that I felt the Gamepad is what held the WiiU back.

They should have put that money into slightly better internal hardware and packaged the console with the Wiimote+Nunchuck along with a Pro Controller.

I would have had one already.

Nailed it. At least 4 GB of Ram, cordless Wiimote + Nunchuck and Pro controller in every box and a $250 pricetag. Sell the gamepad as a separate peripheral for the people who would want to buy it.

Around the Network

Personally I really like the gamepad, especially how comfortable it is to play. The problem is Nintendo doesn't want to implement its unique features into games, aside from the off TV play thing. So I really don't understand what they were doing when they made it if they didn't have any ideas for unique ways the gamepad could be used in their IPs.

Let's say the WiiU didn't have the pad, but slightly more power and Wiimote & normal controllers only. Then the forums would be something like this; "bah wah, where's the innovation, where's my unique gameplay, i want something fresh, Nintendo can't win by being a copycat" And so on..

You see, it would still be hated no matter what.

For me the off-screen gameplay alone makes the gamepad a win, then there's surfing with the pad which is 10times smoother than with a clunky normal controller.

If you don't like it, sell it! Do it now today and order a ps4 or xbone and never look back!

Guovssohas said:
Let's say the WiiU didn't have the pad, but slightly more power and Wiimote & normal controllers only. Then the forums would be something like this; "bah wah, where's the innovation, where's my unique gameplay, i want something fresh, Nintendo can't win by being a copycat" And so on..

For me the off-screen gameplay alone makes the gamepad a win, then there's surfing with the pad which is 10times smoother than with a clunky normal controller.

If you don't like it, sell it! Do it now today and order a ps4 or xbone and never look back!

I agree with this. If Nintendo had just made a more powerful system like Sony/Microsoft than what would differentiate them? Why would anyone choose a Wii U over a One or PS4? At least the gamepad does make the system stand out. They just need to figure out what to do with it.

HyrulianScrolls said:
Guovssohas said:

I agree with this. If Nintendo had just made a more powerful system like Sony/Microsoft than what would differentiate them? Why would anyone choose a Wii U over a One or PS4? At least the gamepad does make the system stand out. They just need to figure out what to do with it.

EXACTLY!

Guovssohas said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
Guovssohas said:

EXACTLY!

For the exclusive games maybe?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.