By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen offers not much except for graphics

zarx said:

Sure it does almost all of the games shown at E3 started out on and or are still coming to PS360. No shit they would be possible outside of the graphics. The first batch of games at every new console generation since the dawn of 3D games has had the exact same argument layed against em. It's going to take a few years for developers to build ground up experiances around new hardware.

The OPs argument is silly

It's not that silly... I understand perfectly what you mean tho. Most games at the begining of every gens don't take full advantages of new features yes I'm aware of that. But to tell you frankly, not much is possible on current gen than is not possible on last gen and I say that based on what features were added on both PS3 and 360... controllers are virtually the same, the medium was almost the same (BlueRay proved nothing for PS3 except for more videos)... the only thing that felt like a new gen was the Wii and later Move and Kinect... but "gamers" are so conservative that not much came out of these new inputs...

I just hope next gen they try harder even if gamers keep whining and ask for more same old same old. They have all these amazing input devices and power and features, I want them to use them and show us how next gen games are more than current gen with prettier graphics. Like I said already, Turn10 and their Dravatar thing is very exciting... imagine you play a game (anything) and enemies behave like humans would in a multiplayer game... to me that is already more appealing than prettier graphics...

Around the Network

I was pretty impressed with both systems launch lineups. I remember the 360 launch titles and how they looked compared to these is a pretty big jump. But aside from that we are also finally going to be getting some legit Mmo's, digital distribution, 3d environments, I'm pretty excited.

Pristine20 said:
The only thing the SNES offered over the NES was better graphics/tech. It was still a great upgrade

SNES brought a new controller offering more possibilities. Also far better sounds and WAY better graphics allowing new kind of games. I'm sorry but Star Fox and Killer Instinct show how more advanced the SNES was compared to the NES. PS3 to PS4? About the same!

Jazz2K said:
Pristine20 said:
The only thing the SNES offered over the NES was better graphics/tech. It was still a great upgrade

SNES brought a new controller offering more possibilities. Also far better sounds and WAY better graphics allowing new kind of games. I'm sorry but Star Fox and Killer Instinct show how more advanced the SNES was compared to the NES. PS3 to PS4? About the same!

New controller? Still a tiny pad with buttons, just more. PS4 has a trackpad now and xbox1 has voice commands while the wii has a tablet...those should count too then. How were star fox and killer instinct better than Nes games besides their graphics? Many would even argue that the original super mario bros is better than the versions on SNES...what gives? You're touting graphics now. I would have thought you didn't care.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

a game like watch dogs cannot be done on current gen

mM
Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Jazz2K said:
Pristine20 said:

New controller? Still a tiny pad with buttons, just more. PS4 has a trackpad now and xbox1 has voice commands while the wii has a tablet...those should count too then. How were star fox and killer instinct better than Nes games besides their graphics? Many would even argue that the original super mario bros is better than the versions on SNES...what gives? You're touting graphics now. I would have thought you didn't care.

Yep a tiny pad with buttons... more of them, more possibilities... 

I already stated that PS4 has a trackpad and I hope they use it way more than they used that Sixaxis tilt thingy. Put features on your controllers ok but use them so we know it's not just the same controls from the gen before... PS1-PS2-PS3 and now PS4 have almost the same controller... possibilities are too close to say they offer new possibilities, except for the trackpad.

Starfox and Killer Instinct are not necessarily more fun than NES games, but they offer everything not possible on NES, be it graphics (to this extend I have to say it), sounds, controls man everything screams I'm a next gen game... now look at Infamous Second Son vs Infamous 2... they are the same game one with better graphics that is it...

I'm not saying they are bad games... I'm saying up until now, next gen don't offer much except for better graphics and it's a let down.

Jazz2K said:

It's not that silly... I understand perfectly what you mean tho. Most games at the begining of every gens don't take full advantages of new features yes I'm aware of that. But to tell you frankly, not much is possible on current gen than is not possible on last gen and I say that based on what features were added on both PS3 and 360... controllers are virtually the same, the medium was almost the same (BlueRay proved nothing for PS3 except for more videos)... the only thing that felt like a new gen was the Wii and later Move and Kinect... but "gamers" are so conservative that not much came out of these new inputs...

I just hope next gen they try harder even if gamers keep whining and ask for more same old same old. They have all these amazing input devices and power and features, I want them to use them and show us how next gen games are more than current gen with prettier graphics. Like I said already, Turn10 and their Dravatar thing is very exciting... imagine you play a game (anything) and enemies behave like humans would in a multiplayer game... to me that is already more appealing than prettier graphics...

Online features will be the big trend for next gen games across the board even tho it's not necesserily a local hardware thing. Ubisoft especially is pushing into multiplayer mixed with singleplayer style experiances. And that trend will only get bigger. features like tight platform wide social intergration will be a gamechanger for a lot of games across the board, but that kind of thing doesn't show well in trailers and stage demos. Just look at the number of MMOs are coming to next gen consoles.

Next gen hardware will really help push the scope and scale, as well as detail and veriaty of games to new levels. Which will really change the experiance even if the core gameplay loop may be possible on older consoles. Things like procedural animation and physics will of course leed to new gameplay experiances with the same old gameplay loops. Just being able to have more than half a dozzen enemy types with their own AI on screen at once will lead to a lot of different experiances.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Jazz2K said:
Pristine20 said:
Jazz2K said:
Pristine20 said:

I already stated that PS4 has a trackpad and I hope they use it way more than they used that Sixaxis tilt thingy. Put features on your controllers ok but use them so we know it's not just the same controls from the gen before... PS1-PS2-PS3 and now PS4 have almost the same controller... possibilities are too close to say they offer new possibilities, except for the trackpad.

Starfox and Killer Instinct are not necessarily more fun than NES games, but they offer everything not possible on NES, be it graphics (to this extend I have to say it), sounds, controls man everything screams I'm a next gen game... now look at Infamous Second Son vs Infamous 2... they are the same game one with better graphics that is it...

I'm not saying they are bad games... I'm saying up until now, next gen don't offer much except for better graphics and it's a let down.

I'll chime in to support you by saying the SNES controller was revolutionary because it allowed for more gamplay mechanics in games. There were four additional buttons on the controller that benefitted games like fighters, racers, and even platformers because you could simply do more than just two simple actions like on the NES. Sure it wasn't a shift to 3D, but the SNES definitely did more for gaming than some people here are giving it credit (or not giving it credit) for.

leo-j said:
a game like watch dogs cannot be done on current gen

You better tell Ubisoft that...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Jazz2K said:
Pristine20 said:
Jazz2K said:
Pristine20 said:

So essentially STarfox and K.I. are higher tech than Nes games right? Infamous: SS is higher tech than Infamous 2...same thing. You are comparing different genres of games to make a point. Star fox and K.I. only screamed "nex-gen" because their style of games weren't done on NES previously. Now, to use your type of comparison, what was the difference between Super Mario Bros (NES) and Super Mario World (SNES) besides graphics? In both games, you jumped up and down and moved from left to right. Both were also played with 2 buttons.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler