By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles, say sources

kowenicki said:
Why do people struggle to differentiate between what a console demands and what a developer can demand.

If a developer demands that you sign into their servers once a day to continue to be able to play a game then Sony and the ps4 can't stop that.

It isn't complicated....

Quoted in the (small) hope that anyone figures out that this issue is about 3rd party developers and not what Sony are saying.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

Why are people freaking out over rumors. Sony has stated that the DRM system will be the exact same as the PS3. The only things companies like EA can do is bring back online passes. Which everyone saw coming anyways. Stop freaking out over every rumor.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

the2real4mafol said:
I don't know what to believe. I though if something was announced officially, it was final

I remember when Sony said Online Multiplayer would be free for PSN and that you could install an alternative OS on the PS3.

KylieDog said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
kowenicki said:
Why do people struggle to differentiate between what a console demands and what a developer can demand.

If a developer demands that you sign into their servers once a day to continue to be able to play a game then Sony and the ps4 can't stop that.

It isn't complicated....

Quoted in the (small) hope that anyone figures out that this issue is about 3rd party developers and not what Sony are saying.

Sony make the rules for their consoles, if Sony say single player games are playable offline, then single player games are playable offline.  End of. 

Sure they can set the rules, but they just said on record that they would allow 3rd party developers to make their own DRM rules.

Sony itself will not persue any DRM, but they won't stop 3rd party developers from doing so. Which is the reason why Edge are saying the DRM-Free statement is a PR play. 

To quote Kowenicki once again: "It isn't complicated...."

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Sony isn't lying to you, they said their first and second party publisher would not implement DRM whatsoever. However, they said third party publishers are free to do whatever they think the consumer will want. After seeing the massive out roar of DRM I doubt many publishers will go that route, with the obvious exception of Activision, and let's face it EA and Ubisoft.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Lol at certain people's and that site's wishful thinking, This is nothing more than speculation. If Sony do implement this, feel free to complain and judge them, but as it is right now, it's far from anything like Ms are doing.

Given the trouble some fans have caused over the last month you can bet it's going to be a very harsh judgement by everyone, I'm sure we'll see no hypocrisy either. 

How many times does Sony has to come up and say PS4 DRM is just like PS3? DRM only for online in used games.

PS4 doesn't even need to be online. This is like the last thing some people hold on to, dragging the PS4 to the mud along with the X1, it won't happen.

Rafux said:
How many times does Sony has to come up and say PS4 DRM is just like PS3? DRM only for online in used games.

PS4 doesn't even need to be online. This is like the last thing some people hold on to, dragging the PS4 to the mud along with the X1, it won't happen.

Until the people interested in saying that Sony's screwing the customers over stop telling what they hear, instead of the facts.

I must of been drunk while watching the conference.I could of swore Sony clearly said,the will not implement DRM in to the PS4 but leave it up to third parties.I think I know what the problem is,they keep saying it in English,maybe they should try it in Japanese,it would sound more believable.After all,they're a Japanese company.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Sure they can set the rules, but they just said on record that they would allow 3rd party developers to make their own DRM rules.

Sony itself will not persue any DRM, but they won't stop 3rd party developers from doing so. Which is the reason why Edge are saying the DRM-Free statement is a PR play. 

To quote Kowenicki once again: "It isn't complicated...."

how can it be a pr play when this is what they themselves said will happen...

in terms of leaving drm up to developers...

what has changed?

...secondly how can the policies be the same when its confirmed there is no online check in and no mandatory installs?

after all the crap ms is getting people seriously believe sony will implement that nonsense?