By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles, say sources

personally what i do find sickening is that for many of the posts in here there isn't an air of sadness over this news but of joy
like if this is somehow a good thing
honestly believe many take this console war shit a little too seriously

Around the Network

Any game that is made for PS4 that is physical goods, whether first-party or third-party, can go into a PS4 and play regardless of where it came from. The first player will play it, no problem, the second player will play it, no problem. What I was referring to was the online proposition. [The example was later given to me: If you buy a used disc from GameStop, you’ll have no problem popping that disc in and playing it from your PlayStation 4. The issue may arise when you try to jump online and play with other players. At that point, a third-party publisher may impose a fee or not allow that.]

The easiest way to explain it is — if you understand how it works on PlayStation 3, then that’s the same way it will work on PlayStation 4. No changes there. We’ve been out for six and a half years. It’s the same experience.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=162160&page=1

- This was linked here before but I think some people still need to read it again to understand it.

Edit:

Question! If Sony backtracks on their word about No DRM can't they get sued for that for consumer anti-trust issue? Not saying it would happen (The DRM) but I'm just curious of they can get sued because of it.

tiffac said:
Any game that is made for PS4 that is physical goods, whether first-party or third-party, can go into a PS4 and play regardless of where it came from. The first player will play it, no problem, the second player will play it, no problem. What I was referring to was the online proposition. [The example was later given to me: If you buy a used disc from GameStop, you’ll have no problem popping that disc in and playing it from your PlayStation 4. The issue may arise when you try to jump online and play with other players. At that point, a third-party publisher may impose a fee or not allow that.]

The easiest way to explain it is — if you understand how it works on PlayStation 3, then that’s the same way it will work on PlayStation 4. No changes there. We’ve been out for six and a half years. It’s the same experience.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=162160&page=1

- This was linked here before but I think some people still need to read it again to understand it.

Quoted and bolded for maximum clarity..

Personally I see no reason to doubt Sony over this. Theyve said multiple times explicitly that there will be no DRM in regards to single player.

I'm treating this 100% as just rumor

tiffac said:

Question! If Sony backtracks on their word about No DRM can't they get sued for that for consumer anti-trust issue? Not saying it would happen (The DRM) but I'm just curious of they can get sued because of it.

Sony proved serveral times this generation that they can remove or add whatever features they like and you can do NOTHING about it.  They removed Other OS which was a advertised feature on the console when originally purchased as well as other hardware features they advertised the console as possessing such as SA-CD, card readers, etc.  When you agree to the license agreement for the console it will clearly state they can change policies and procedures (obviously you are welcmoe to try and prove that it is not a reasonable condition if you want).  As for whether they will add DRM further down the line, you can bet they will if Microsoft are successful with their policies.

Around the Network

So it's this: http://n4g.com/news/1278626/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only I can't believe I woke up in such a haze as to give an article written by notorious shit-rag Edge, any credence. Especially as it's Sony related.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

slowmo said:
tiffac said:

Sony proved serveral times this generation that they can remove or add whatever features they like and you can do NOTHING about it.  They removed Other OS which was a advertised feature on the console when originally purchased as well as other hardware features they advertised the console as possessing such as SA-CD, card readers, etc.  When you agree to the license agreement for the console it will clearly state they can change policies and procedures (obviously you are welcmoe to try and prove that it is not a reasonable condition if you want).  As for whether they will add DRM further down the line, you can bet they will if Microsoft are successful with their policies.

Hmm... your right and I just realize how dumb my question was because how can you get sued for something that ain't there in the first place. Thank you for enlightening me.

kowenicki said:
Why do people struggle to differentiate between what a console demands and what a developer can demand.

If a developer demands that you sign into their servers once a day to continue to be able to play a game then Sony and the ps4 can't stop that.

It isn't complicated....

Pretty much. I doubt many 3rd parties would do it though. Maybe EA and a couple of others.

dharh said:
The DRM implemented on the two platforms atm is different.

SONY with likely be sticking to what is in the previous generation. Online game passes.

MS seems to be going with a bit more invasive game registration and 24 hours online authentication system.

Personally i'm ok with one time game passes for the online stuff, but then again a) I rarely use online stuff except the very rare exception online game b) you usually get one online pass with the purchase of the game new and I almost always buy new c) I'm not self entitled enough to believe that online stuff should be free.

Looks like i'm wrong. Sony is saying no online game passes for PS4.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194150/Further_clarification_on_Sonys_DRM_policies_No_more_online_pass.php

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Sony is digging themselves a hole for later with their supporters. Crazy how people are so naïve to think the PS4 won't be DRM infested very shortly after launch. Kaz is basically the face of Sony and popular PS brand figure and he was nowhere to be seen for a good reason... Tretton will be taking the fallout from all these lies at E3 later and they will rework things again with Kaz like it never happened.