By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo hardly showed anything new AT ALL; have they run out of ideas? (Rant)

Jumpin said:
This line of criticism can be directed at just about every company. Why single out Nintendo?

I can't believe people are actually using this as a excuse.

For years, Nintendo has long been touting how they're supposed to be different from the other two. That instead of glossing up the same old experiences, they focus on bringing unique, fresh ideas to market instead. I didn't see anything near that level of innovating or risk-taking here.

In fact, one of the key highlights for me was how "specs don't matter on the Wii" Iwata was pushing Wind Waker HD's 1080p resolution and use of shaders to enhance the visuals. The same kind of talk Nintendo mocked the other two companies for using back when the Wii was whipping their asses.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
gigantor21 said:
With this ND, Nintendo didn't show anything near the level of ambition or hunger I expected out of them in the wake of the Wii U's problems. Mario Kart and Smash won't be out until next year, the Retro game ended up being yet another DKC platformer, and the 3D Mario is 3D Land U with Peach and cat suits. The new Sonic game on Wii U looks a lot more interesting. Meanwhile, the next Zelda game wasn't even mentioned.

Nothing I saw out of the Direct convinced me that the WiiU will bring enough to the table to compete with the other next gen consoles this holiday. Or that Nintendo itself is willing or able to deal with the gravity of the situation. They're doing a piss poor job of leveraging their broad range of IPs, and aren't doing much with the ones they are working on with the Wii U. That Mario Kart 8 was the most intriguing of the bunch worries me greatly.

In the wake of their lack of 3rd party support compared to the Xone and PS4, Nintendo needed to come correct this morning. They didn't.

What about the U is different than the cube in terms of core content newness? If after all these years you haven't realized that Nintendo don't go apeshit on new IPs, then you're clearly barking up the wrong tree. They aren't Sony, they're Nintendo, take them or leave them.

The problem isn't just that though. It's that they aren't even doing much to rock the boat for the IPs they are using. That was the main argument they had for leaning on Mario and Zelda all these years. They've done far more interesting things with 3D Mario games than 3D World, and already have plenty of other old IPs that Retro could've worked on. Instead, they're doing another Donkey Kong Country game.

How much better is that then doing a crapton of Halo and God of War games exactly?

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

They brought sexiness with bayonetta 2... that's more bouncing boobies then Sony and MS showed combined...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Honestly, I don't know who's stupider, Nintendo for thinking people where gonna gasp and buy a wii U with this direct, or me for actually thinking that Nintendo could convince me if they announced some surprises. Really there's no wonder they didn't make a conference at E3, it would have went down in history as the worst showing Nintendo ever did. Mario, Mario, Mario. And Smash's trailer was just garbage. No one gives a damn about Villager. Where's the newness Nintendo? I wouldn't let them slide if they should a real Wii U zelda or Metroid, or starfox. Hell, anything would have been better than a Wii repeat of their 3DS show back at 2011.

Tsk. tsk.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

M.U.G.E.N said:
Ugh no this is NOT applicable to Sony. I went to town on them in the vita thread for their vita handling last night so they definitely have things they need to be criticized over. But bringing new IPs and ideas is not one of them.

Well then Sony has two things that need to be criticized. Because this is also applicable to them. (Uncharted... Killzone...)

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Ugh no this is NOT applicable to Sony. I went to town on them in the vita thread for their vita handling last night so they definitely have things they need to be criticized over. But bringing new IPs and ideas is not one of them.

There's two Killzone games coming out this year.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

BasilZero said:
The only thing I was disappointed with honestly was the lack of a Pokemon X/Y bundle or a new colors for the 3DS XL.

FU NoA :(

(Hopefully tonight a Pokemon X/Y bundle will be teased/shown....I mean the show will be 1 hr and 30 min >.>).

Coincidentally when is that show?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

BasilZero said:
Conegamer said:
BasilZero said:
The only thing I was disappointed with honestly was the lack of a Pokemon X/Y bundle or a new colors for the 3DS XL.

FU NoA :(

(Hopefully tonight a Pokemon X/Y bundle will be teased/shown....I mean the show will be 1 hr and 30 min >.>).

Coincidentally when is that show?

6:30 PST from what I hear.

That's...no help I'm afraid, but thanks ¬_¬

So how long is that from now?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Its not a lack of ideas, it's Nintendo unwillingness to allow their divisions to try new stuff because they have become so complacent. I guess this is what having a console that makes billions gets you. You see Eiji Aonuma start to voice his concerns of not wanting to make yet another Zelda game, I'm sure the people at Retro tire of regurgitating the same old Nintendo franchises in making another Mario kart or Donkey Kong platformer (Something that Rare would laugh at). But the same old people here would say hey its innovation blah blah or try to downplay Sony or Microsoft's offerings by including them.

Close the thread, the WiiFit instructor seems to be a character in Super Smash Bros. If THAT isn't an unique idea I have no idea how you guys ever will be satisfied :P