By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Year of the PSP

There are some excellent games in that list, but I still have no interest in a PSP - whatsoever. Every single one of those games would be better on a Playstation 2 (or any other modern console). I'll stick to handheld games when traveling, and to console games at home thanks.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

This sure ain't gonna be a bad year for PSP... But let me get something straight:

Your title: The year of PSP!... WTF?!

Software line-up might be good... But the DS is CRUSHING all sales records....

And the arguments you come up with is, look at the software library:

Well: DS, X360 and Wii have some killers too! So it just depends on which games you like!

DS:

-Dragon quest IX.

-Final fantasy XII: Revenant wings.

-Zelda: Phanthom hourglass.

-Pokémon: Diamond/Pearl.

- There are many more but these are the ones IM ABSOLUTELY SURE OF THAT IM BUYING.

X360:

- Halo 3.

- GTA IV.

- Too Human.

- Some nice RPG's...

- Bioshock.

- Damn, whats the name again... Where you can travel between planets and do lots of things... AARGH!...

Wii:

- Resident evil umbrella corp. Chronicles.

- Super mario Galaxy.

- Oppoona.

- Super smash bros: Brawl.

- Manhunt 2.

- No more heroes.

- Metroid prime 3.

- MySims... (Casual gamer, killer app...)

- WiiHealth... (Casual gamer, killer app...)

- WiiMusic... (Casual gamer, killer app...)

So, end of the story is: It just depends on which games you like.

THE NETHERLANDS

FishyJoe said:
The DS is having a historic year. You can't really call it the year of the PSP when the DS is absolutely crushing all sales records.

Yes, the title of this thread is a bit exaggerated. I suppose roadkillers meant the best year for PSP so far.

My revised list for the remainder of 2007 (not included MGSPO):

Ratchet and Clank Size Matters
Crush
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Travels
Driver 76
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
Earthworm Jim
Cannon Fodder
Manhunt 2
Worms: Open Warfare 2
Alien Syndrome
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Dead Head Fred
Wipeout Pulse
Silent Hill Origins
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Ferrari Challenge
Rainbow Islands Evolution
Gran Turismo Mobile
Jeanne D'Arc
Final Fantasy I: Anniversary
Final Fantasy II: Anniversary
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Disgaea Portable
Castlevaniz: Dracula X Chronicles
SWAT: Target Liberty
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Devil May Cry Portable
Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War

The above games are a taster of what 2007 has in store for the PSP.  IMHO, the PSP's release list seems to be getting better all the time.  This month alone, I reckon the PSP's lineup is better than any other console or handheld.  Yes the sales for DS games are huge, but this is expected seeing as they have double the number of units on the market compared to the PSP.

I reckon by the end of this year, the PSP will have a very good and varied back catalogue of games. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

OriGin said:
It's a good year, but to me I can see that these games seem to cater for just one kind of crowd...

Ok, I'm going to take some bait here.  One crowd...is that crowd PSP owners?  I'd agree there...

Seriously, though...Elder Scrolls and FF7:Crisis Core are both RPGs but even those don't appeal to the same "kind of crowd."  

Let me try to guess some other crowd names:  game players, people who like fun games, people who like great games? 

I can put God of War and Devil May Cry in the same game category, so you win there...I just don't know sometimes... 

Around the Network
kber81 said:
FishyJoe said:
The DS is having a historic year. You can't really call it the year of the PSP when the DS is absolutely crushing all sales records.

Yes, the title of this thread is a bit exaggerated. I suppose roadkillers meant the best year for PSP so far.

Exactly how I took it. I didn't know how comprehensive the list was for this year so I'm pretty excited. Always people to bring you down, though... Oh, and I don't judge my excitement of games based on sales.  I'm sure Pokemon will sell better than any PSP game, probably ever, but I don't want it so I don't care. 

I'd also add wifi access to the PS3 that will hopefully make its debut this year.

shams said:
There are some excellent games in that list, but I still have no interest in a PSP - whatsoever. Every single one of those games would be better on a Playstation 2 (or any other modern console). I'll stick to handheld games when traveling, and to console games at home thanks.

What game wouldn't be better on a Wii that's on the DS? Brain Age? Aren't they bringing that to the Wii? Dragon Quest 9? I'm sure that could be better on the Wii. I'd prefer New Super Mario Bros. on the Wii because I played the classics on a home console.

My point here is that you could argue that point for any handheld game. The point of the handheld is that it's portable. Being able to play MGS, GoW, DMC, KH (oh wait, wasn't that on the GBA?! oh no!) is a nice thing.

Portable Ops was designed around the PSP so that the missions were short. A whole new idea of recruiting soldiers was added. Sure, that game could be better on a console, but the missions would have to be made longer, so a direct port wouldn't really work on a console.

Tactics is a great game for the road. Monster Hunter was designed around portable gaming as well.

I would be perfectly content if you just said you don't prefer the PSP games, but this comparison to PS2 franchises makes no sense. Why are all the Nintendo franchises good on the DS but the PS2 franchises aren't good on the PSP?

ckmlb said:
Truthsayer said:
Of course you all know that psp stands for pretty shit#y playstation.

Well at least you made a good argument for that.........

How come this guy doesn't get banned again?

Report him, I just did it.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

windbane said:
shams said:

What game wouldn't be better on a Wii that's on the DS? Brain Age? Aren't they bringing that to the Wii? Dragon Quest 9? I'm sure that could be better on the Wii. I'd prefer New Super Mario Bros. on the Wii because I played the classics on a home console.

My point here is that you could argue that point for any handheld game. The point of the handheld is that it's portable. Being able to play MGS, GoW, DMC, KH (oh wait, wasn't that on the GBA?! oh no!) is a nice thing.

Portable Ops was designed around the PSP so that the missions were short. A whole new idea of recruiting soldiers was added. Sure, that game could be better on a console, but the missions would have to be made longer, so a direct port wouldn't really work on a console.

Tactics is a great game for the road. Monster Hunter was designed around portable gaming as well.

I would be perfectly content if you just said you don't prefer the PSP games, but this comparison to PS2 franchises makes no sense. Why are all the Nintendo franchises good on the DS but the PS2 franchises aren't good on the PSP?

Totally!  People seem to forget that the PSP is a portable gaming system.  As you've said, there will be many games on the DS that would be better on the Wii...but the whole point is that the DS is a portable games machine, meaning that you can play the game on the move take your whole system whereever you go and still play the game.

Yes most of the PSP's games would be better on the PS2...but you cannot take your PS2 on the bus to play games (we you could try, but what a mess!!).

The thing is, you can play all sorts of games from RPG's to Racers to Platforms to Adventure games all on the move.  Actually, here's an example...I get a lift to my work...it take an hour each way to may work....over the last three days I've been playing Vice City Stories, Me & My Katamari and Tomb Raider Legend...great fun I'm having.

Also, all this talk of DS is better at this and that.  Stats don't lie and people love the DS and buy DS games in their droves and yes, the DS does have more unique DS games....but.....I personally feel that the PSP provides a more all rounded portable gaming experience by fullfilling all gaming categories:

Adventure, Arcade, Driving, Fighting, Flight Sim, Platform, Puzzle, Role Playing, Shoot'em'up, Sports & Strategy.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

windbane said:
shams said:

Its not about a brand being ported - its about a type of gameplay. Just because brain training is available on the DS, and will (probably) come out on the Wii doesn't mean anything - as they will be significantly different games.

The Wii is sort of odd anyway (its a bit like a console DS). Try playing Nintendogs, Brain Training or Elite Beat on a PS2, PSP or GC. Not only are they custom suited to the DS hardware, they are great portable titles. Nintendogs in its current form wouldn't be much fun on a TV (as its designed for 20min of gametime every day - not hour+ long sessions).

EDIT - Im not out to hassle or slag the PSP here. Its a quality system, with some excellent games. They just aren't the games I want to play on the go. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099