By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Year of the PSP

This topic looks incredibly similar to this one posted a week ago: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=918340&topic=34935141 ...

Around the Network
roadkillers said:

God of War: Chains of Olympus- http://youtube.com/watch?v=sJrTVg-TG_M

One of the best reviewed and one of the most popular games on the PS2 has its own exclusive game for the PSP. Made by the same people who made the game Daxter (which also got great reviews) comes God of War: Chains of Olympus.

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core- http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9fc3KDt8M

Another great looking game coming to the PSP. Unlike the other FFVII spin-off this is a true RPG. People are saying the battle system is suppost to be like the one in Final Fantasy 12.

Brave Story- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPid5crYf48

While this game aint my cup of peaches it is on a lot of peoples wishlists. Well we will have to see how this game turns out once its released.

Crush- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHgHUgP11w

In my opinion this is one of the most origanal games thats coming to the PSP. If you liked the New Paper Mario game then you should like this since it gives you the options of switching from 2D to 3D in game. This is one games thats not getting a lot of buzz but looks like it will turn out nicely.

Final Fantasy Tactics- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BSk0ONwd0

While I never played a Tactics game before I really want this one. This is suppost to be a remake of the PSX game with some improved graphics.

Jean D'arc- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqjZp_7vMU

This game is being made by level 5 the same people who brought you Dragon Quest 8 and Rogue Galaxy so you know its gunna be good.

Crazy Taxy Fare Wars- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJkj7xHugno

If you ever played the Dreamcast version you will know what your getting yourself into. The only thing im woundering if it can hold up even after all of these GTA games have come out. I wounder if the game will have the same impact it had years ago. Well we will have to wait and see.

s

This is a portable version of the insanely popular driving series. If this is like the others expect a AAA title coming your way.

GAMES WITH NO INFO BUT ARE COMING:

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: Travels

I cut out above what I'm excited about.  Jean D'arc and FFT I was always interested in I love portable rpg strategy. I'm curious what Crrazy Taxi will be like I do love the old ones, I just really thing they need to up the ante with this one so I don't feel like I'm simply playing a port. I was dying for an FF game so Crisis Core should be awesome, and I've never played God of War 1,2 but I am interested in checking this one out. Brave Story sounds cool too, crush seems neat but I probably won't get it. I'm most interested in Brooktown I think it's called, its a HighSchool Sim type game, I've been dying for something like that. Something that almost a cross between Bully and the Sims(maybe not exactly but close enough) so I'm just hoping it's well made. Oh I took out DEad head Fred but that does look good too, it seems to have an adventure game feel to it. I'd love that, I'd actually like to see the Sam and max episodes either come to the psp or DS too.

Starcraft maniac: This post isn't trying to say psp is going to crush the competetion or anything, I don't think anyone believes the psp is magically going to over throw the ds in sales. What this thread is, is a nice well researched catalog for the psp this year, so why can't we just let this thread be about that, without jumping into a fan war.

Probably because of the misleading title.

FishyJoe said:

Too true...it should maybe have been "2007, the PSP comes into it's own"

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Man, I feel really bad for the Europeans having to pay 40-50 Euros for a PSP game. Just looking at my collection of games that I have on me at this moment:

Pirates!-$20

World Tour Soccer-$8

Lumines- $15

Killzone- $30

Capcom Classics- $25

Puzzle Quest- $30

Chili Con Carnage- $15

Warriors- $15

Loco Roco- $30

Nothing's over $30. Prices are really coming down, you just have to wait and look for the really good deals.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
kber81 said:
ckmlb said:
I really want them to release the 2nd PSP version, they have waited way too long after Nintendo released the DS lite which we know was when they started winning the hand held war...

I don't know... PSP is only 2 years on the market. As for me it's way too early for lite version. What the lite version would offer? A new more modern casing is all I expect. PSP is already so small. The difference would be minimal. In my opinion winning status of DS is only because of games which fit to much broader audience. Lite version boosted sale for sure but the most important factor of DS success are games.

In a way I kind of agree with you on that. First of all let me say, the success of any system is its games.  Next let me just say it seems like everyone who had a regular DS sold it to a friend then bought a DS lite.

But anyway, you said, "In my opinion winning status of DS is only because of games which fit to much broader audience." I sort of agree with that. I have a DS lite and I love it and love the games for it (CURRENTLY PLAYING POKEMON!!!). The reason the DS is so popular is because its a perfect fit for what I believe most handheld gamers want: Either a much more simple port from a console game, a new or new sequeal simpler game, or remade classics. (Sometimes just streight classics, not edited)  The DS is made for that. I dont know about most of you, but I really hate the idea of playing a ported console game that does its best to be the exact same thing. When given the choice to play a big, good graphics, big storyline, etc, kind of game, I would take the console version everytime.  I prefer it. First of all it would most likely be better, and smoother.  When going to handheld gaming, I want something more simple, something that goes good for on the run, not something so big and advanced. Also something intuitive and/or just plain simple dumb fun is good for handhelds too, which the DS is also very good for.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

shams said:
windbane said:
shams said:
There are some excellent games in that list, but I still have no interest in a PSP - whatsoever. Every single one of those games would be better on a Playstation 2 (or any other modern console). I'll stick to handheld games when traveling, and to console games at home thanks.

What game wouldn't be better on a Wii that's on the DS? Brain Age? Aren't they bringing that to the Wii? Dragon Quest 9? I'm sure that could be better on the Wii. I'd prefer New Super Mario Bros. on the Wii because I played the classics on a home console.

My point here is that you could argue that point for any handheld game. The point of the handheld is that it's portable. Being able to play MGS, GoW, DMC, KH (oh wait, wasn't that on the GBA?! oh no!) is a nice thing.

Its not about a brand being ported - its about a type of gameplay. Just because brain training is available on the DS, and will (probably) come out on the Wii doesn't mean anything - as they will be significantly different games.

The Wii is sort of odd anyway (its a bit like a console DS). Try playing Nintendogs, Brain Training or Elite Beat on a PS2, PSP or GC. Not only are they custom suited to the DS hardware, they are great portable titles. Nintendogs in its current form wouldn't be much fun on a TV (as its designed for 20min of gametime every day - not hour+ long sessions).

EDIT - Im not out to hassle or slag the PSP here. Its a quality system, with some excellent games. They just aren't the games I want to play on the go.

I like how you left out my quote that portable ops (MGS) was completely designed around the PSP and allows for short gaming moments. Like I said, just because they are the same franchises as the PS2 does not mean they play the exact same way. Of course they don't. There are also games like Lumines and LocoRoco that are completely different.

But hey, if you want to believe that the PSP games aren't made to be portable, you go right on ahead. You are basically saying every developer for the PSP is stupid. I guess we'll just disagree on that.

Narfer said:
kber81 said:
ckmlb said:
I really want them to release the 2nd PSP version, they have waited way too long after Nintendo released the DS lite which we know was when they started winning the hand held war...

I don't know... PSP is only 2 years on the market. As for me it's way too early for lite version. What the lite version would offer? A new more modern casing is all I expect. PSP is already so small. The difference would be minimal. In my opinion winning status of DS is only because of games which fit to much broader audience. Lite version boosted sale for sure but the most important factor of DS success are games.

In a way I kind of agree with you on that. First of all let me say, the success of any system is its games. Next let me just say it seems like everyone who had a regular DS sold it to a friend then bought a DS lite.

But anyway, you said, "In my opinion winning status of DS is only because of games which fit to much broader audience." I sort of agree with that. I have a DS lite and I love it and love the games for it (CURRENTLY PLAYING POKEMON!!!). The reason the DS is so popular is because its a perfect fit for what I believe most handheld gamers want: Either a much more simple port from a console game, a new or new sequeal simpler game, or remade classics. (Sometimes just streight classics, not edited) The DS is made for that. I dont know about most of you, but I really hate the idea of playing a ported console game that does its best to be the exact same thing. When given the choice to play a big, good graphics, big storyline, etc, kind of game, I would take the console version everytime. I prefer it. First of all it would most likely be better, and smoother. When going to handheld gaming, I want something more simple, something that goes good for on the run, not something so big and advanced. Also something intuitive and/or just plain simple dumb fun is good for handhelds too, which the DS is also very good for.

"The recruitment mechanic also adds a new, somewhat nonlinear aspect to the story mode. Between missions (which are often quite short, to feel "portable"), Snake and Roy plan over a map dotted with specific areas (like "airport") -- while there will always be one area that progresses the story, you can choose to undertake missions in any of the previously uncovered areas." --1UP review of MGS:  Portable Ops.

The franchises that go from PS2 to PSP are often like this example in that they change some of the play mechanics to incorporate more portable elements.  Rachet is similar in that the game was toned down to a portable level (size matters, after all).

There have been many remade classics including emulators that run on the PSP and all PS1 games (as far as I know) run on the PSP.  Official sony versions of those PS1 games hopefully become more prevalent.

The list that started this thread included remade FF1 and FF2 that actually add content (something I prefer, like MK2 on PSN that adds online...and this week Gaunlet 2 goes online on the PSN!...but that's another thread).  Granted, I already own Final Fantasy Origins that includes both, and I intend to just play that version on my PSP and PS3 simultaneously (PS1 game).

The DS may have more games geared toward the young crowd, but I think the PSP has several games in that category as well, in addition to the more mature games.  These include Ratchet, Loco Roco, and Lumines that I've already mentioned.  I think the PSP offers all of what you mentioned.  For some reason people have gotten the idea that better graphics means a game is not as portable.  Very odd.

davygee said:
FishyJoe said:

Too true...it should maybe have been "2007, the PSP comes into it's own"

Ya I know its kind of misleading and yes the PS3 and Wii have a better line up (maybe 360 to but not sure whats coming for it) but it gives something for people to talk about.

PS: I did get the idea for this topic from the Gamefaqs topics but I did not copy it if you look at the games on his list.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e