By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the 3DS SD Card read speed slower than the cart read speeds?

Tagged games:

KBG29 said:
And this is why a proprietary memory format is so important for a unified platform. I can not find any reference to how fast the game cartridges read, but like others have said, if you buy a high end SD card it should easily outperform the standard cart. Good luck, I think gaming from large local memory pools is the way of the future.

just to clarify are you suggesting that Sonys vita Memory card system is better than allowing gamers go to a PC store and pick up a 16gb sd card for around 10euros which works completely perfectly? I'm just wondering what the basis for this is I have played a lot of games from an SD card on the 3ds and I went with the cheapest biggest one I could find and have never had a single loading issue with it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Otakumegane said:
Hm...upon searching up some sites, Sandisk really is the way to go. Maybe I'll get a 8GB one to be safe. I have no use for 32 GB or anything that large.

Bad programming (like Ridge Racer 3D) is a much bigger issue for loading times than read speeds.

Last time I checked, there isn't much of a price difference between 8, 16 and 32GB SD cards. 32GB might seem excessive, but over the years there could be quite a few games that don't see a retail release in your region and are digital-only. Ace Attorney 5 is one of them. Such games can take up around 1GB of space due to prerendered cutscenes and voice acting, so it can add up quickly. It's something to consider.

Dang, you might be right about that one. Haven't considered digital only Japan games. 

I'll think about a larger one.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

RolStoppable said:
Otakumegane said:
Hm...upon searching up some sites, Sandisk really is the way to go. Maybe I'll get a 8GB one to be safe. I have no use for 32 GB or anything that large.

Bad programming (like Ridge Racer 3D) is a much bigger issue for loading times than read speeds.

Last time I checked, there isn't much of a price difference between 8, 16 and 32GB SD cards. 32GB might seem excessive, but over the years there could be quite a few games that don't see a retail release in your region and are digital-only. Ace Attorney 5 is one of them. Such games can take up around 1GB of space due to prerendered cutscenes and voice acting, so it can add up quickly. It's something to consider.

hah, I actually have RR3d and yeah waiting on that R with the circle around it to spin up a game is bad enough, but my god that game could have used a tiny tiny bit of anti Aliasing, every line in the game is like a serrated blade it's painful to watch next to how beautiful Mario Kart 7 looks... Sorry for offtopic!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Otakumegane said:
RolStoppable said:
Otakumegane said:

Dang, you might be right about that one. Haven't considered digital only Japan games. 

Be sure to check out Best Buy! I believe they have deals on their SD cards regularly. I got my 16GB one from them for a mere $8! :D

Einsam_Delphin said:
Otakumegane said:
RolStoppable said:
Otakumegane said:

Be sure to check out Best Buy! I believe they have deals on their SD cards regularly. I got my 16GB one from them for a mere $8! :D

I'll be going there for the 12th for the E3 demos. I'll be sure to look at some deals.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Otakumegane said:

I agree with Rol. Ihave an eight gig and it already almost 75 % full . better to have more space than you need than not enough. I wish I woulda bought at least a 16. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Otakumegane said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Otakumegane said:
RolStoppable said:
Otakumegane said:

I'll be going there for the 12th for the E3 demos. I'll be sure to look at some deals.

By some random chance, are you going to the one in Wheaton, MD? :O

Einsam_Delphin said:

Naw I live in Michigan.

Otakumegane said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Naw I live in Michigan.

Yeah, the chances of that were abysmal, but had to ask anyways hehe. Although, we could still meet up via visiting each other's villages in Animal Crossing if you're up for it. I promise not to destroy your town. :)