By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mummelmann said:
DOATS1 said:
just so you know, you DONT have to walk to your destinations. you could load up that mini psp interface (which i heard will also act as the ps3 version of the the '360 guide'), and instantly 'teleport' to you destination. the walking is just a social feature so you can randonly meet people, sight see, and all that shit.

Otherwise, it'd be like Dungeon Siege... Trek, trek and more trek (and Stalker as well). Walking in an interactive setting really is no fun.

You'll have to do a little bit of walking, but mainly you can teleport (for lack of a better word) to a specific area where you'd probably have to walk to the specific thing you wanted to do in that area. For example, you can spawn right infront of the movie theater, walk into the theater, take a seat and do whatever it is they have planned. 

Again, probably a good time to have a beta tester leak some information. It's been a while since there was any news of the features of Home as said from a beta tester.  

Around the Network

my god,It looks better than it did before,it looks really cool now.

I'm sure "Myspace and Facebook Whores" will adore it - but it really doesn't sing to me for some reason, i will probably play it for an hour and get bored.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

I know for a fact some people buy X360 games instead of PS3 games just because of achievement points.

When Sony implement this into their games, i think a lot of people will feel the oposite and say they want the PS3 version to unlock Trophies and Special Home Items.

I've got to agree with Devilstation. Trophies are the reason Home will be successful. I can't imagine many people using the movie thater thing more than a few times (say, to impress their friends one time or something), but I can guarentee you that the Trophies thing will blow Xbox Achievments out of the water. I mean, which is cooler; seeing a list of what you've done, or seeing a room full of these cool 3D tropies that have screenshots and stars and explosions all over them to show what you've done in various games. Add to that the "room" of ALL the trophies that are possible in ALL PS3 games (I can't remember exactly where I saw that pic, but it looked like the reactor shaft of the Death Star with thousands of 3D tropies floating around. Amazing.) THAT is WAY cooler than Achievments will ever HOPE to be.
I suppose the bowling, pool games, and the like will get used often, but I doubt a lot of people will use most of the available features. If you want to watch a movie, just turn on the PS3, hit the left D-pad button once, scroll down to the desired vid, and click "X". It'd be dumb to go through the hassle of opening Home, waiting for everything to load, find a movie theater, wait for THAT to load, and then watch the movie.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network
Devilstation said:
I know for a fact some people buy X360 games instead of PS3 games just because of achievement points.

When Sony implement this into their games, i think a lot of people will feel the oposite and say they want the PS3 version to unlock Trophies and Special Home Items.

The thing about their trophy system though is that it's terribly inconvenient. 

With the Gamerscore, you have a number that instantly tells you how awesome a person is.  With trophies, you have to visit a persons apartment to see how awesome they are.

With Gamerscore you can easily see your score on a game and compare it to anyone else's score and easily compare it to someone else.  With trophies, you see a big mess of trophies that could probably be of all different sizes and colors and could be difficult to tell what game they're from making it harder to compare games.

With Gamerscore it's easy to see what achievements someone has earned.  With trophies you still have a big mess of trophies that you will have to go through each one to see what the person has done.

Like everything with Home, I think it's a really good idea in theory but I just don't think it's going to work that well.  I have the funny feeling that Sony is going to also implement a non-home interface similar to Gamerscore that will be so much simpler and better than Home.  If that's the case, you have to ask yourself why they are trying to hard with Home when people are going to use the easier and cleaner interface that they won't get advertising money for (which I'm convinced is the only way they're going to pay for Home). 

Jessman said:
I'm sure "Myspace and Facebook Whores" will adore it - but it really doesn't sing to me for some reason, i will probably play it for an hour and get bored.

My expectations exactly. However, you never know what Sony has up their sleeves (if they even have Home up their sleeves...).  Maybe they'll do something cool like let you build your own personal amusement park to share with your friends or something. THAT would make me use Home.....

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Looks like The Sims 2 Online. Speaking of which those pics just made me wanna reinstall The Sims 2 on my PC.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Retrasado said:
I've got to agree with Devilstation. Trophies are the reason Home will be successful. I can't imagine many people using the movie thater thing more than a few times (say, to impress their friends one time or something), but I can guarentee you that the Trophies thing will blow Xbox Achievments out of the water. I mean, which is cooler; seeing a list of what you've done, or seeing a room full of these cool 3D tropies that have screenshots and stars and explosions all over them to show what you've done in various games. Add to that the "room" of ALL the trophies that are possible in ALL PS3 games (I can't remember exactly where I saw that pic, but it looked like the reactor shaft of the Death Star with thousands of 3D tropies floating around. Amazing.) THAT is WAY cooler than Achievments will ever HOPE to be.
I suppose the bowling, pool games, and the like will get used often, but I doubt a lot of people will use most of the available features. If you want to watch a movie, just turn on the PS3, hit the left D-pad button once, scroll down to the desired vid, and click "X". It'd be dumb to go through the hassle of opening Home, waiting for everything to load, find a movie theater, wait for THAT to load, and then watch the movie.

To me... the list. Honestly a room full of trophies would look extremely clustered to me and be more confusing then anything, cause everyone is going to have like hundreds of the things. Then again i'm not a much for show guy.

I like that sony's doing this. These types of places are going to be the market places of the future i think. I mean there are already people trading in online real estate in large quantities... and by online real eastate i mean freaking land in MMORPGs.

Of course that's more about the interesting economic realities of MMORPGS... which is a great thing to study and be curious about too... as they are there own little mini countries (often with more GDP then a lot of real countries) with rapid inflation.

But uh anyway... a list seems less confused then trophies... but I see sony using this to set up a bunch of virtual shops to hawk stuff and form their own website store places for them... and others willing to pay a fee.

Goddbless said:
Looks like The Sims 2 Online. Speaking of which those pics just made me wanna reinstall The Sims 2 on my PC.

I was actually thinking of that last night.  Home really does look less like a Second Life knockoff (as someone previously mentioned) and more like a Sims knockoff.

The problem with this is that the Sims actually has goals and gameplay while Home is nothing more than a portal.  Sure, the Sims goals are all user defined, but they are still there and give you a reason for being there.  Home is a portal to your media, games, or chat room and that's it.

And I'm done typing for the day, my Celtic Woman: A New Journey DVD arrived today so it's time to listen to my bad music and clean.